Solution to steering wobble and death wobble...need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Solution to steering wobble and death wobble...need help

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-19-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
Sparty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Solution to steering wobble and death wobble...need help

SO.......here's an update.

2" of coil lift
1" MML
1" BL

Added a winch (~100 lbs with plate) and started to get a little wobble when front tires hit a bump in the road.

Took it to the dealer (with a good rep) and they said I need to do the following:

*Relocate the drag link.

Does anyone know anything about this? Where the hell do I relocate it? And how easy/difficult is it to do this?

*Upgrade steering stablizer to compensate the weight of the winch

Anyone know of a good one to upgrade to for the setup I have?
TIA!

Last edited by Sparty; 07-19-2005 at 09:07 AM..
Sparty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
HokieTJ

Has it been aligned since the lift? If not, you need to get that done. Chances are that's what's causing the wobble. IMO, with 2" of lift you shouldn't need to touch the drag link.

You can get an adjustable track bar, but with 2" of lift I doubt you need it. Get it aligned and see what that does for you.

I had the same problem after I put on my lift. It was a combination of bad alignment and track bar bolts that were not tight enough.
LoD bumper/tire carrier
HokieTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2005, 09:13 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieTJ
Has it been aligned since the lift? If not, you need to get that done. Chances are that's what's causing the wobble. IMO, with 2" of lift you shouldn't need to touch the drag link.

You can get an adjustable track bar, but with 2" of lift I doubt you need it. Get it aligned and see what that does for you.

I had the same problem after I put on my lift. It was a combination of bad alignment and track bar bolts that were not tight enough.
Ditto all the above, especially on the trackbar mounting bolts. But also make sure you get the tires rotated and balanced PERFECTLY. Once a Jeep is lifted, it becomes far less tolerant of an out of balance tire which can trigger DW.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The additional weight can make the jeep more sensitive to a slight out of balance on the front wheels.

A steering stablizer doesn't cure problems, but sometimes do a good job of masking problems. Get the problem fixed.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2005, 09:21 AM   #5
Sparty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

thanks boys....appreciate it.

I'll get on that ASAP, and report back!
Unread 10-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
crash3400
1996 XJ Cherokee 

what they said. plus it doesn't hurt to replace the stock bushings (on everything possible) if you can. the stock rubber bushings, maybe not so much on an 04, begin to go bad and allow a lot of play.
crash3400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.