Soundbar Covering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soundbar Covering

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
twhditto
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Soundbar Covering

I need to pick your minds. I took the soundbar (factory) out of my son's Jeep and cut the metal, and used MDF to make boxes to hold some 6X9's. I need to cover them with something. I am thinking about the speaker "carpet" or some other kind of thin carpet to go around it. Anyone got any ideas as to what will look better? There was some sort of fabric, obviously easy to wipe clean on it before with a cotton back, that was zipped on. We will probably use contact cement to put something over it to cover up the MDF and such. We are open to any and all suggestions. THANX!

Unread 08-01-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Isn't MDF board supposed to keep dry? I thought it will bubble the first time it gets water on it.... Oughta be fun first time your son gets it muddy or leaves the top down in a rainstorm.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #3
twhditto
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. I have used MDF quite a bit, and have found that if it is correctly sealed - and we are not talking about a very big piece - just a small box on each end of the sound bar - that it will work fine. Now pressed wood is a different story! I use the marine grade polyurethane, after sealing the ends with exterior glue, slathering it down good. Plus, on top of that, there will be a good coat of contact cement. I built my soundbar - the whole thing - out of MDF four years ago, and it has seen its "wets" and drys. No noticeable problems yet. In fact, just last week, I took off one of the 6X9's to see if a connection had come loose - stupid FM radio station had a problem with its left channel - worked fine when I changed stations! And BTW, he does love the mud and wet! Maybe I ought to put turf down on it???
Unread 08-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

... Turf may not be such a bad idea. How close is the factory covering to being able to fit? You could try to sew in some sort of extension for it, that way the part that faces the interior still looks factory.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
twhditto
2003 TJ Wrangler 

PS - I forgot - when I got my speaker off, the MDF was intact and good as new - no signs of "weathering." But, I am also a 46 year old - old man!
Unread 08-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
twhditto
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Andy,

That is not a bad idea about using the factory stuff. We are not talking about a huge addition either. I think I will hold on to it and see what I can come up with! But black turf may really look good too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.