some clarification and advice on 2005 rubicon unlimited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > some clarification and advice on 2005 rubicon unlimited

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 08-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
jonnytc
2008 JK Wrangler 

some clarification and advice on 2005 rubicon unlimited

Hello friends, I am thinking about buying a 2005 unlimited rubicon and was wondering if you could clear a few things up for me.

Basically, this is going to be a "fun" truck for me as my wife drives a Commander and I have 4D JK Sahara. I know a lot about the Jk's but not the other types of jeeps. I was actually thinking about buying a 2D JK Rubicon (used) but they are just too expensive right now (cheapest I have seen is 25k). I am in no rush to buy anything but there is this 2005 rubicon unlimited for sale in my area (NY) for 16,500 (58k miles) which has never been off-road and is in very good condition. Is this a good price??? And for some reason this jeep is really starting to "grow" on me and I like it more and more every time I see it.

I am NOT trying to start any "flame" threads here but I personally like the body style/features of the JK slightly better; so do you think I should wait until the used JK's come down in price??? The look of the jeep is NOT worth those extra $'s to me right now. But I was more concerned about the ESP features on the JK and how the rubi JK has the sway bar disconnect. So are those "handling features" standard on the LJ and if not, does that ESP make "off and on roading" that much different??? I just can not imagine that the new JK's could handle that much better or better at all. I could use a little education in this.

From using the search tool on this site, I think the jeep I am looking at is really an LJ??? Is this correct (as it is slightly longer than a standard jeep)??? And if so, is there anything I should check that this vechile has or is this year ok to buy??? (for instance I found some 2007 Jk saharas had different gear ratios than my 2008).

My last question is; does the rear seat have those bolts where I can put a child car seat in???

For those of you who may give a bit more technical of an answer and need to know what exactly I will be doing in this jeep; everything except steep rock crawling. Just looking for a nice jeep that I can build to my liking and not worry about all warranty issues which I have to on my sahara.

Thanks for your patience and excuse the noobish questions...

jc

jonnytc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

The 'LJ' is just an internet suffix that kinda stuck as the vehicle is actually designated a TJ Unlimited from the factory. The tub has extra length over the regular TJ that provides more backseat space and a slightly longer wheelbase which in some cases is beneficial offroad.
You can get manual sway bar disconnects for the TJ that perform equally as well as the JK's electronic method. Or their are other alternatives such as the Antirock.
The physical appearance of the longer tub of the TJ unlimited take a bit to get used to in stock form, but with a lift and 33-35" tires they simply look kick arse. I think it's be cool to own a TJ if you already have a JK. They have more of the classic Jeep look and are a blast to wheel and mod. You would be just as happy offroad with the TJ as you would a JK.
All of the TJ models have the two tether anchor points for an infant seat at the back of the tub.

Last edited by Xlr8n; 08-02-2009 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: typo specs
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

As stated you can tether your car seat in with out problems. Why would you need ESP, that was made for soccer moms for on road use. Off road it would more than likely need to be turned off anyway. And no the TJ/LJ don't have ESP. I think the handle fine with out the real reason behind it is our president is requiring it in all vehicles in the next couple of years, because there are a lot of people have never learned how drive on ice or in the rain. You can also get manual disconnects that are far better than a factory automatic one. You could also look at a sway loc, or anti-rock sway bar system that will allow you to flex and allow you to actually have a more capable off road vehicle. The LJ is longer but it is actually more like 10" longer, it is 5" between the wheel wells, and it has and additional 5" of overhang behind the rear wheel.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Heh, it's 12" longer overall with a 10" increase in wheelbase. All of that space is gained behind the front seats, a tiny bit more leg room for the rear seat and much more space behind the rear seat. It offers more room to pack stuff, and the longer wheelbase gives it a more solid ride on the highway and can be advantageous on some offroad trails. Because of the longer wheelbase, it's also rated to tow 3500 lbs vs the SWB TJ's 2500.

If I had to do it all over again, I would likely have gone with a Rubicon Unlimited rather than the regular ol' X. That said, my little red mule has since become my baby, so I wouldn't part with her unless conditions were terribly favorable.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
camper49
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
The physical appearance of the longer tub of the TJ unlimited take a bit to get used to in stock form, but with a lift and 33-35" tires they simply look kick arse......
I agree with this impression....

and I'll add my "opinion" that the TJ Unlimited Rubicon package was the high water mark so far for the factory jeep wrangler. It's what I want next.

'98 TJ wrangler sport.....gunmetal blue
XJ d30/rubicon TJ d44...33's with popular suspension mods

want to read my build threads...they're long with lots of pictures
camper49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
The 'LJ' is just an internet suffix that kinda stuck as the vehicle is actually designated a TJ Unlimited from the factory.
Wrong. It says LJ on the stamped VIN tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite
Heh, it's 12" longer overall with a 10" increase in wheelbase.
Its 15" longer overall and 10" wheelbase. 2" more rear seat room.

All LJ's have a D30/D44 with disc brakes & trac-lok. Unless its a Rubicon, then it gets the regular Rubi package with D44 hybrid front and D44 rear, air lockers front and rear, with the rear being a LSD when not locked. I love my LJ and never intend to sell it. I might rebuild it better tho
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
jonnytc
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks folks you have been a tremendous amount of help and have actually talked me into at least making an offer. I have never bought a used car from a non-dealer before so I will have to investigate exactly how that works. What do you think of the price for the rubi 2005 ($16,500)??? Or maybe a better question what should be my offer ?

thanks again

jc
jonnytc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnytc View Post
Thanks folks you have been a tremendous amount of help and have actually talked me into at least making an offer. I have never bought a used car from a non-dealer before so I will have to investigate exactly how that works. What do you think of the price for the rubi 2005 ($16,500)??? Or maybe a better question what should be my offer ?

thanks again

jc
Get at least a half dozen comparison prices of e-bay from recent sales of LJ Rubi's and use those to educate both yourself and the seller to the current market value of that vehicle with those miles.
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Wrong. It says LJ on the stamped VIN tag.

I stand corrected.
That's the first I've ever seen those designations on any factory literature or stampings.
Jeep didn't refer to it as such in any of the sales literature or parts books though, but that undoubtedly must be where the suffix originated. Good info.

(I'd keep an eye out for failure of cheap parts on that particular Jeep as it was stamped "LOWEND" )

Funny how the assembly line quirks go. My TJ Rubi has the tag mounted and bent over in the exact same fashion with paint only along the edges and the color coordinated piece of masking tape in the exact same spot.
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
OCMerrill
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnytc View Post

thanks again

jc
My thoughts are if it's clean, you like it, can afford it then go for it. The price seems about right but maybe try them down a bit. Again there is nothing like an LJ and they are even more desireable in Rubi form.

$ trade in for that jeep here in CA, Edmunds TMV says $16,200 and TMV is fairly accurate. Your not that far out of whack price wise.

I like the JK's but not the JK Unlimiteds. If they had a JK with the LJ length I would possibly bite but they dont and will more then likley never. Besides once you lift and mod...all the computer modlue resetting, traction control issues, CEL's, Stupid driveshafts, yada, Yada....With a TJ based Jeep something you never have to worry about.

The sway bar disconnect is cool but not worth the cost of admission IMO. You can add that.
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMerrill View Post
I like the JK's but not the JK Unlimiteds. If they had a JK with the LJ length I would possibly bite but they dont and will more then likley never. Besides once you lift and mod...all the computer modlue resetting, traction control issues, CEL's, Stupid driveshafts, yada, Yada....With a TJ based Jeep something you never have to worry about.

The sway bar disconnect is cool but not worth the cost of admission IMO. You can add that.

I found this pic here on JF a while back. Looks like a prototype JK "LJ." No other info.

Unread 08-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
jimmyzzer
2006 LJ Wrangler 

mine is 06 rubi lj.bought it back in january with 28k for 16,500.
here it is when I got it.

3.5 re and 33's

jimmyzzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Creek View Post
I found this pic here on JF a while back. Looks like a prototype JK "LJ." No other info.

I love it! Put that Mercedes 3.0L diesel + 6-speed in it and I'd buy it
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
OCMerrill
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Right on!

If they did it now it would sell but the diesel would not be an MBZ. So what does Fiat stand for and where does Tony like to work?

I dig the pic Bishop Creek
Unread 08-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #15
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

x2......I'd park it next to my other LJ.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.