which spark plug wires for 4.0? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > which spark plug wires for 4.0?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 06-08-2004, 01:17 PM   #1
greeneggsnham

which spark plug wires for 4.0?

i went to auto zone to replace my plug wires. selected the double silicone lifetime plug wires for twenty bucks. the guy turned out to be a jeeper with a 2k tj. he said that he replaced his plugs and wires with the az double silicon and it ran like crap so he changed wires to the az bosch wires that sell for thirty something bucks and "it made all the difference in the world". he said because of the odbe or something that the 4.0 had to have original equipment wires or good wires like the bosch. my stealership wants forty one dollars for the stock wires. i'm wondering what the heck? any thoughts or suggestions? i'm running a 98TJ with a 4.0 and champion truck plugs.

Unread 06-08-2004, 01:26 PM   #2
holyundrwr

not sure about the wires, but thru others and own experience, champion plugs do fire a heck of a lot better than some more expensive ones
[FONT=times new roman]LOTS MORE GOODIES, LOTS MORE TO COME![/FONT]
[COLOR=red]B[/COLOR][COLOR=white]A[/COLOR][COLOR=red]R[/COLOR][COLOR=white]B[/COLOR][COLOR=red]E[/COLOR][COLOR=white]R[/COLOR][COLOR=red]P[/COLOR][COLOR=white]O[/COLOR][COLOR=red]L[/COLOR][COLOR=white]E[/COLOR] [COLOR=red]D[/COLOR][COLOR=white]R[/COLOR][COLOR=red]I[/COLOR][COLOR=white]V[/COLOR][COLOR=red]E[/COLOR][COLOR=white]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]H[/COLOR][COLOR=white]A[/COLOR][COLOR=red]F[/COLOR][COLOR=white]T[/COLOR] [COLOR=red]J[/COLOR][COLOR=white]E[/COLOR][COLOR=red]E[/COLOR][COLOR=white]P[/COLOR] [COLOR=red]C[/COLOR][COLOR=white]L[/COLOR][COLOR=red]U[/COLOR][COLOR=white]B[/COLOR] [COLOR=red]#[/COLOR][COLOR=white]1[/COLOR]
holyundrwr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2004, 05:07 PM   #3
greeneggsnham

i am running the champion truck plugs.... and i like them. wondering about the wires?????
Unread 06-08-2004, 06:02 PM   #4
doorocks
Web Wheeler

GEH....................CLEAN OUT YOUR PM BOX!

Steve

RE 3.5 and all kinds of other relevant goodies, you know winch and stuff.

[COLOR=Red][B]Life is like walking into the No Chance Bar full of Future Darwin Stories........[/B][/COLOR]

More mods than a hillbilly's set of teeth..
doorocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2004, 08:14 PM   #5
cwbyup

Newbie question

I'm a rookie when it comes to spark plugs, so...sorry. How do you go about changing them and where are they (i think I know where but i'm not positive)? Do i just take them out and put new ones out?

John Deere Floormats
Set of 30 x 9 Dunlop Mud Rovers
4 Eagle One Off Road Lamps
CB
4' Wilson Antenna
-had not Firesticks in Stock:(
Sirius Sattelite Radio
Saving up for more toys
cwbyup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2004, 08:20 PM   #6
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbyup
I'm a rookie when it comes to spark plugs, so...sorry. How do you go about changing them and where are they (i think I know where but i'm not positive)? Do i just take them out and put new ones out?

yup, just follow the (six?) large wires that go to the passenger side of the engine, evenly spaced apart and come from the distributor cap (a single spot), where they meet the engine is the spark plugs. You should be able to pull them off and see the top of the plugs. Any autozone employee would be more than willing to give you a 5 minute crash course and show you what you need. If you feel like he's trying to sell you a load of crap. Thank him for his time and leave. Usually those guys are alot of help, and don't work on commission, so they don't care what you buy. You probably know someone who knows something about cars, ask around...

Hope this helps,

Lone Jeeper.
Unread 06-08-2004, 09:36 PM   #7
greeneggsnham

you will need an extension for the number one wire as it is behind the alternator. use a pair of pliers and gently pull the boot off the wire. it's easy if you have a long handled pair of pliers.
Unread 06-09-2004, 04:20 AM   #8
fyrfyter43

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneggsnham
i went to auto zone to replace my plug wires. selected the double silicone lifetime plug wires for twenty bucks. the guy turned out to be a jeeper with a 2k tj. he said that he replaced his plugs and wires with the az double silicon and it ran like crap so he changed wires to the az bosch wires that sell for thirty something bucks and "it made all the difference in the world". he said because of the odbe or something that the 4.0 had to have original equipment wires or good wires like the bosch. my stealership wants forty one dollars for the stock wires. i'm wondering what the heck? any thoughts or suggestions? i'm running a 98TJ with a 4.0 and champion truck plugs.
That tells me that the guy at AZ is full of ****!!! My 2k 4.0 doesn't even have wires! It has the coil rail set-up. I could be wrong, but I'm sure that all 2k's would have the coil rail set-up.
fyrfyter43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2004, 04:42 AM   #9
TJinWV
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbyup
Just a quick note of help for the rook - take them off and replace them one at a time! If you take them all off together, you'll forget which plug goes where on the dist, and you'll have to log on to JeepForum and ask someone.

How do I know this?
Unread 06-09-2004, 07:34 AM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

OE plug wires are hard to beat. Most other plug wires are junk, even the so-called premium wires. NONE of them will make your engine run any better than the OE wires do, that is for sure. Avoid at all costs those "low resistance" wires since they'll only make more ignition noise that your radio will pick up.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2004, 10:15 AM   #11
mattyxxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfyter43
That tells me that the guy at AZ is full of ****!!! My 2k 4.0 doesn't even have wires! It has the coil rail set-up. I could be wrong, but I'm sure that all 2k's would have the coil rail set-up.
That is exactly what i was thinking.... you beat me to it!
All the 4.0 2k and on have the coil rail....
I hate AZ.... horrible store.
But then again i work for the competition! AAP

[COLOR=yellow]Yellow Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR]
mattyxxl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2004, 01:14 PM   #12
greeneggsnham

i went with ac delco wires. seems to be running fine and steady.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.