Spare Tire Size; Axle Damage If Unequeal ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spare Tire Size; Axle Damage If Unequeal ?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 05-23-2010, 05:01 AM   #1
06choppertj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Spare Tire Size; Axle Damage If Unequeal ?

Is it rumor or fact ? On a jeep, if you put a spare on that is smaller, bigger, than the other 3 tires, will you damage the diff. ? For example, the doughnut spares that are on all newer vehicles are the norm. They seem to function well with no adverse affects. What say `Ye ?

06choppertj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 05:06 AM   #2
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

do you have a locker?

I've run a smaller spare before and didn't have a problem.

Also, I've heard problems of off sized tires causing problems. One story was that the R&P kept having troubles because of the front 2 tires being 1/2" difference in size.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 05:34 AM   #3
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

As long as you don't have a locker or a limited slip it shouldn't be a problem. If you do have a locker or LSD then the tires must be the same size.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

As long as your axles are stock and no limited slip in the rear, you'll be fine. Proof of that is new jeep models with solid rear axles come with undersized spare tires on the low-end models.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

That is only on all wheel drive jeeps, or like stated above those with lockers. If you run it in 4wd with a smaller spare it can cause problems, but in 2wd on open diff's the odd sized tire will do no harm.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you have a LSD, you are not going to distroy it. A LSD is slipping all the time in normal conditions (cars with donuts have LSDs also) A smaller spare will cause constant slip but it's not going to make it expload or wear it out quickly.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
van1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Using a smaller spare...

W/locking diff. Dont do it unless it is your last resort...as it would be hard on the components and driving as it would act like you were constantly turning, drive slow...

W/LSD Don't do it unless it is almost your last resort(I wouldnt do it) unless it was the last resort. On a LSD with clutches it would cause wear and is hard on it...still drive slow but would be easier than a locked diff

W/open I would do it, but don't do it for long periods as it makes the diff work harder and causes wear as it would be constantly working the spider gears.

I might end up running a smaller spare, but I wouldnt run it long. Just for me to get somewhere to get the org. tire fixed. This is much better than no spare....
van1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
06choppertj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for your responses. I appreciate it. You have helped me make a good decision on tire set ups.
06choppertj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by van1 View Post
Using a smaller spare...

W/open I would do it, but don't do it for long periods as it makes the diff work harder and causes wear as it would be constantly working the spider gears.
What happens then when my open diff goes around turns? If I make a bunch of rights in a row will my gears shatter?
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
As long as you don't have a locker
With a selectable locker unlocked, no problem...
Unread 05-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #11
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I know I wouldn't do it with my rear Truetrac and front Aussie. I know the front would handle it for a while as long as not in 4x4, but the rear would also get a workout I would think.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #12
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by van1 View Post
Just for me to get somewhere to get the org. tire fixed. This is much better than no spare....
Having tires of drastically different sizes on an open differential only cause uneven tire wear on the other tire and maybe a little pull from the weight being off balanced from the lean. As others said the LSD/lockers won't like it either.

Short term don't worry about it, long term....... there shouldn't be a long term.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt283 View Post
What happens then when my open diff goes around turns? If I make a bunch of rights in a row will my gears shatter?
Do you drive in circles for 100+ miles? It won't be a problem with different sized tires for short distances, but don't just leave it for weeks/months.
Unread 05-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #14
perrymn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

great question! Thanks
Unread 05-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
wlmonk
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My two cents: If you are putting a spare on a LSD, the spare doesn't need to be the same SIZE as the other three tires, but it should be the same DIAMETER.

Just wanted to clear that little matter up.
wlmonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
limited slip , locker , spare , tire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.