Solid Axle Diff Cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Solid Axle Diff Cover

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
mud n rox
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Solid Axle Diff Cover

I'm installing a Solid Axle Diff Cover today. It has the raised fill plug on it. My question is how much fluid do I put in?? Do I go with the factory specs or does it take more? 4x4xplorer says 2 qts but thats with a Rockcrusher Cover. I'm not sure if they are the same or not. Oh yea its on a D30. I searched but couldnt find a definite answer.

Caution: Rock and a hard place just ahead.

[/FONT][/I][/B]
mud n rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Since your rear axle has been tilted back to raise its pinion angle to match the CV driveshaft's pinion angle requirements, fill it to the raised fill hole. Tilting it means the OE fill hole is lowered so it's hard to get enough gear lube into the housing. The raised hole of your new cover allows enough gear lube to be added without spilling out during the fill process.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

For the D30, it's 2.5 pints (1.25 quarts) according to the FSM, not 2 quarts. The fill plug is higher on the Rockcrusher / Solid covers, you don't want to overfill as the lube will be pumped out the breather tube = big mess.

FRONT AXLE .03 L (1 oz.)

181 FBI (Model 30) 1.2 L (2.5 pts.)

Last edited by robncar; 11-04-2007 at 11:57 AM..
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Since your rear axle has been tilted to match the CV driveshaft's pinion angle requirements, fill it to the raised fill hole. Tilting it means the OE fill hole is lowered so it's hard to get enough gear lube into the housing. The raised hole of your new cover allows enough gear lube to be added without spilling out during the fill process.
Jerry, isn't the OP talking about the D30?
Unread 11-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar
Jerry, isn't the OP talking about the D30?
Oops yep he is, thanks.

The front axle should be filled per the axle specs which is pretty close to 1.8 quarts. Overfilling it to the top of the new cover's elevated fill hole is just likely to cause gear lube to leak past the seals.

Unread 11-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
mud n rox
2001 TJ Wrangler 

[/FONT][/I][/B]
Unread 11-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
mud n rox
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I noticed something. The Solid cover is deeper than the stock cover. It comes out farther from the axle than the stock cover. Would this make any difference in the amount of fluid in the diff?? I only ask this because I put in the 1.25 qts and when I drove it I got a weird kind of clicking noise that wasnt there before the cover change.

[/FONT][/I][/B]
Unread 11-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #8
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Perhaps it's interfering with the draglink/tierod, there's not much clearance in that area.

Unread 11-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #9
mud n rox
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I thought of that but there's no marks on the cover or drag link/tie rods.

[/FONT][/I][/B]
Unread 11-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #10
04WranglerX
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud n rox
I noticed something. The Solid cover is deeper than the stock cover. It comes out farther from the axle than the stock cover. Would this make any difference in the amount of fluid in the diff?? I only ask this because I put in the 1.25 qts and when I drove it I got a weird kind of clicking noise that wasnt there before the cover change.
Yeah, I noticed this when doing mine the other day. I filled it till I could feel the oil with my finger. That's what I do at work.
35" Yokohama Geolanders on black rock krawlers
Dana 44 rear, ARB air locker, cromo shafts, Dana 30 front, 4.88's front and rear.
04WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #11
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04WranglerX
Yeah, I noticed this when doing mine the other day. I filled it till I could feel the oil with my finger. That's what I do at work.
Yep, usually a good plan, the ol' finger test. The RockCrusher and Solid covers have there fill plugs higher up though as compared to the stock covers. So, with the finger test, you may overfill.

I think I'd jack up the front end (both front wheels off the ground) and spin the front axle by hand and listen for your clicking sound to try to find out where it's coming from. You could also cycle the steering gear lock to lock. This would be easiest with an assistant. I've seen the Rubi guys speak on an issue with clearance if you tighten the fill plug too far (I use teflon tape on my fill plugs and make them "snug"). Make sure nothings rubbing on the new cover, inside or out.
Unread 11-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #12
nettak
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I use teflon tape on my fill plugs
I was just wondering about doing that. The teflon tape won't cause any problems?
'03 Rubicon, RE 4.5" LA with 1" BL and 1" MML, RE Monotube shocks, 35" Nitto Terra Grapplers, Warrior Products safari rack, ORFab tire carrier w/ HiLift and gas cans, Warn M8000 winch, Warn rear bumper, Fabtech front winch bumper, IPF/Fatboy headlamps with homemade wiring harness, Ruff Stuff heavy duty diff covers, Kilby cargo rack, AtoZ rockers, Bestop trektop nx

Ain't no ghetto bling Jeep!
nettak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #13
mud n rox
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I think I'd jack up the front end (both front wheels off the ground) and spin the front axle by hand and listen for your clicking sound to try to find out where it's coming from. You could also cycle the steering gear lock to lock. This would be easiest with an assistant. I've seen the Rubi guys speak on an issue with clearance if you tighten the fill plug too far (I use teflon tape on my fill plugs and make them "snug"). Make sure nothings rubbing on the new cover, inside or out.
Thats a good idea. Will keep you posted. I guess if that doesnt work I can always put the stock cover back on and see what happens.

The new cover was installed the first of the month but the jp had to sit for a while once the problem was found (not my DD). Yesterday I pulled the new cover to inspect things. I found no foreign objects or metal shavings. No marks on the inside of the cover or the plug. The plug barely goes through and does have teflon tape on it.

[/FONT][/I][/B]

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.