some more questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > some more questions.

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-23-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
bigtim6656
2005 TJ Wrangler 

some more questions.

Ok I need to do some mantniece on my jeep. Brakes, plugs, air filter, tie rod I think.
Waht plugs should I go with? Before my plan was the 8 bucks a high end plugs but some of you said not to and recommend one and I forgot it.
As for brakes I do not think it needs done but I am leaning toward going ahead with it before I which tires and hunting season rolls around. SO if you could recommend what brakes work best for the tjs plus rotors. Also I think my rotors will show alot through the rims I plan on buying so do you know of one that looks good. I know a odd requst but I hate to spend 150 bucks on each rim to show ugly rotors. I know there are some nice ones out there.

Air filter is up in the air thinking KnA it has a fram in it now and properly needs a changing. As for the tie rod something makes it vibrate alittle more so at 60to70 and when I hit holes it makes a light popping noise should I go with one of the 300% stronger off road upgraded tie rod setups. 250 bucks seems worth the extra strength.
As for my set up. I am running a stock 05 wrangler x with auto trans and a 4.0 going with 31.10.5/15s if that matters for the brakes. As for plugs and air filter I do not mind spending more for the right stuff. Something that will give me more power and or more mpg is what I want cheap is not what I need or want. As for brakes the same goes. I do not mind spending the extra cash for the right stuff. Though I do not need to spend a extra 75% on brakes because someone famous uses them. I tend to spend money for something that will improve things.

Thanks guys honestly if it was not for this forum I would have traded my jeep back a long time ago.

bigtim6656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ok well for plugs since you have the newer coil pack Jeep you want Autolite APP985 they are a double platinum plug, don't get the single platinum plugs or your Jeep will run like crap. I just replaced mine autolite has a rebate on there plugs I think I paid $4.29 a piece and then I got $2 a plug back on rebate. So $2.29 a plug is great deal.

As far as brakes the best upgrade would be a Vanco big brake kit but that will run around a $1000, but for far less money a nice upgrade would be Centric Premium Rotors, and EBC Yellow Stuff front pads, and EBC Green Stuff rear pads. They are vented rotors, but they are not slotted or cross drilled, for a jeep you want vented rotors only; slots and cross drilling can fill up with mud and muck and ruin you braking, they were designed for high speed sports cars not jeeps. So Centric Premium Rotors are what you want.

For a air filter DO NOT replace it with a K&N, K&N filters are very bad for a jeep they allow too much dust into the intake and motor. Replace it with a standard paper filter, it allows plenty of air flow, while still getting the best filtration. As for mileage and a power adder, to add MPG drive the jeep nice, and you will get the best mileage you can get. As for power the only real way to get more power is to swap to a V8, a regear can put your jeep back in the power band but even a regear is $1200. So if you wanted more performance and MPG you shouldn't have bought a Jeep.

As far tire rod there are many options I think one of the best and cheapest is to convert to the tie rod from a V8 ZJ Grand Cherokee, it is much stronger than a stock TJ tie rod and it is bolt in.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 02:02 AM   #3
bigtim6656
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, DO not think I need a 1000 brake job. LOL Glad you said to stay away from the drilled rotors was planning on them after looking at them. I think the double autolites are what everyone recommend before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
Ok well for plugs since you have the newer coil pack Jeep you want Autolite APP985 they are a double platinum plug, don't get the single platinum plugs or your Jeep will run like crap. I just replaced mine autolite has a rebate on there plugs I think I paid $4.29 a piece and then I got $2 a plug back on rebate. So $2.29 a plug is great deal.

As far as brakes the best upgrade would be a Vanco big brake kit but that will run around a $1000, but for far less money a nice upgrade would be Centric Premium Rotors, and EBC Yellow Stuff front pads, and EBC Green Stuff rear pads. They are vented rotors, but they are not slotted or cross drilled, for a jeep you want vented rotors only slots and cross drills can fill up with mud and much and ruin you braking they are designed for high speed sports cars not jeeps. So Centric Premium Rotors are what you want.

For a air filter DO NOT replace it with a K&N, K&N filters are very bad for a jeep they allow too much dust into the intake and motor. Replace it with a standard paper filter, it allows plenty of air flow, while still getting the best filtration. As for mileage and a power adder, to add MPG drive the jeep nice, and you will get the best mileage you can get. As for power the only real way to get more power is to swap to a V8, a regear can put your jeep back in the power band but even a regear is $1200. So if you wanted more performance and MPG you shouldn't have bought a Jeep.

As far tire rod there are many options I think one of the best and cheapest is to convert to the tie rod from a V8 ZJ Grand Cherokee, it is much stronger than a stock TJ tie rod and it is bolt in.
Unread 05-23-2010, 05:31 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim6656 View Post
Thanks, DO not think I need a 1000 brake job. LOL Glad you said to stay away from the drilled rotors was planning on them after looking at them. I think the double autolites are what everyone recommend before.
Champion makes double platinums also that work fine if you have any difficulty finding the Autolites.

I agree on brake setup. I have the Centric Premium/EBC Yellowstuff combo up front and am very happy with it.

If you want to mess with your air intake do a search on here for "cowl intake". Involves finding junkyard airbox and doing a little cutting, but I think its a useful mod for a few different reasons.

The ZJ tierod is a good and simple steering upgrade. If you want to go a little farther though check out Currie steering.
Unread 05-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
bigtim6656
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I will not use champion plugs for nothing. I know alot of people use them and have no issues. A few years ago we owned a jetski repair shop and we bought a box of champion plugs. The guy wanted champions since they where what came in it. I ordered a box from our supplier as it was cheaper then buying one or two from autozone. Out of I think 12 there were 10 of them bad.
I looked at the currie steering and think that might be the way to go.

Thanks guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Champion makes double platinums also that work fine if you have any difficulty finding the Autolites.

I agree on brake setup. I have the Centric Premium/EBC Yellowstuff combo up front and am very happy with it.

If you want to mess with your air intake do a search on here for "cowl intake". Involves finding junkyard airbox and doing a little cutting, but I think its a useful mod for a few different reasons.

The ZJ tierod is a good and simple steering upgrade. If you want to go a little farther though check out Currie steering.
Unread 05-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim6656 View Post
I will not use champion plugs for nothing. I know alot of people use them and have no issues. A few years ago we owned a jetski repair shop and we bought a box of champion plugs. The guy wanted champions since they where what came in it. I ordered a box from our supplier as it was cheaper then buying one or two from autozone. Out of I think 12 there were 10 of them bad.
I looked at the currie steering and think that might be the way to go.

Thanks guys
I'm using double platinum champion plugs in my 2000 Sport, they work very well...
Unread 05-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
bigtim6656
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have heard alot of people say their great plugs. I and my dad have had some issues so I stay away from them. Would I wait and order the autolites properly. In a pinch would I use the champion if I had to yes IF I HAD TO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
I'm using double platinum champion plugs in my 2000 Sport, they work very well...

Tags
air filter , maintenance , spark plug

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.