JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Solid Axle Hd 44 Rear Axle Assembly (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/solid-axle-hd-44-rear-axle-assembly-422613/)

SuperWade2 06-04-2007 03:28 PM

Solid Axle Hd 44 Rear Axle Assembly
 
http://www.solidaxle.com/releases/04_jun_07.htm

http://www.solidaxle.com/releases/44-AXLE1.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:
· SOLID AXLE INDUSTRIES’ H.D. 44 LOW PINION HOUSING
· SOLID AXLE INDUSTRIES’ H.D. 44 DIFFERENTIAL COVER (Powder Coated, Lifetime Warranty)
· ARB RD-109 AIR LOCKER (35 Spline)
· 35 SPLINE ALLOY AXLE SHAFTS vs. 27 SPLINE
· PRECISION GEAR RING & PINION (4.10, 4.56, 4.88)
· WILWOOD ENGINEERING BRAKE KIT (12” Vented Rotor, 4 Piston Caliper w/ E-brake)
· 3.125 O.D. X .50 WALL DOM AXLE TUBE
· 3/16 FIXTURE WELDED BRACKETS
· 1310 U-BOLT YOKE
· DUAL BOLT PATTERN (5.4.5 or 5.5.5)
· GOODRIDGE S.S. BRAKE LINES
· 61” OVERALL WIDTH (STOCK TJ)
· 3 QUARTS DIFF FLUID
· AVAILABLE NOW!!


*** $2,999.00 + Shipping & Handling ***

I was thinking about having Dave and Northridge4x4 build me one, then I saw this recent announcement...

Any thoughts? :thumbsup: or :thumbdown:

SW2

TJeeper 06-04-2007 04:04 PM

I think it is going to drive down the prices in the industry. Looks like a lot for the price.

I would be concerned with the brakes. They are an unknown at this point. It is confusing why they went with Wilwood stuff when the stock rear disks and e-brake works so well. When my brakes were stock- with rear ZJ disks- I was on the verge of locking them up under hard braking. Not sure how a 4 piston caliper will work, seems like they could lock up too early.

McLovin 06-04-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJeeper
I think it is going to drive down the prices in the industry. Looks like a lot for the price.

I would be concerned with the brakes. They are an unknown at this point. It is confusing why they went with Wilwood stuff when the stock rear disks and e-brake works so well. When my brakes were stock- with rear ZJ disks- I was on the verge of locking them up under hard braking. Not sure how a 4 piston caliper will work, seems like they could lock up too early.

I'm sure they are doing it because everyone on the internet complains about TJ brakes. That and the Vanco system seems to be so popular.

That is an amazing price for what your getting. If I had that kind of $$$ I'd snap it up in a heat beat.:thumbsup:

pendleton 06-04-2007 04:40 PM

:eek:
WOW! Are you serious? A good deal? Maybe I've been out of the loop. 3 grand for one axle? I know it has alot of differences between, let's say, a stock Rubicon Axle, but I'm not sure the cost justifies that difference. The major difference that initially pops out is the Alloy shafts, 31 spline, which I believe the Rubi has 30 count splines, not 27, if I'm not mistaken. It has a brake upgrade, which is up in the air if necessary at all, as stated earlier. The control brackets are thicker, :rolleyes: , and the axle tubes are thicker. I know that strength is important for extreme off road, but if you going big enough to start breaking a Dana 44, then go with a Dana 60, or maybe a custom GM 14 bolt. I'm sure you could do alot better than a Dana 44 with $3 grand. Maybe someone else should chime in and correct my thinking.;)

Jerry Bransford 06-04-2007 04:43 PM

Good deal but why do you feel the need for a 35 spline axleshaft that is horrendus overkill for 99.99% of us. Even a 33 spline is VERY heavy duty. Heck I only run a 30 spline Alloy USA shaft in my Dana 44 with a Detroit Locker on some of the toughest rock crawling trails around and in the 7 years I've had it I've had no axle problems at all. What size tires do you plan to run? 40"? I'm running 35" MT/Rs with my 30 spline Alloy USA axleshafts.

SuperWade2 06-04-2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pendleton
:eek:
WOW! Are you serious? A good deal? Maybe I've been out of the loop. 3 grand for one axle? I know it has alot of differences between, let's say, a stock Rubicon Axle, but I'm not sure the cost justifies that difference. The major difference that initially pops out is the Alloy shafts, 31 spline, which I believe the Rubi has 30 count splines, not 27, if I'm not mistaken. It has a brake upgrade, which is up in the air if necessary at all, as stated earlier. The control brackets are thicker, :rolleyes: , and the axle tubes are thicker. I know that strength is important for extreme off road, but if you going big enough to start breaking a Dana 44, then go with a Dana 60, or maybe a custom GM 14 bolt. I'm sure you could do alot better than a Dana 44 with $3 grand. Maybe someone else should chime in and correct my thinking.;)

I'm sure you can get a better deal out there if you want to do the Junkyard route and build the thing up yourself, but, at least in my application, I'm looking for a NEW Axle that is 100% bolt it with very little other work involved. To me that is worth a few hundred extra $$$'s...

Northridge4x4 can build me one for closer to $2500 without the Brakes (He sells an option for TeraFlex Disc)...

I'm expecting to go between $2500-$3000 for a new axle, so for ME, this does sound like a decent deal for the application that I'm looking for.

Hoping to get other thoughts as well!

SW2

SuperWade2 06-04-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Good deal but why do you feel the need for a 35 spline axleshaft that is horrendus overkill for 99.99% of us. Even a 33 spline is VERY heavy duty. Heck I only run a 30 spline Alloy USA shaft in my Dana 44 with a Detroit Locker on some of the toughest rock crawling trails around and in the 7 years I've had it I've had no axle problems at all.

If I'm spending $3000, what another couple hundred to get the 35 Spline? Piece of mind, at least for me...

I'm sure I'd never break the 30 either, and I'll maybe never do the type of trails you are, but like I said, it's only a couple hundred more... and you can't take the $ with you when you die.

SW2

McLovin 06-04-2007 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pendleton
:eek:
WOW! Are you serious? A good deal? Maybe I've been out of the loop. 3 grand for one axle? I know it has alot of differences between, let's say, a stock Rubicon Axle, but I'm not sure the cost justifies that difference. The major difference that initially pops out is the Alloy shafts, 31 spline, which I believe the Rubi has 30 count splines, not 27, if I'm not mistaken. It has a brake upgrade, which is up in the air if necessary at all, as stated earlier. The control brackets are thicker, :rolleyes: , and the axle tubes are thicker. I know that strength is important for extreme off road, but if you going big enough to start breaking a Dana 44, then go with a Dana 60, or maybe a custom GM 14 bolt. I'm sure you could do alot better than a Dana 44 with $3 grand. Maybe someone else should chime in and correct my thinking.;)

If you do more of the labor then yeah stuff gets cheaper. But the price they are offering for a complete custom axle is about what you'd pay northridge4x4 to make you a rubicon dana 44. I'm not impressed at all with stock TJ Dana 44's. There tubes are just as thin and prone to bending as a dana 35. Which is a huge issue where I wheel.

I'm sure you could call them and have them build you one of there 44 axles with 30 spline alloy shafts and a 30 spline carrier for a few hundred less.

tcox 06-04-2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperWade2
3.125 O.D. X .50 WALL DOM AXLE TUBE


HALF INCH? thats effing insane!!!!!!!!!!! iv never heard of anything like that

Jerry Bransford 06-04-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcox
HALF INCH? thats effing insane!!!!!!!!!!! iv never heard of anything like that

Yeah, I'm thinking that axle is going to be a real overweight choice. Strength comes at the price of extra weight and there's a lot to be said for keeping the weight down unless it's absolutely necessary.

Realistically SuperWade, what size tires are in your plans, what are you doing with your front axle, and I would at least reconsider something a little lighter since I don't believe you'll be in competition with your rig. 33 spline axles are WAY more than most of us would need with even 38" tires and unless you're also upgrading your front Dana 30 axle to an entirely different axle, it will not be good for anything larger than 35" tires... no matter how you build it.

McLovin 06-04-2007 05:31 PM

Maybe heavy, but it's unsprung wieght.....

The whole point, as far as I can tell, of the OP is that northridge4x4 could build him a TJ Dana 44 rear without disc brakes for around $2500. So why not go the extra $400 and get an axle that he will probably never outgrow?

There are people here and in the real world running 36" and 37" tires on a dana 30's. If you buy the hub kit alloy axles and one of the new super U-joints you'll break the hubs before anything else. At least thats what Blaine and others have reported.

Northridge4x4 06-04-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

The whole point, as far as I can tell, of the OP is that northridge4x4 could build him a TJ Dana 44 rear without disc brakes for around $2500. So why not go the extra $400 and get an axle that he will probably never outgrow
?


Keep in mind that shipping will be approx $350-$500 for this axle our 44's are $100 shipping.

Not saying it is not a good deal just wanted you to know.

David

SuperWade2 06-04-2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn_c
Maybe heavy, but it's unsprung wieght.....

The whole point, as far as I can tell, of the OP is that northridge4x4 could build him a TJ Dana 44 rear without disc brakes for around $2500. So why not go the extra $400 and get an axle that he will probably never outgrow?

:agree: That is EXACTLY the point I was asking about... :agree:

I've added hundreds of Lbs of Armor, what's a little more for a BEEFY Axle that, like Shawn_C said, I will probably NEVER outgrow...

As far as my Front, I'm planning on a Super30 Kit with ARB for now and think about a Front Axle Swap down the road when I out grow and decide to go bigger than 35's...

33's Today, 35's after I get done with the Axle Swap/Regear/Lockers/Lift and then "bigger" after that.

... at what point has "NEED" ever come into play when it comes to Jeep upgrades

SW2

SuperWade2 06-05-2007 09:53 AM

:bump: Any other *NEW* thoughts?

SW2

Jerry Bransford 06-05-2007 10:05 AM

You've heard my thoughts about an axle that heavy for your anticipated tire size and wheeling needs, I won't repeat them other than to say I'd go nothing bigger than 33 spline and lose the 1/2" thick axle tubes. :)


The time now is 08:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.