sound dampening the inside of a hard top? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > sound dampening the inside of a hard top?

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
archer75

sound dampening the inside of a hard top?

I don't much care for the interior of the hard top, it's white. I'd like to darken it up by painting it but was thinking that I could try to find some sound dampening material and line it with that. Has anyone done anything like this?

archer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Michael_K

Yes I have.

Michael K.
Unread 09-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
garybattles
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What materials did you use?
Unread 09-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
Michael_K

D-amplifier sound deadening mats and Hardtop liner by California top.
Unread 09-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
highrisetj39.5
2000 TJ Wrangler 

hardtop liner looks nice hows it do? really work well?
2000 Tj 4.7L supercharged, with a nv3500 and SYE np231. Currie Hp 9"s w/ 4.56 and arbs, rubicon express 4.5" SF, 1" BL, 35" BFG M/T, warn m8000, all custom armor, cage and bumpers front and rear with tire swing away, CB, Currie HD steering, and some other things
highrisetj39.5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #6
rljsrubicon
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Very Nice

I like that a lot.. Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_K
Yes I have.

Michael K.
rljsrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
Sko
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Michael K. - Looks good. Is it noticably quiter?
'06 Unlimited Rubi, auto, 6" LA, Dirt Logic shocks, 35" MTRs, 4.88's, ARB locker rear, stock Rubi lockers front, discos, Currie HD tie-rod, Jardine exhaust, OMF bead locks, Rock Hard sport cage, home made bumper/tire carrier, crusher corners, sliders, Fabtech front bumper, Superwinch EP9000, Vanco big brake kit, Lowrance GPS, Safari Straps nets,
Sko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #8
thesherm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

for an easy job with a custom look and a lot cheaper, get 1/2" foam, a can of adhesive spray and the fabric of your choice at walmart or a fabric store.

i would post pics but my hardtop is buried in the back of the garage for another month or so.
Unfortunately you are one of those poor misguided folks that believes leaving the gear shift lever in one slot or another is an indication of control.

Come go for a ride and I'll be glad to demonstrate the difference between what you perceive incorrectly as "control" and what control actually is.

Pick a different reason because that one is both lame and stupid to perpetuate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Pardon me for damaging your precious reputation. It's not that I disagree, that would be a difference of opinion. This isn't subjective, it's objective, you are just wrong. If you make that statement, you are misguided. It is that simple.
thesherm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Are you trying to reduce wind noise or what?
TheMightyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #10
Michael_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrisetj39.5
hardtop liner looks nice hows it do? really work well?
I don't know. I have insulated the whole jeep, not just the hardtop.

Yes it is noticeably quieter than before putting in the insulation. I did sound measurement but I cannot find the excel file.

As far as I remember, my TJ used to hit 88db on highway. It is below 80 more like 76db average.

Anything above 85db will cause you to lose your hearing over time. I don't want to wear a hearing aid when I get old.

As far as putting thick insulation vs thin, you gotta understand that there are roughly two tasks when insulating, sound insulation and heat insulation. Heat insulation is accomplished by thick foam type material where it traps heat. Whereas when you are trying to quiet things down in a vehicle, you attach dense and relatively heavy material on surfaces where the vibration causing the noise. By adding more weight to the flat surface where it vibrates, more energy is needed vibrate. Adding more weight usually stops most of vibration.

Foam type is also used to absorb echoing within the vehicle. The hardtop liner was used for that purpose and to hide the insulation mat.

Michael K.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.