Spare different size - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spare different size

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Spare different size

Anyone know where (or have one) I can get a single Maxxis Bighorn 31x10.5?

The guy I bought my jeep from only had the four mounted, the spare is a Goodyear Wrangler 215 75R15.....I'm assuming it wouldn't ride right if needed as a spare.

Willing to trade as well.....

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery
Morgen251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
Combatsylvania

a short distance on a undersized spare isnt horrble... just dont put in in 4 wheel drive

[URL="http://www.combatsylvania.com"]http://www.combatsylvania.com[/URL]
Combatsylvania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a compatability issue and cause major problems. I'd only use until I could get somewhere to get the main fixed.

Thanks Combatsylvania....always droppin the good knowledge.

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

Unread 06-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
KennyTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Never ever use a tire of a different size front or rear. Turning your Jeep into a tripod will cause handling problems that can kill you and someone esle on the road!

A 215/75 15 is only a 28" tire, that 3" sorter!

Seriously you can find all kinds of tires locally and on forums for less than $50 for a good spare, please find a spare that is at least the same dia.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN MAN!~
Unread 06-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

That was my first thought (not of the children, of the compatability and size difference). Maybe I can find someone who wants a trade.

Standard tire carrier on the TJ strong enough to hold a 31 without hinge damage?

BUILD:

Unread 06-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #6
TJinWV
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Lots of folks run 31s on the stock carrier without issues. I noticed mine was getting a little hard to swing after a couple of years, so I got the bestop carrier.
Unread 06-06-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sweet....hoping to not have to buy a new carrier right away. Still waiting for my new top to come in....

BUILD:

Unread 06-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
Rubi22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyTJ
Never ever use a tire of a different size front or rear. Turning your Jeep into a tripod will cause handling problems that can kill you and someone esle on the road!
He's right, concerning the dangers. Otherwise, if you feel confident and it's only a short trip from the trail to your garage, it's fine as long as you don't have a locker/limited slip. It just means it'll be spinning faster than the others.. overuse of this (i assume) would cause abnormal tire wear, but for a minor ride, i don't think there'd be a problem.

But again, don't drive home confident that it'll handle like normal.
Rubi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

I think I'm just going to try to swap this one out for a spare 31 to remove all doubt. Thanks for the tips!

BUILD:

Unread 06-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
Combatsylvania

it handles like any car does on a donut..

I recently found a set of super cheap matching tires (bald) that im gonna buy so I have a full sized spare... but to get you home a smaller spare is fine.

Your only talking about a 1.5" radius difference... now if it was a set 35 inch tires with a 28" spare i wouldn't dream of using it.

[URL="http://www.combatsylvania.com"]http://www.combatsylvania.com[/URL]
Combatsylvania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2007, 08:45 PM   #11
JEEP97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How have those maxxis bighorns performed--street/trail. I am looking at some 31x10.5 or 32x11.5 bighorns? good luck with your spare
Unread 06-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #12
Rubi22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatsylvania
good point...
Rubi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 07:16 AM   #13
PeteC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatsylvania

Exactly.

There will be no problem getting off the road with a smaller spare. Treat it like a donut and you will be fine. Slow speeds.

Used a smaller (30 when I was running 33) tire on the back of my TJ once to get somewhere to get it fixed. I have the TracLoc LSD in the back but had no problems with handling. I just drove speed limits to town from the campground.

I have heard it could be a problem with a lunch box locker though. Difference in wheel spin would cause the locker to engage. I could see this being an issue in the front especially.

Seems that I have heard many times that a tire within one size would work, even in these circumstances.

On the trail though, you should have a spare as close in size as you can. Afterall, any difference onthe road will be multiplied offroad when off camber or climbing.

I carry a spare from my old set of tires. 33x9.5 BFG AT. My present tires are 33x12.5 TrXus MT's. When I increase my tires to 35 or 36" I will be buying 5 unless I find a great deal on 4. In which case I would be looking for a used 35 or 36 with even minimum tread left. Just enough to get me off the trail and get me home.
There is no Bandaid for Stupidity
Sorry if my support of legal wheeling offends you
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 07:47 AM   #14
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

My bighorns are great......so I'm looking for a 5th spare if anyone has one/knows of where to get one for a good deal.

So I'll treat it like a donut until I get me a spare. Makes sense to me..and I've got no lockers so I should be good to go there.

BUILD:

Unread 06-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #15
NYresq

if the flat was in the rear I would take the time to swap one of the front tires to the rear and put the smaller tire on the non driving axel to save the diff. even a factory posi rear will eat itself in a short period of time with a smaller tire size on the same drive axel.
NYresq is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.