Spare tire on tailgate: Reinforcement brackets? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spare tire on tailgate: Reinforcement brackets?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Spare tire on tailgate: Reinforcement brackets?

OR-FAB and TNT Customs sell spare tire carriers that mount to the tub. They have reinforcement brackets for the tub to help support the weight and stress of the new spare tire carrier. My 33" spare tire carrier is mounted to the tailgate. So my question is: Does anyone sell reinforcement brackets to mount behind/inside the tub and (maybe on the backside of the tailgate too) to reinforce the hinge/tailgate when you've got a larger spare mounted on the tailgate? Anybody ever tried this?

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The aftermarket tire carriers that bolt to the tub are a big improvement over the stock tire carrier, but still suffer from issues with getting caught up on ledges. For the most part, they bypass the weak points in the stock setup.

1) tailgate hinges - where to find decent looking hinges that would still allow safe functionality of the tailgate?
2) tailgate door striker - the list of door striker upgrade threads are zip
3) stock tire carrier - if you can build a stronger one, you may as well build the bumper and swing out to go with it
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
Steelman
IX-X-XIII-XIV-XL-XLIII

1998 TJ Wrangler 

been running my 33" spare tire on the stock tire carrier for at least 3, if not 4 years...it's still hanging there, and the tailgate works just as good as new. Make sure that the spare is snug against the rubber snubbers (or bumpers, or what ever you may want to call them).
my rig: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Are you bipolar, passive agressive, or just unable to recognize the dichotomy of your thought processes?
Steelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I too have been hoping to see something to simply reinforce the existing tailgate to be able to run a taller tire on it. I believe that someone makes one for the JK but not the TJ. What is it that usually causes the problem. Is it the hinges bending or the tailgate warping?
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've been running 35's on the stock carriers for years with no problems.Get the weight off the carrier and onto the bumper some.Adjust the bumpstops on the tailgate too.Easily welded bracket.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I like and use the bestop carrier. Used hockey pucks are your freind..
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 01:52 AM   #7
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll have to try and fabricate something and see what I can come up with.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
john NC
1979 CJ5 

i've had a 33 on mine for a couple of years no problem, i just relocated the 3rd brakelight to the center of the spare and made sure it was nice and snug against the rubber bumpers

i do put it in the back when i take it offroad though
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
BestopTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
OR-FAB and TNT Customs sell spare tire carriers that mount to the tub. They have reinforcement brackets for the tub to help support the weight and stress of the new spare tire carrier. My 33" spare tire carrier is mounted to the tailgate. So my question is: Does anyone sell reinforcement brackets to mount behind/inside the tub and (maybe on the backside of the tailgate too) to reinforce the hinge/tailgate when you've got a larger spare mounted on the tailgate? Anybody ever tried this?
That's basically what the Bestop tire carrier for the TJ is. The advantage is it allows the tire to swing w/ the tailgate.

If you fabricate something yourself, keep in mind that it's not so much the weight that's an issue, it's the cavitation - the back and forth bending. Sort of like how you can stand on an empty beer can, but if you bend the sides even a tiny bit, it won't hold any weight at all.

It's why you need to make sure your tire on the stock carrier isn't vibrating at all. Like PhulesAu, says, hockey pucks or spacers or whatever, to keep the tire still.
BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spare , tire , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.