Spacer lifts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spacer lifts?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 10-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
99TJNC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Spacer lifts?

I was planning on getting the Zone 3 Inch suspension lift about a month ago, but due to my budget being so tight here lately with school and such, I've decided that buying it and everything I would need to go with it is out of my price range for now. With that being said, are spacer lifts a good short term alternative?

I just looked at the Zone spacer kit but I haven't really researched them too much yet. This would be used for probably around a year, and I figured that it would give me a chance to familiarize myself somewhat with the suspension components before I tackled an actual full-on suspension lift.

So what are yall's opinions on these kinds of lifts? any experience with this one in particular?

Thanks for any help

99TJNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Look at Rough Country. Just go look. Ignore stupid stuff you have heard from people who don't own anything made by Rough Country.

The spacer lift will have less usable travel than a comparable height spring lift, especially if the spring lift has progressive springs.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Spacer lifts are good, inexpensive first step toward modifying your jeep and if you do things thoughtfully can be useful for some time as you do more.
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A 2" spacer lift combined with a 1" body lift will provide room for bigger tires without breaking the bank. Ride quality is also near stock.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
99TJNC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, thanks for the input. Will I need anything other than what comes with the spacer kit? I think it comes with shocks and spacers and bumpstop extensions. Anything else needed?
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have 4 spacers you can have if you pay for shipping. Pretty sure they are 2 inch spacers. Havent measured them.
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
leaf777
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I ran a rubicon expess 2" spacer lift for 4 years. Other than the cheap shocks it worked great to clear 31" tires. No other parts were needed.
leaf777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
buckeyedolfan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor0770 View Post
I have 4 spacers you can have if you pay for shipping. Pretty sure they are 2 inch spacers. Havent measured them.
i might take them if he doesn't......
buckeyedolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #9
99TJNC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I may take you up on that Connor0770. I'm still looking into things right now though, so I'll have to get back to you on that in the next day or so. If I do the ~2 inch spacer lift and a 1 inch body lift, will this be a good set up?

Also, what, if any, problems come with the body lift? It seems like I read something about having trouble shifting after a body lift. Not sure though, it was a while ago.
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #10
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJNC View Post
Also, what, if any, problems come with the body lift? It seems like I read something about having trouble shifting after a body lift. Not sure though, it was a while ago.
No problems at all with a BL.I put a 2.25" BB (spacer lift) and a 1" BL on my brother's Jeep with 33's.He drove it that way for a few years before I installed a 4" lift for his 35's.

Spacers and body lift on 33's.It rode very good.

TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
geyo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have had boot/shifting problems. Tough getting into 2nd, more so than stock. The hose going from gas cap to the fuel tank needs to be lengthened. The PO (who put on the BL) Cut corners and just put a smaller cooling fan on and cut the fan shroud to fit. I don't know if I..HAD TO...put an electric fan in. But, I did to get my ac working at low speeds. It is a good first mod. Just wouldn't go too big because of the gap it creates. I would have done it on a budget. I am recent college grad so budget is a factor. You have to weigh in if you are going to put new tires on, probably want new rims. Cost more to replace larger tires...It does allow you to set your jeep apart from others. I think its worth it aesthetically, makes me like my jeep more. The performance is nothing to speak of. Just my $.02
geyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geyo View Post
I have had boot/shifting problems. Tough getting into 2nd, more so than stock. The hose going from gas cap to the fuel tank needs to be lengthened. The PO (who put on the BL) Cut corners and just put a smaller cooling fan on and cut the fan shroud to fit. I don't know if I..HAD TO...put an electric fan in. But, I did to get my ac working at low speeds. It is a good first mod. Just wouldn't go too big because of the gap it creates. I would have done it on a budget. I am recent college grad so budget is a factor. You have to weigh in if you are going to put new tires on, probably want new rims. Cost more to replace larger tires...It does allow you to set your jeep apart from others. I think its worth it aesthetically, makes me like my jeep more. The performance is nothing to speak of. Just my $.02
You are confusing a body lift with coil spacer lifts which is what OP is posting about. And your comments aren't even all correct as it relates to body lifts.
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
threeb

2004 LJ Wrangler 

It's not bad money spent as the body lift can be used with any suspension lift. Get free spacers, body lift and start building. Don't forget to get proper bumpstops.

To start with any way.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeb View Post
It's not bad money spent as the body lift can be used with any suspension lift. Get free spacers, body lift and start building. Don't forget to get proper bumpstops.

To start with any way.
I love your color Jeep.How's the Auto tranny holding up?
Unread 10-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #15
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
You are confusing a body lift with coil spacer lifts which is what OP is posting about. And your comments aren't even all correct as it relates to body lifts.

Tags
lift , spacer , tj , zone

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.