Some innovative new recovery products from Tactical Recovery Equipment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Some innovative new recovery products from Tactical Recovery Equipment

Ford Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimSave 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesThe Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 10-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Some innovative new recovery products from Tactical Recovery Equipment

Based in Las Vegas, there's a new company called Tactical Recovery Equipment that is focused solely on high quality and the safe recovery of our Jeeps.

www.tacticalrecoveryequipment.com

What caught my ear when I spoke with the owner, Ricky Garza, was that their products are American made... no cheap imports. I'm all about using American product whenever I can so I jumped at the chance to try some of their gear out.

This is what showed up several days later and the hawse design popped out at me, it's unique and, well, you'll see what it does in the last photo. Orange rope looks cool with my black TJ and it's highly visible during recovery operations so that's what I went with again... TRE has pretty much any color synthetic winch line you want.

Getting it ready, my old fairlead will be replaced by TRE's new hawse.

TRE's hardware is first-class, there's a big difference between it and the cheap imported stuff that is commonly provided.

For those who haven't yet installed a new rope, I'm on my 5th or 6th, that little allen-head screw and line holder I'm installing here only holds the rope enough so you can start winding it on... it doesn't actually have any load on it when you're winching.

Next, the rope tail is duct-taped down and using the motor to carefully wind the rope in, you place the first layer of line down evenly over the drum. That first layer is what holds the line and isolates the load from where the rope is attached to the side of the drum.

Make sure the new rope is wound on so it comes off the bottom of the drum.

Something interesting about winch line is how little safety margin the typical 5/16" wire rope that comes with most winches really has. The breaking strength of 5/16" galvanized wire rope is between 9,200 and 9,800 lbs.

Contrast that with 3/8" synthetic line that typically has just over a 19,000 lb. breaking strength.

So now that the new line has its first layer on the drum, about 10 wraps, it's time to wind it on under load. I usually connect to a friend's Jeep to serve as an anchor point.

It's important the new winch line be wound in under sufficient load to prevent the line from being pulled down through the layers during a hard pull which can damage it. After shifting the transmission into Neutral, I pull the parking brake handle up several clicks to give a substantial load and start winching my Jeep towards the anchor point. Somewhere close to 500 lbs. of load is good.

Guiding the rope in is not a time to be chatting with your buddies, stay focused here since this can be dangerous if you're inattentive... wear gloves and guide the rope in so the winds are next to each other.

Know where the end of the rope is, the TRE rope comes with a black chafe protector so you can tell when you're getting near the end.

Finished with the winch line and hawse installation. What surprised me is how much I like the hawse design that has a built-in holder for the Safety Thimble. I wasn't sure I liked it at first but it positions the Safety Thimble on top and out of the way when not in use. Plus having come from a roller fairlead, I needed to use a 3/4" shackle to secure the Safety Thimble to the recovery point. TRE's design eliminates that extra step and the shackle. It was hard for me to abandon my trusty roller fairlead but TRE's unique hawse design convinced me it was time to make the switch.

Something else that is new from TRE is the below "Soft Shackle".

I was scratching my head on how it would be used until I chatted with Blaine Johnson and Ricky about it. For example, imagine your Jeep has flopped on its side and you need a quick way to attach the winch line to the roll cage.

As soon as it was connected as described, its utility and usefulness immediately became apparent.

That red nylon line protruding out is pulled to enlarge the loop so it can be pulled from around that 'Monkey's Fist' knot. I dunno if that's the correct name for that knot but until I get corrected, that's my name for it.

Anyway, TRE's Soft Shackle is a cool product I didn't know I needed until I saw it and tried it out. Sometimes the simplest things have the most utility.

The bottom line is I'm impressed with what I've seen from Tactical Recovery Equipment, they're not just a retailer that sells other people's stuff. They came up with these designs and more cool stuff is on the way.

I sure like what I see... it's hard to come up with new Jeep recovery ideas but TRE is doing it.

www.tacticalrecoveryequipment.com

I also want to thank Ricky and TRE for their very generous donations made to Operation Desert Fun, a recent annual charitable fundraiser event for disabled US military veterans. That's where I installed these products and the disabled US military vets in attendance were most grateful for the donations.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Job Jerry, I'm glad you like the soft shackle. They do a nice job on them. Wait until you see and use their sub 2 lb snatch block.
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool products. I'll be taking a look at them soon as I'm in the market for some new recovery gear and a new line.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cool info, thanks.

Curious why the switch to hawse? I thought you were a fan of the rollers?
Shark_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_13 View Post
Cool info, thanks.

Curious why the switch to hawse? I thought you were a fan of the rollers?
As explained above, I am still a fan of roller fairleads... it was a difficult decision but I liked how their hawse holds the Safety Thimble without needing a shackle. It has proven simpler and faster than it was when the Safety Thimble was secured with the shackle. I have literally given away two conventional aluminum hawses but I'll run this one.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
F9K9
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not grasping the way that the soft shackle works. Please dumb it down for someone that is possibly older than Jerry.

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.

Last edited by F9K9; 10-25-2014 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: I'm old
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

How many feet of 3/8" line did you put on and what is the most number of feet you can install on your winch?...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F9K9 View Post
I'm not grasping the way that the soft shackle works. Please dumb it down for someone that is possibly older than Jerry.
The knot acts as a stopper to keep the loop in place when you open it up and slip it over the end.

It is basically a buried tail eye splice that you are moving the outer braid down over the inner line to open the eye. When you get the eye open, put the knot through it and milk the outer braid back up to close up the loop.

Once you get it, you'll bang your head on the desk because of how simple it is.
Unread 10-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
How many feet of 3/8" line did you put on and what is the most number of feet you can install on your winch?...
The typical replacement length is 85 feet. I can put about a 1000 feet of line on my winch on my Jeep unless you want to specify a size.
Unread 10-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
cbr600rx7

Looks good.
Unread 10-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #11
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The typical replacement length is 85 feet. I can put about a 1000 feet of line on my winch on my Jeep unless you want to specify a size.

Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2014, 11:00 PM   #12
pcoplin
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to running your new products, Garza. Especially the soft shackle and new block.
Unread 10-26-2014, 01:14 AM   #13
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Wait until you see and use their sub 2 lb snatch block.
Sub 2 lb...

Might be time for some new gear.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Tactical Recovery Equipment was out at the HumpNBump event this past weekend in Logandale, NV.

We are excited to formally announce several of our new, innovative and functional products! These will be available at 4LowParts.com soon!

We are going to thank you all on Jeepforum by honoring a 10% discount on all TRE products! Code TREJF10.....and don't forget the original Safety Thimble by itself we are offering STJF15 on!

First the new Safety Thimble Fairlead. The product speaks for itself! It moves the Safety Thimble up out of the way where it needs to be. We offer this in a 5" version in black or bright dip, a 4" version in black, and stay tuned for something special!

Tactical Recovery Equipment
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #15
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

res.
Tactical Recovery Equipment
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.