Sold my Jeep now selling my truck back for a jeep! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Sold my Jeep now selling my truck back for a jeep!

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 01-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
jeeps4life
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sold my Jeep now selling my truck back for a jeep!

Well just a little more than a year Ago I had a 1998 Jeep wrangler sport with low miles(around 60,000). Eventually put on a 4inch superlift,33x12.5 inch tires on 15x10 AR-23 rims. Anyways it looked amazing and performed well for what The little wheeling I did. But the ride sucked! did i say sucked? I sucked it up for awhile just because I loved my jeep so much but eventually sold it to het a new tacoma for my dirtbikes and a better ride, Also i was on the highway alot si the truck was better.

Anyways I miss my jeep so much am selling my truck to get a Wrangler. This time i am going to do things better and get what I want. Somewhere around an stock 03 Rubicon. But i still want to lift it but dont want to lose ride quality. So doing some research i come to the conclusion that if i get a 2.5 OME HD with a 1 inch body lift i can fit 32's and not lose ride and handing quality? Is the HD old man emu lift going to be to rough? What do yall recommend? I want to lift it and fit 32'sor 33's but not lose toomuch ride quality somy kidneys dont explode.

Sorry for the thread being so long. But any imput, help, or questions is truly appreciated! thanks, Drew!

Unread 01-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Mayfair_Jeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Go BDS.. cheaper than the OME, and almost the same ride..Plus the\y offer a lifetime unconditional warrenty
Mayfair_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
jeeps4life
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks

I appreciate the response. How close do you mean by almost because i am deathly afraid on my new jeep to ride as rough as my old jeep. Does anyone else run either OME or BDS?
Unread 01-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
alex71
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It is a jeep it will be nothing like your Tacoma was. A jeep shouldn't be bought to ride good it just wont happen. Anytime you lift a vehicle it is going to be different than stock i don't care what anyone says. Four inches of lift on short arms is going to not be as smooth as a 2 or 3 inch lift when we are talking short arms. I would go with a 3 inch lift and run 33's.

Vote for TJOFTY!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...18/index9.html
alex71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
jeeps4life
2004 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i am not expecting it to ride like my tacoma.. like ive said i owned a stock jeep and a lifted one.. thanks for the input... but i know there has to be some quality lifts out there that will give a ride close to stock....just want to know if OME is one of them
Unread 01-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

OME is one of the best riding lifts. A bit expensive and not as much lift as some others, but good quality and good ride.
Unread 01-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
snakester14

Long arm kit? that will get you better ride quality.
OME makes a good quality kit that rides great. If you want something a little cheaper you could get a different kit and just get OME shocks.
snakester14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
jeeps4life
2004 TJ Wrangler 

not to familiar with any long arm kits? i would imagine they are more complex and more expensive am i right? also would just using OME shocks and a different kit have a ride reasonable to a full OME kit?
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
DVR
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i just put a superlift 4in kit on my rubicon unlimited with bilstien shocks. rides great. superlift is in La. I would see if I could go by there and talk to someone there if you are close enough in La. I found them helpful when I called with questions.
DVR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
Owanin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on the OME shocks. They are generally regarded as giving the best ride, and the only downside is the price.
Red Jeep Club Member #409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbluedrummer
4 hi and hammer down!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Fisch View Post
POT??!! Calling passenger POT?? Is there a POT here?? How about KETTLE?? Passenger KETTLE??
Oh well, they're both black.
Owanin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 11:03 PM   #11
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Long arm would be the best, but they're for bigger lifts and are more expensive. They also require a lot of custom fabrication, as your moving the control arms.
Unread 01-28-2008, 04:46 AM   #12
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The shocks are the most important factor in ride quality.What shocks did you have for that "sucky" ride?
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
jeeps4life
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i dont know actually.. what ever came with the 4nch superlift kit i bought...
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #14
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeps4life
i dont know actually.. what ever came with the 4nch superlift kit i bought...
id bet a dollar it was your shocks giving you that "sucky" ride
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #15
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Here's my take on your questions:

1. I have the OME 2.5" springs along with BDS shocks and the ride is clearly better than stock even with the 2.5" of lift on the short arm set-up. OME springs just can't be beat for a DD rig imho. I've run BDS shocks on three different vehicles now and am sold on their performance. Very nice on and off road.

2. One of the above posters is correct, a poor quality shock will kill the entire ride regardless of the rest of the set-up, especially on a lightweight vehicle like the Jeep.

3. One of the other things that will kill the ride is tires. Using an small diameter E rated tire like the stock Rubi tread will definately give a harsher ride regardless of suspension. I'd go with a C or D rated tire. E rated tires are designed for big trucks, not jeeps. Sidewall puncture resistance is the only benefit for a Jeep, so if you aren't hitting the hard rocks on a regular basis go with a more compliant tire and enjoy the ride.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.