Something went bang while articulating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Something went bang while articulating

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
gunnerbags
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Something went bang while articulating

While i was driving diagonally down a hill and onto a driveway i heard this loud bang come from the rear end while in full articulation. I drove it home and it definately swayed and sagged in the right rear. Took a look today and found that the swaybar and links, coils, shocks were in good condition. But then i found that the upper and lower connecting arms (right terminology?) were all crooked and the bushings looked all messed up. Also I noticed that the rear was sagging and the axle was bumped 3/4" to the right. I am going to replace them but I am so perplexed that this happened and will just replacing them solve the problem or is there something else causing this? If anyone has had this problem I would really appreciate their input. Thanks!!

gunnerbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you lost your track bar with that shift to the right. I wonder if that's not what racked your control arms out of shape.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
gunnerbags
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It looks like the track bar has 2 bends in it; one halfway down the bar so it clears the exhaust and then one by the upper attachment point. Im not sure the second one is supposed to be there because if it is then that would def be why. Its just kind of funny that it went not doing anythign too extreme.
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

check the welds on your track bar mounts really closely. You could have torn the bracket from the axle or the frame side.
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
gunnerbags
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I compared my track bar to pictures I found online and the bends look like they are in the right places. The brackets look fine and I can't see any cracks or tears in the welds.
Unread 08-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Pictures of the whole area, then. Someone'll spot the damage pretty quickly.

Edit: the only other thing that comes to mind would be a coil spring. If the rear is "sagging" and you're shifted to one side, you could have broken a coil and partially collapsed it. I know you said you checked that, but go over it again. Also check the upper and lower perches.

Unread 08-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I guess it could also be possible that you bent or sheared a CA bolt, and the pressure from the CA and bushing is holding the 2 halves in? Put a socket on everything and make sure nothing is spinning free.
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
BliZZard911
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The loud bang is usually the rear anti-sway bar snapping. I know this because I've broken two so far, even with extended links. You may not be able to see it as they sometimes break in the bushing that's bolted to the frame (one on each side). This would explain the swaying after it broke.

I would bet money that this is what broke.
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BliZZard911 View Post
The loud bang is usually the rear anti-sway bar snapping. I know this because I've broken two so far, even with extended links. You may not be able to see it as they sometimes break in the bushing that's bolted to the frame (one on each side). This would explain the swaying after it broke.

I would bet money that this is what broke.
Certainly possible...but what about the axle shift?

Unread 08-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
gunnerbags
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well I worked on it for a few hours yesterday making sure all bolts are tight on the CA's and disconected the track bar. The upper and lower brackets looked straight with good welds and the bar looked undamaged. I loosened the CA bolts again and banged the axel from the right until it was back in alignment and retightened the bolts. When I lowered the jeep and went to reconnect the track bar the bolt went in perfectly and the rear stayed in place. Yet the right rear still saggs a little bit and I think the sound I heard was from overcompressing the spring which I will be replacing tomorrow with a set of new ones. Hopefully this works as I believe it will.
Unread 08-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
gunnerbags
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow! Replaced the coils in the rear today and the rear doesn't sag anymore. But once on the road the swaying was back. Turns out the swaybar link in the left front popped out of its socket less than a year after replacing them. Bought them from quadratec and they are the replacement ones....GARBAGE!! Lots of little things wrong from one thing letting go.
Unread 11-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
skorp1702
1994 YJ Wrangler 

did you try the rugged ridge disconnects i have them on my cj and i tweek 1 tire 39 inches in the air all the time with the sway bar connected and disconnected. man they just just dont make them like they used to. also i know you said you realigned it but it might be a good an alignment done after you fix the sway bar connecting rods.

Last edited by skorp1702; 11-06-2012 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: adding
skorp1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #13
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Time for a rear AntiRock..

My idea of help from the man above is a sniper on the roof.
Diverdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment , axel , bushings , suspension

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.