Something in ignition going bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Something in ignition going bad?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
TJJeepJosh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Something in ignition going bad?

This started a few days ago. I'll get in and turn the key to start the jeep and nothing. no clicking no turning over nothing at all. Doesn't happen every time I start it but when it does if I let it sit or try a few more times sometimes it works. Other times it takes longer than that. Was thinking bad battery at first but other electronics work fine. Plus when it finally does start it fires up just fine. Would think with a bad battery it would need to be jumped. Could something be going bad in the key cylinder/ignition on the steering wheel?

Unread 02-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
CBTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

There is an actuator rod in the column that wears out......you should check that out. Its behind the plastic covers on the column
CBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think it's a #20 torx security bit to remove the ignition switch. You can remove the switch without taking everything apart to see if the end has broke.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ig...epair-1378503/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ig...epair-1184102/
Unread 02-14-2014, 04:27 AM   #4
TJJeepJosh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks I'll check that out when I get home today
Unread 02-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have something similar happening. Not sure exactly but things to look at if you haven't already
- Ignition pin as mentioned, Dorman makes a replacement for like 20-30 bucks. Going through the dealer will cost you 800 as the replace pretty much everything involving the steering column
- Battery connections. Make sure they are clean and tight
- Starter Relay. I think you can swap out your horn or wipers (can't remember) and see if it works
- Starter. You can pull and get it tested but if it is intermittent they may not be able to replicate
- Grounds. There are a bunch
All that has been done and I still get it everyonce in a while
Unread 02-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
JeepSgt
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJeepJosh
This started a few days ago. I'll get in and turn the key to start the jeep and nothing. no clicking no turning over nothing at all. Doesn't happen every time I start it but when it does if I let it sit or try a few more times sometimes it works. Other times it takes longer than that. Was thinking bad battery at first but other electronics work fine. Plus when it finally does start it fires up just fine. Would think with a bad battery it would need to be jumped. Could something be going bad in the key cylinder/ignition on the steering wheel?
Had the same problem. Ended up having to replace battery cables to starter as well as the ground wire and later the cable that runs to the power distro box. Internal wire corrosion was the problem.
JeepSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

^^^
That is my next suspicion.
Unread 02-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
TJJeepJosh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well I ordered the doorman actuator pin ignition switch so I'll install that and see how it works. If that doesn't fix it I'll have to look into other things.
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
TJJeepJosh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So I got the new part put it in and it seemed to fix it. But later on I drove over to a friends house and it took 3 turns of the key to start it there and then another 3-4 later at taco bell. Seems like if I push the clutch in really fast or hard before starting it helps. Also sometimes it begins to turn over and start then stops. Almost like something is loose or not connected entirely. Maybe a ground or a cable?
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #10
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like your clutch safety interlock switch is going bad.......
SomeBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #11
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Before going and replacing the Safety Interlock Switch there is a fuse you can put in to override it. I thought mine was the same and did the fuse trick but that wasn't it.

Oh and keep your old ignition switch. Now you have a spare. If the metal cage and the plastic pin looked ok then odds are it was never anything wrong with it.
Unread 02-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #12
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
Before going and replacing the Safety Interlock Switch there is a fuse you can put in to override it. I thought mine was the same and did the fuse trick but that wasn't it.

Oh and keep your old ignition switch. Now you have a spare. If the metal cage and the plastic pin looked ok then odds are it was never anything wrong with it.
I agree, but it is another place to conduct your troubleshooting.....
SomeBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Difference between troubleshooting and throwing parts at it. I would bypass for a while and if it doesn't happen then replace
Unread 02-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
TJJeepJosh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post

When I took out the old switch I compared it to the new one and they looked exactly the same. Realized at that point that piece probably wasn't the problem. Ohwell I learned how to uninstall/install it and now have a spare.

As for the fuse, do you know which fuse it is or where it is that I can override it?
EDIT: After a quick search I found some threads on how to do it.
Unread 02-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #15
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have two spares. My liberty uses the same switch as well. That one the cage had broken off at the tip so when the plastic pin went to go in it was being pushed to the side and not hitting the contact.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.