Spartan locker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spartan locker

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 08-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
jeepkid93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Spartan locker

Im buying a Dana 30 with 4:10 gears and a spartan locker for my dd/plow truck.. I'm going to take the spartan locker out due to me plowing snow in the winter and I heard it would be hard to plow with a locker. What part do I have to buy to put in my axle when I take the locker out.

jeepkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I believe you just need spider gears. The thrust washers stayed in there when the locker was installed. If you like I could send you mine. No need for them after I installed my Aussie.
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A properly installed Spartan will require the removal of the thrust washers thus they should be missing.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Duck got it right. I took out thrust washers and spiders. Your gonna have to put the washers back in. Check the FSM for the correct clearance / tolerance.
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Kinless
2012 JK Wrangler 

Party till she pukes, then replace it.
Kinless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Doctor View Post
A properly installed Spartan will require the removal of the thrust washers thus they should be missing.
Oops. Its been a while since i installed my Aussie
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
cbl30
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm getting ready to install a front Spartan Locker on my DD, 01 TJ. Any regrets or concerns you had? Thanks
cbl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl30
I'm getting ready to install a front Spartan Locker on my DD, 01 TJ. Any regrets or concerns you had? Thanks
You're in GA, I'm in TX so temp range is close to equal. Mine was easy to install and is no problem on the street. No prob as in I can't tell it's there in daily driving. I am rotating tires more frequently because of the locker but that's just more on me and not a real problem (5 tire rotation every 3k). The threads I read before doing this said there are problems on slick roads (ice, snow, sleet, etc...) and I believe that is correct. I have had to back up before to disengage the locker after dropping 4 wheel hi. Not a big concern but you will need to remember what you have in there come our abbreviated winter in the south. Mine went in stupid simple.

Concerns on install: don't screw up the seals when reinstalling axles, on a spartan take out thrust washers, you will most likely have to remove carrier and ring gear for install ( mine is D30 with 3.73 and I had to ), verify with function test after reassembly, use heavier gear oil, make sure axle isn't bent or you will have some issues. Test that bad boy off road ASAP to see the awesome difference a locked axle will give you, entire vehicle will find the low side on the trail/road with a locker engaged, well worth the quirks for a locked diff!
Unread 08-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
duhamel17
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Can't agree more. One of the best mods I have done so far. Works great in deep snow (1 foot ro more), but I have not used in in anything less so I'm not sure how it would handle. Again well worth the money. Enjoy.
duhamel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
cbl30
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm getting the locker and gears in this weekend. Thanks for the reply. As in the road condtions, my Jeep doesn't handle good anyway during a hard rain. As you stated about our weather, I would never have to be in 4wd on the street. So that wouldn't be a problem. My build is very mild- 4" suspension lift, rubicon wheels, 285/75/16 Cooper STT's (33's), and Spidertrax wheel spacers. Nothing extreme but very much fun.
cbl30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.