Softtop & winter - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Softtop & winter

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 12-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #31
Capeman29
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Soft top in PA, we get like 3 feet of snow, warms up in no time...

TJ heaters blow lava.

In climates where you only have 3 months of top down weather and 9 months of winter, i recomend the full doors, you can scrape the side window glass on full doors, soft door tops you have to wait for it to melt or risk cracking your windows in bad weather.

Unread 12-07-2007, 10:12 PM   #32
hecubus
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARSONEM
So I wonder what the problem is with mine? I can't get the thing to warm up. I'm wondering if the antifreeze needs to be changed. Maybe the mixture to antifreeze to water is too strong. I though I heard somewhere that too much antifreeze and too little water can take things longer to warm up and obviously too little antifreeze and too much water can create problems too. I think it needs to be more of a 50/50 mixture.
a few years back I bought an old accord and the PO had never changed the coolant...it turned to sludge and plugged up the heater core. one run of coolant system cleaner (not flush, cleaner) and my heater problems were gone...best 4 bucks I ever spent.
Unread 12-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #33
-DAN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98SaharaUSMC
Half doors! ... No issues in the winter, and you'll love them once its warm out again
I do love my softtop and half doors here in FL ... I was just concerned about up north. Since the snowbirds sell their full doors and hardtops quite cheap down here sometimes I was considering buying something ... but if there is no problem I save the money!

Thanks guys
Unread 12-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #34
guy.griffin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This is going on my second winter with my soft top and really its not bad at all my jeep warms up in 5 min and gets pretty comfortable. However I would like to get a hard top at some point just due to easier to clean ice off and a little quieter
guy.griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #35
LeatherCharm
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DAN-
Sounds great. Thanks guys!
One last thing ... full doors or half doors?
I live in MA and i have a soft top, with half doors. I just run out and warm up my jeep for at least 5 minutes before getting in and heading out. The only problem with the soft top is that it loses heat quickly vs the hard top, but one isn't "colder" then the other. Normally i just keep the heat on, with the fan on the lowest setting. Keeps me nice and toasty

Where are you moving to up here good ol' taxachusetts? I live in Northampton, myself.
LeatherCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #36
Ronnie4283
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I live in north Texas. True we dont always get a lot of snow here, but it does get cold. In the low 20's today for highs. Any how, I agree about TJ heaters, it's like a blast from the oven or something. My soft top is the original on a 99 and its worn the heck out, but its still a lot better inside than most people think it would be. I have all kinds of issues with my top and the weather, but it's all from the fact that its so raggedy and stretched. not because of it being a soft top.
Unread 12-09-2007, 12:46 PM   #37
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I will have to say I'll never own a hard top on a TJ. There is snow in the ground as we speak here and if I could make it to my jeep I could go without a shirt in there. I can't say that for the CJ's and YJ that I've had. Their heaters just can't hang with the TJ. And something is different about the tops too. They hold the heat in MUCH better than the older models. I wouldn't mess with a Hard top. The only benifit I see to a hard top is being about to take a blade to it to take off the ice.

In Kansas we get a chance to test out what holds up in the snow. This was our first little snow last week.
Todd
Unread 12-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #38
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherCharm
I live in MA and i have a soft top, with half doors. I just run out and warm up my jeep for at least 5 minutes before getting in and heading out. The only problem with the soft top is that it loses heat quickly vs the hard top, but one isn't "colder" then the other. Normally i just keep the heat on, with the fan on the lowest setting. Keeps me nice and toasty

Where are you moving to up here good ol' taxachusetts? I live in Northampton, myself.
... and even then it is too hot.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #39
kenabbott
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I left my windjammer in from the summer. It does a great job of isolating the back and my heater will roast you.
Unread 12-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #40
sulldoggy

fix the heast selector knob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecubus
the selector knob thing has a history of breaking...I haven't had this issue but the forum has several threads about how to fix it cheap
PLease enlighten me! I've bought 2 over the years!
Unread 12-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #41
tj99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just got a softtop only TJ, drivers door upper has a busted zipper. So far in 30 degree weather the Jeep has warmed up just fine.

I did notice with the busted zipper when sitting still wind blows in. The previous owner got tired of fixing it after several breakins and put a million safety pins in to hold it up. Theres a few gaps around the edges, when your moving the Jeep is enough of a brick that no air comes in.

One of these days I'll put a new top on it. Getting all the good out of this one.
Unread 12-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #42
Scott Parr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My soft upper windows have broken zippers too. The PO used Boot Lace to sew it up. It leaks cold air that you just barely notice.

Time for replacement uppers I guess. (The old ones are pretty scratched and it's impossible to see what's in the mirrors besides headlights at night).

It's been cold early here in SE Wisconsin. Single digits and teens. My 2000 TJ heats up fast and I leave it on "2" most of the time. Speed #3 doesn't work so I probably need a new switch. There are times when 4 is way too hot and 2 isn't enough.

Scott
Red Jeep Club Member #432
2000 TJ, Flame Red with Tan Interior/Soft Top
2.5L / 5-Speed / D30 / D35 / 4.10 Gears
OME 2.5" Suspension Lift - BFG AT 31 x 10.5 x 15
IPF H4 Headlights / Alpine Stereo / Infinity Speakers / Tuffy Glove Box
Scott Parr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.