Spare Parts Question on a 03 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spare Parts Question on a 03 TJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

Spare Parts Question on a 03 TJ

I want to start collecting spare parts for my jeep that usually break or hard to find at your local part store. The problem I'm not a mechanic by any means or a car person at all. What other years or models work and would be a bolt on replacement for a 03 TJ Sport? I'm talking axle's and axle shafts, knuckles, gears and such. I have a D30 and D35 and eventually yes will upgrade to D44 or D60's. But that won't be for a while so tryign to grab spare parts.

Cobra 29 CB, 4ft Firestick Antenna, Skid Row Evap Skid, Rockhard Engine Skid, Rockhard Tranny Skid, Mesh Grill Mod, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Front and Rear ARB Diff Covers, Smittybilt Rock Rails, KC 130Watt Long Range Lights, Delta Light Mounts, TorqFlo tranny cooler, Hood Louvers, Drake Hood Pins, AEV Snorkel, Smittybilt 10,000 Winch, Rockhard Shorty Bumper with KC 100watt Slim Light Driving Lights, JKS ACOS Front System, Breather Extensions.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
2ACR
That's Right I Support

1997 TJ Wrangler 

With 33s you shouldn't have to worry about much. You order axle shafts by year (and make: Edited) from the auto parts store or you can get them online. They will normally be sorted by year if there is a difference (which I don't think there is).

As stated when you asked this question earlier, Don't collect extra parts unless you are actually going to break something. Otherwise it is a waste of money and time. If you don't rock crawl or do some other extreme off roading, you most likely won't break anything.

If you get stuck in the mud don't let the driveshaft pop as you rock it back and forth.
Jeep Jedi in Training.
2ACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing will fit other than TJ parts as far as the axles or axle shafts go. You aren't going to have to worry about the ring and pinion gears since the shafts will snap before the R&P, and if you do snap the R&P it's not a trail fix you need to take it to a show and have it done, and at that point you would want to use their gears for warranty. You shouldn't have to worry with 33s as long as the rear is not locker, maybe carry an extra set of D35 shafts, your D30 should be fine. Your knuckles will also be fine.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

So any year TJ would work as long as the axle's are the same? I do wheel my jeep but won't be getting stronger axles anytime soon would like to have the spares on hand incase it breaks on the trail I can still drive it home. My friend found extra D30 shafts on here for 90.00 shipped so if I can get a deal it would be worth to have and could always make money if I sold them also gives a great peace of mind.
Cobra 29 CB, 4ft Firestick Antenna, Skid Row Evap Skid, Rockhard Engine Skid, Rockhard Tranny Skid, Mesh Grill Mod, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Front and Rear ARB Diff Covers, Smittybilt Rock Rails, KC 130Watt Long Range Lights, Delta Light Mounts, TorqFlo tranny cooler, Hood Louvers, Drake Hood Pins, AEV Snorkel, Smittybilt 10,000 Winch, Rockhard Shorty Bumper with KC 100watt Slim Light Driving Lights, JKS ACOS Front System, Breather Extensions.
Unread 02-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
2ACR
That's Right I Support

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Any year jeep that has an original dana 30 or 35 should fit properly. If you have ABS there will be a difference if you buy the inners and outers already together. The inners Should be the same on all models.

I wasn't trying to say you don't wheel your Jeep. The real question is how hard? I wheel pretty hard and yet to break and axle shaft. I think the key for not breaking axle shafts is 1) not having lockers 2) not spinning the tires constantly when stuck on a high friction surface (trying to climb a rock).

It is sometimes easier on the wife mod when you play dumb on the fix versus upgrade option.

It really depends on how you wheel and where to justify a good answer.
Jeep Jedi in Training.
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
2ACR
That's Right I Support

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ask the guy who took you mudding. See what he/she carries. For the mud, I would start with driveshafts and rear spider gears. A spare air filter wouldn't hurt either.
Jeep Jedi in Training.
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

I do play in the mud every once and a while also I say I do half and half was interested to know. People make it sound like it will snap if I give her some gas not stomp it but a little.
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
03GoldTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
Ask the guy who took you mudding. See what he/she carries. For the mud, I would start with driveshafts and rear spider gears. A spare air filter wouldn't hurt either.
x2 on spider gears-I destroyed mine on asphalt while making a left turn,and have never dogged my Jeep or even had it on anything more than dirt and gravel roads!
03GoldTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
2ACR
That's Right I Support

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerassassin22 View Post
I do play in the mud every once and a while also I say I do half and half was interested to know. People make it sound like it will snap if I give her some gas not stomp it but a little.
I played in the mud a lot when I was in Alabama and I never snapped anything. Every now and again I will take a friend on an annual mud bash here in Oklahoma and the most I have had to do is wash and repeat.

If you drag race it through the mud you might want to bring two spare Jeeps.

I think you will be fine as long as you don't push it when you get stuck. If it's stuck it's stuck. let someone bull you out. If the jeep starts to rock when you are trying to go forward and forward only, you are stuck and continued rocking will break things.

You will be fine as long as you use your head. You track'n?
Jeep Jedi in Training.
Unread 02-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm tracking tryign to figure out how this turned it a mud conversation But tracking.
Unread 02-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
2ACR
That's Right I Support

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I read your profile. You got the jeep after a buddy took you mudding. I assumed that is what you will be doing with it.

Have fun with it. There aren't too many things you are going to break to the point you can't get home. That is unless you do some extreme rock crawling or dog the crap out of it while your stuck.

This is my opinion. Murphy's Law will always prove me wrong. My experience is that axle shafts are the last thing to worry about when playing in the mud.
Jeep Jedi in Training.
Unread 02-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I broken or been with people who have broken many parts on the trail. The problem is you can't possibly carry all the parts, tools, and accessories to fix every "somewhat likely" senario. If you were towing your jeep then yes having the extra parts back at camp makes sense.

If you want to have the parts back at your house, just watch craigslist or other and buy a 2001-2006 D30/35 set from someone who is upgrading (probably $300). Then you will at least have all the parts at a reduced price.
Unread 02-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #13
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
I read your profile. You got the jeep after a buddy took you mudding. I assumed that is what you will be doing with it.

Have fun with it. There aren't too many things you are going to break to the point you can't get home. That is unless you do some extreme rock crawling or dog the crap out of it while your stuck.

This is my opinion. Murphy's Law will always prove me wrong. My experience is that axle shafts are the last thing to worry about when playing in the mud.
Oh Okay thought I missed something thanks for all the input and to last poster I will watch the list for spares for the house just in case I can get a steal on them.
Unread 02-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #14
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Another good thing to grab is u joints. I keep as many u joints with me as are in use on the vehicle. I would just keep buying u joints and replaceing ones that weren't even bad yet. Now I've got all new joints and some trail spares.
Unread 02-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #15
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have 1 spare as we speak how do you know if a U-Joint is bad?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.