Solid Axle Hd 44 Rear Axle Assembly - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Solid Axle Hd 44 Rear Axle Assembly

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #61
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe this should have been abundantly obvious to someone who knows a little more than I do about these things, but for what's it's worth to anyone considering this axle... You better make sure your Heep is already lifted, or at least have Rear Adj Upper Control Arms...and I had to get newer style e-brake cables as well...

And I also have to go dig up a stock Gas Tank Skid Plate at a salvage yard because the Diff Cover is mashing my Kilby Gas Tank Skid (and I tossed my old stock one) until I get my lift and get it installed...

So not exactly "bolt-in" on a older TJ (1999) with mostly stock suspension parts...and Solid didn't really disclose this well...I wish I had known (or asked) and I would have had all the parts already lined up... as it is, I'm going on about a week (with the holiday and weekend in the middle) before I can expect to have my "Bolt-In" axle done...

AWESOME product (once I get a chance to actually drive on it), and I would recommend the product to anyone based on what it looks like....

SW2

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #62
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2
Maybe this should have been abundantly obvious to someone who knows a little more than I do about these things, but for what's it's worth to anyone considering this axle... You better make sure your Heep is already lifted, or at least have Rear Adj Upper Control Arms...and I had to get newer style e-brake cables as well...

And I also have to go dig up a stock Gas Tank Skid Plate at a salvage yard because the Diff Cover is mashing my Kilby Gas Tank Skid (and I tossed my old stock one) until I get my lift and get it installed...

So not exactly "bolt-in" on a older TJ (1999) with mostly stock suspension parts...and Solid didn't really disclose this well...I wish I had known (or asked) and I would have had all the parts already lined up... as it is, I'm going on about a week (with the holiday and weekend in the middle) before I can expect to have my "Bolt-In" axle done...

AWESOME product (once I get a chance to actually drive on it), and I would recommend the product to anyone based on what it looks like....

SW2
Sorry about your tribulations, but examine it from the other perspective or from their point of view. Very few folks who order one of these will slap it under a stock rig. Had they built it stock, the first guy who buys one with a 4" lifted rig will be on here wanting to know why they didn't put a heavier diff cover on, why he spent all the money and still has to relocate the trackbar bracket, and why it came with drum brakes when discs are so easy to do. Not to mention why go to all the effort and wind up with tilted spring perches.

I agree they should have better disclosure though. I suspect they are just trying to anticipate the needs of the majority of their customers and you landed right on the edge between stock and modified.
Unread 07-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #63
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Sorry about your tribulations, but examine it from the other perspective or from their point of view. Very few folks who order one of these will slap it under a stock rig. Had they built it stock, the first guy who buys one with a 4" lifted rig will be on here wanting to know why they didn't put a heavier diff cover on, why he spent all the money and still has to relocate the trackbar bracket, and why it came with drum brakes when discs are so easy to do. Not to mention why go to all the effort and wind up with tilted spring perches.

I agree they should have better disclosure though. I suspect they are just trying to anticipate the needs of the majority of their customers and you landed right on the edge between stock and modified.
I don't disagree at all, and didn't want to sound "bashing" of Solid Axle... I take as much (or more) blame myself for not asking the right questions... and your right... I'm probably more exception than I am the rule, and wanted to get my Axles and Gears/Lockers squared away before I went bigger, so I'm for sure probably abnormal (in more ways than one...)

I'm frustrated (anxious/excited, etc.), and the extra Holidays and stuff probably added a least a couple extra days for me getting any parts and stuff...

Wade
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 07-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #64
Spartan302

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepteejay
That price?
Find me a complete bolt in (or even anything remotely close to bolt in) like what you mention for $3G's.
Pricing regular D44's with an ARB and brakes usually hits near 3 everytime I look.
http://www.fullcircle4x4.com/axles.html
Spartan302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #65
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan302
That one is 2865.00. I think that's pretty close to 3 grand, isn't it?
Unread 07-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #66
Flatbroke
Web Wheeler

Quote:

If I read correct that also includes the stock diff cover so the price would go up a bit from there if you added a diff cover later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRussoX
Haha

I actually look at a Jeepers nuts to see how informed they are. Ditch your nuts man!

Russo
Flatbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #67
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well to be "fair" the D60 advertised on the http://www.fullcircle4x4.com/axles.html site would be about $3380 with a similiarly equipped ARB Locker that we had been talking about with the Northridge or Solid Axle...

I'm not saying that a $400 preimium for D60 vs D44 isn't worth the money, for me the Solid HD D44 for $3K was the best value for "MY" $$$

...and to be fair to David at Northridge, his shipping is $100 for his nice D44 Axle, I paid just under $400 to get my Solid Axle here and I couldn't find shipping quotes on the FullCircle Site...

SW2
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 07-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #68
bradleyfitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2

Doesn't the Kilby skid raise the tank 1"? I.e. going back to the stock skid would be even worse, no?
98 Sahara, hp44/hp60, warn 5x5.5 premium hub conversion, 4.88, arb's, hydro assist, RE 4.5 SF /w 3.5 springs, Novak / Teraflex SS SYE, currie anti-rock, JKS 1.25" BL, 36" bias iroks, PSC Tube fenders /w 3" flare, PSC Ricochet Rockers, custom rear bumper, btf front bumper / winch plate, warn 9.5ti, full cage, TwistedStitch seats, RCI-2161a fuel cell
bradleyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #69
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyfitz
Doesn't the Kilby skid raise the tank 1"? I.e. going back to the stock skid would be even worse, no?
The Solid Diff Cover is apparently pressed up against the back edge of the Gas Tank Skid itself and is basically preventing the suspension to drop all the way down under its own weight...So I think the Stock Skid, although will drop the Tank back down an Inch or so, but give us enough clearance between the tank and the Diff Cover.

At least I hope this is the last of my problems with this Axle Install...

While not having my Kilby Skid on for a while is going to suck, I guess it's just incentive for me to go ahead and do the lift and complete the setup.

SW2
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 07-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #70
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure how much room you need to gain, or which direction you need to go to correct your pinion angle but those upper adjustable CA's may get that cover out of the gas tank skid.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2007, 06:13 PM   #71
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer
Not sure how much room you need to gain, or which direction you need to go to correct your pinion angle but those upper adjustable CA's may get that cover out of the gas tank skid.
Makes two of us...This is all been down at my local shop and I haven't been down to see the issue first hand yet... planning on going over tomorrow...

SW2
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 07-23-2007, 08:47 PM   #72
mrbates
RESIDENT METAL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

bump

i'm interested about what the status of this axle is now?

2003 X. 3" SA. Locked D44s F/R. 35" MTR-K's
mrbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2007, 10:58 AM   #73
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BO
bump

i'm interested about what the status of this axle is now?
Well... It's installed and I'm driving on it... the Solid diff Cover is MASHED up against the Gas Tank Skid... I had to have the stock one put back on because the Kilby I had didn't alloy any "give", which is good for rocks, bad for needing a bit of space for the Diff Cover.

It's drivable, just bumpy right now as I don't think the rear suspension is moving freely because the axle is basically sitting on the gas tank skid.

I wouldn't and don't feel comfortable taking it offroad right now as is and won't until I get it lifted (which sucks since I now have 4.56's and ARB's front and rear)

I have a RE 4.5" Tri-Link Long Arm Kit / SYE/CV on order from DCW4D, so I'm hoping to get the thing in the air a little bit and everything will be back to 'normal' and I can put the Kilby skid back on, and take it back out on the trails.

Lesson learned... don't put a kick butt axle on rig with "stock" suspension...

SW2
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 07-24-2007, 03:13 PM   #74
mrbates
RESIDENT METAL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

too bad about not having the lift on yet, but you are headed well in the right direction for a sweet trail rig and dd both

keep us updated

2003 X. 3" SA. Locked D44s F/R. 35" MTR-K's
mrbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #75
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

While I'm still waiting for my Lift, I figured I would show everyone why they should NOT try to install this axle in a rig with "stock" suspension...

skid.jpg  
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.