Solid Axle Hd 44 Rear Axle Assembly - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Solid Axle Hd 44 Rear Axle Assembly

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-11-2007, 06:47 AM   #31
Unscathed
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have been looking into upgrading my axles for some time... every build price I come up with is between 3200-3500 bucks that is ready to bold on. so is this a deal... most def!

The owner of Alljeep.com, Wayne Hartwig will work within your budget!!! He is very informative to anyone not knowing much about axle work and will meet or beat any competitor's advertised price on any specific product delivered to your door - even if he sells at cost!
Unscathed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2007, 07:18 AM   #32
rob5059MOD

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepteejay
This seems great to me.
Anyone know anything about these Wilwood brakes? Any good? Replacing worn parts going to be difficult?
Currie sells the Wilwood brakes, I have no idea if they are any good.

SOLD 06 Wrangler Unlimited Khaki, Congo Cage, D30 w/Aussie & D44 w/ Limited slip and 3.73 gears, 231HD transfer case with 2LOW and JB Conversions SYE with a Tom Woods DS. LIFT: Full Traction 4" Ultimate lift and JKS BL, Brown Dog MML. SKIDS: Jeep Medic TT and Oil Pan, Warn Gas Tank, and Rusty's Steering Box & Radiator. STEERING: ZJ steering, and PCS Steering Box. Running on 35" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains. And to ruin the look, I added Warn 6" flares to keep it legal.
rob5059MOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #33
Vancopbs

Quote:
This seems great to me.
Anyone know anything about these Wilwood brakes? Any good? Replacing worn parts going to be difficult?
Wilwood is fine for manual assist master cylinders (can't go over 1,100 lbs of pressure). If you plan on having a vacuum booster or hydroboost don't do it. You will flex those calipers something fierce. Whenever you're building a rig with oversize tires you need a 1 piece caliper (Wilwoods are 2 pieces bolted together).

I've already had quite a few guys spend way more then my kit on wilwoods calipers, rotors, pads etc and ended up throwing it all away to put on one of my kits.

Trust me, wilwood and built up rigs (33+ tires) do not get along.
South Gate, Ca 90280
800-256-6295
323-563-1588
Vancopbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #34
jeepteejay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna look through your products
jeepteejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #35
jeepteejay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No, there'll be no boosters of any sort going to my brakes any time soon.
I like your kit for the front. Might have to get one...but need a rear axle first.
Unread 06-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #36
ytodd

Quote:
No, there'll be no boosters of any sort going to my brakes any time soon.
So you are removing the stock vacuum booster? I believe it generates about (or slightly more than) 1600 lbs of pressure. That is stock, no hydroboost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancopbs
Wilwood is fine for manual assist master cylinders (can't go over 1,100 lbs of pressure). If you plan on having a vacuum booster or hydroboost don't do it.
ytodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #37
jeepteejay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oh. My bad.
I know jack about brakes really. I've never done ANY brakes.
In that case, these Wilwood things are crap??
Why bother put them on such an axle then?
If Wilwood's can't take stock pressures, why didn't/don't Solid Axle just put stockers on? Gotta be cheaper...no?
Unread 06-11-2007, 02:03 PM   #38
TJeeper

Quote:
If Wilwood's can't take stock pressures, why didn't/don't Solid Axle just put stockers on? Gotta be cheaper...no?
I've been wondering the same thing (see second post). I would guess the 35 spline shaft is too large for the standard backing plate, which wouldn't allow the ZJ/TJ brakes to bolt up without major modifications.
Unread 06-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #39
LoTGoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancopbs
Wilwood is fine for manual assist master cylinders (can't go over 1,100 lbs of pressure). If you plan on having a vacuum booster or hydroboost don't do it. You will flex those calipers something fierce. Whenever you're building a rig with oversize tires you need a 1 piece caliper (Wilwoods are 2 pieces bolted together).

I've already had quite a few guys spend way more then my kit on wilwoods calipers, rotors, pads etc and ended up throwing it all away to put on one of my kits.

Trust me, wilwood and built up rigs (33+ tires) do not get along.

Call up Solid Axle and give them a better deal than Wilwood is on the rear brakes...
LoTGoD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2007, 06:06 AM   #40
jeepteejay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

so???

10char
Unread 06-13-2007, 06:47 AM   #41
jsmorris
Director of Philosophy

Wilwoods are fantastic brakes and normally found in cars and on the race circuit. I've run Wilwoods for years. I'm not sure that they are "right" for off roading because of the issues listed here, but my Mustang has a heck of a lot of braking power to scrub off 160mph in a few hundred feet. Can't say what the boost press is, though.

Along those lines, don't forget that this brake kit is probably $500-$800. If you can get them to install a factory brake kit on the rear, or better yet, confirm that your factory brakes will work on this axle, then ask for a quote with no brakes. Then you're looking at closer to a $2500 axle and bolting-on your stock brakes is easy.....even you could do it. Sorry, had to jab ya a little.

'89 Grand Wagoneer
jsmorris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2007, 08:19 AM   #42
jeepteejay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmorris
Wilwoods are fantastic brakes and normally found in cars and on the race circuit. I've run Wilwoods for years. I'm not sure that they are "right" for off roading because of the issues listed here, but my Mustang has a heck of a lot of braking power to scrub off 160mph in a few hundred feet. Can't say what the boost press is, though.

Along those lines, don't forget that this brake kit is probably $500-$800. If you can get them to install a factory brake kit on the rear, or better yet, confirm that your factory brakes will work on this axle, then ask for a quote with no brakes. Then you're looking at closer to a $2500 axle and bolting-on your stock brakes is easy.....even you could do it. Sorry, had to jab ya a little.

Yeah, this is what I'm wondering as I'm pretty sold on the axle other than the concerns of these brakes. I think I'd even RATHER have stock brakes, as it's a rear axle and then upgrade my fronts down the road a little.
Anyone know if they do this?? Or if the stock brakes will fit??
Unread 06-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #43
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, this is what I'm wondering as I'm pretty sold on the axle other than the concerns of these brakes. I think I'd even RATHER have stock brakes, as it's a rear axle and then upgrade my fronts down the road a little.
Which brakes fit is determined by the housing end they used when they built the axle.

If they used the Dana 44 housing end, then stock TJ rear discs and drums will bolt up. The only concern then becomes the spacing of the bearing journal on the axle shaft.
Unread 06-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #44
jsmorris
Director of Philosophy

Quote:
Call them and ask for the details. I'm sure they'd offer the kit without the brakes. If nothing else, you could always put a stock brake setup from something that will fit the axle....once again, they would know.

'89 Grand Wagoneer
jsmorris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #45
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't bother wasting $$$ or much thought energy over which rear brakes to install that rear axle. Rear brakes provide such a low percentage of the overall braking, 10-20% at most, that it just doesn't pay to spend big $$$ or waste a lot of time worrying about rear brakes. In the rear, heck, even old technology drum brakes still work very well.

Now if this were for the front axle, yeah upgrading the brakes is very much worth extra $$$ and time to upgrade them.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.