spare tire lock. how to remove without key! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > spare tire lock. how to remove without key!

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-20-2003, 09:11 PM   #1
eastwood

spare tire lock. how to remove without key!

here is my problem, by the way, this is my first post so bare with me. the key lock for my spare tire is stripped out. is there a universal key i can get some where? i took it to the jeep dealer and they told me they could cut it off, but it would cost me $100! has anyone been in this situation? and of so, what did you do?

eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2003, 09:17 PM   #2
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Go to a tire shop. They can get it off for you, or you can pound a socket onto the lock and use that. You probably won't be able to use the socke again. Also you could try a cut off wheell.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2003, 09:22 PM   #3
fashionbiff

Sometimes you can get lucky, losen the other two nuts and then try and loosen the lock with a pair of vise grips. To increase your chances you could grind two flats on opp. sides and try the vise grips or crescent with a cheater bar.

But any good tire place should be able to do it for a resonable fee.
fashionbiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2003, 09:40 PM   #4
macb

I had this problem when I got my jeep, a cheap 12 point socket that was hammered on with a BFH and it came right off - notice -
cheap socket...you probably won't be able to get it off after.

[url=http://www.cafepress.com/H2RT]No Bling - H2 Recovery Gear[/url]

Bob Supplee:supplee@ionet.net or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site: [url=http://www.stu-offroad.com]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]
macb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2003, 12:44 PM   #5
asjeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

or get a angle grinder, and grind away a slice of it.... then you can use any crowbar and turn it right off.... used to work in a tire shop that was one way we would do it

A tire shop BTW will charge about 10.00 to do it... try discount tire or sears.....

WWW.IDRIVEAJEEP.COM
asjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.