Solid Axle Hd 44 Rear Axle Assembly - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Solid Axle Hd 44 Rear Axle Assembly

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 08-03-2007, 11:00 PM   #76
mrbates
RESIDENT METAL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2
While I'm still waiting for my Lift, I figured I would show everyone why they should NOT try to install this axle in a rig with "stock" suspension...

could you get a factory dana 44 diff cover and install that until you get your lift they are in the 4sale area all the time from cheap to free, and ebay has em for cheap as well, just a sugestion.

keep us updated

i really like that axle man, i want one --or two

2003 X. 3" SA. Locked D44s F/R. 35" MTR-K's
mrbates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2007, 11:03 PM   #77
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BO
could you get a factory dana 44 diff cover and install that until you get your lift they are in the 4sale area all the time from cheap to free, and ebay has em for cheap as well, just a sugestion.

keep us updated

i really like that axle man, i want one --or two
Lift will be here in a couple weeks... already on order and just back ordered from Rubicon Express per DC4WD... While I'm under there, I decided to go ahead and toss in the Teralow 4:1 and 2Low while I'm messing with the SYE/CV anyhow...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #78
mrbates
RESIDENT METAL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

nice , sounds like you are gonna have sweet ride when you get done

2003 X. 3" SA. Locked D44s F/R. 35" MTR-K's
mrbates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2007, 06:56 PM   #79
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Any updates?
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #80
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well... yeah...

I got the Lift Done this past week...

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457012

... everything now clears thie Solid Diff Cover (the Kilby Gas Tank Skid is back on), and while I haven't done and mad flexxing in the back yet (still waiting on rear drive shaft), I believe that I've very close to having something that will be very capable off road and smooth on.

Now connecting the RE Rear Tri-Link Truss to the Solid Axle D44 took a little "custom" work since the shape of the Diff isn't exactly "stock" to connect the truss... I asked the guys at Solid and they didn't really have any suggestions for that Lift and their axle (well they did, but picking a different lift wasn't really my idea of a suggestion ) Luckily there is a huge flat spot on the top of the diff, that will some creative chopping and a couple spacers and some custom fab to the truss bolt holes we were able to make the thing work... to me it seems MUCH MUCH more solid than using the 3 bolts on the top of the diff cover, and I guess I thank SOLID for adding all the extra junk on top of the diff to make that possible.

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L

Last edited by SuperWade2; 09-03-2007 at 08:12 PM..
Unread 08-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #81
PJeeP2006

I am having the exact same mounting issues do you have any other pictures of the tri-link truss install? I am interested if the had to modify the upper control arm mounts or if they needed to grind down the center mounting tab on the axle. Any pictures or info on the install would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
PJeeP2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #82
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancopbs View Post
Wilwood is fine for manual assist master cylinders (can't go over 1,100 lbs of pressure). If you plan on having a vacuum booster or hydroboost don't do it. You will flex those calipers something fierce. Whenever you're building a rig with oversize tires you need a 1 piece caliper (Wilwoods are 2 pieces bolted together).

I've already had quite a few guys spend way more then my kit on wilwoods calipers, rotors, pads etc and ended up throwing it all away to put on one of my kits.

Trust me, wilwood and built up rigs (33+ tires) do not get along.
Destroyed a Rear Wilwood mounting plate (Brake line bracket and pretty nice gouges on the Caliper) on the Drivers side...no idea how... busted into about 5 "chunks"... Solid has said that I'm outside of the 12 month warranty (by a couple months) and I'm SOL and will need to buy new parts... Also had to swap the Pass. caliper after about 60 days of install since it was hanging up (although Solid did cover that under warranty). I emailed Wilwood to see if there was anything they can do.

I have less than 4,000miles on the Jeep most of which on pavement, since the Axle Swap last summer.

Van (and whomever else), "you can say I told you so"... Vanco Big brakes are still on my "wish list" for up front, but kind of wish I hadn't messed with the Wilwood Discs for the back...

Live and Learn...

SW2
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 08-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #83
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running ford explorer rear discs, because I was told about the housings on Wilwood calipers being kind of weak! Good luck!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #84
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
Destroyed a Rear Wilwood mounting plate (Brake line bracket and pretty nice gouges on the Caliper) on the Drivers side...no idea how... busted into about 5 "chunks"... Solid has said that I'm outside of the 12 month warranty (by a couple months) and I'm SOL and will need to buy new parts... Also had to swap the Pass. caliper after about 60 days of install since it was hanging up (although Solid did cover that under warranty). I emailed Wilwood to see if there was anything they can do.
Wilwood may do something, but they used to have a big disclaimer that their calipers were not covered by any warranty do to the offroad aspect of most of the apps. Another reason is the pistons don't have dust covers and are pretty susceptible to getting hung up if they get too dirty.

Quote:
I have less than 4,000miles on the Jeep most of which on pavement, since the Axle Swap last summer.

Van (and whomever else), "you can say I told you so"... Vanco Big brakes are still on my "wish list" for up front, but kind of wish I hadn't messed with the Wilwood Discs for the back...

Live and Learn...

SW2
Sorry for your troubles, but it's good feedback for a lot of folks considering different stuff.

Do you know what rear bearings you're running?
Unread 08-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #85
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Do you know what rear bearings you're running?
Quote:
Originally Posted by big97redtj
The axle uses set 20 bearings (Ford big bearing).
...and to be clear to anyone that may read this thread, my opinion of the rest of the Solid Axle is OUTSTANDING... I have been very happy with the performance when I've been able to take it out and beat on it offroad (not nearly as often as I would like), and it's done everything I've needed or wanted... the Wilwood brakes...not so much!

As one of the previous posts mentioned, getting the Tri-Link Truss mounted took some Custom work, but otherwise it has been a great investment.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L

Last edited by SuperWade2; 08-28-2008 at 04:40 PM..
Unread 08-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #86
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

if you're gonna get 35-spline and 1/2 inch tubing, might as well get a D60! if you're going to drop the coin, you might as well do it to the max!!!
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #87
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...and to be clear to anyone that may read this thread, my opinion of the rest of the Solid Axle is OUTSTANDING... I have been very happy with the performance when I've been able to take it out and beat on it offroad (not nearly as often as I would like), and it's done everything I've needed or wanted... the Wilwood brakes...not so much!

As one of the previous posts mentioned, getting the Tri-Link Truss mounted took some Custom work, but otherwise it has been a great investment.
If it uses Set 20 bearings in the Big Bearing Torino housing ends, a set of Explorer rear loaded backing plates and disc brakes will bolt right up. You may need the spacer ring between the top of the axle seal and 4 bolt bearing retainer if the Wilwood plates are thinner than the Cast Explorer versions.
Unread 08-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #88
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Live and Learn...

SW2
interested in whatever is left of the Wilwoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
if you're gonna get 35-spline and 1/2 inch tubing, might as well get a D60! if you're going to drop the coin, you might as well do it to the max!!!
not a good plan for 35-37's
Unread 08-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #89
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
interested in whatever is left of the Wilwoods.
Well, I didn't say I'm ready to completely "give up" on the Wilwoods... If I can find someone that actually wants to sell me some replacement parts (Since Solid Axle apparently isn't interested in any more of my $$$), it might just be cheaper to get some replacements and get by with these for a while... I think the caliper, which now not "real pretty" I think will be fully functional, I might just need the new plate, brake line bracket, but not 100% sure.

I guess it depends on how much $$$ I am talking for just fixing this, or worrying about a swap to something different. I'd rather get this "operational" and then spend my $$$ on the front brakes.

SW2
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 08-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #90
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, I didn't say I'm ready to completely "give up" on the Wilwoods... If I can find someone that actually wants to sell me some replacement parts (Since Solid Axle apparently isn't interested in any more of my $$$), it might just be cheaper to get some replacements and get by with these for a while... I think the caliper, which now not "real pretty" I think will be fully functional, I might just need the new plate, brake line bracket, but not 100% sure.

I guess it depends on how much $$$ I am talking for just fixing this, or worrying about a swap to something different. I'd rather get this "operational" and then spend my $$$ on the front brakes.

SW2
A bit of this will be slightly tongue-in-cheek, but it's worthy of note.

According to the 8.8 crowd, an 8.8 is able to be had all day long with rear discs for 150-200 bucks. Buy one and sell the housing, keep the brakes.

I'd start there.

Currie has complete sets for a decent price considering they are all new parts from Ford.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.