Softtop & winter - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Softtop & winter

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:35 PM   #16
Greydawg
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Jeeps soft tops are fine even in sub-zero weather, both canvas and sailcloth.

My console is a different matter; it's like sitting next to a block of ice. My old TJ didn't even have a console, so I don't know if this is common or just one of my Jeep's quirks.

Unread 12-07-2007, 05:43 AM   #17
mtxr8crjeepchic
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've had both a soft top and a hard top in the winter...and they are both equally the same...true my mustang holds the heat in great..but I really have no complains with the tj. Other than having Defrost & a back wiper on the hard top they stay equally warm and my 06 TJ has a great heater..so I really have no complaints.

Haha...I'm going to have to see what console is like now. *LOL*...I'm assuming it's a block of ice too. :P
[URL="http://www.myspace.com/supedupjeep"]http://www.myspace.com/supedupjeep[/URL]
[URL="http://http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2622946/2"]http://http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2622946/2[/URL]
[URL="http://www.nomadoffroad.com"]http://www.nomadoffroad.com[/URL]
mtxr8crjeepchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 06:35 AM   #18
-DAN-

Sounds great. Thanks guys!
One last thing ... full doors or half doors?
Unread 12-07-2007, 07:08 AM   #19
smcurry83
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've only found one problem with a soft-top in the winter... The windows are extremely brittle when they're ice cold. I bought my jeep in the winter and within the first month I accidentally put a small crack in the rear window. (nothing some clear packaging tape couldn't clear up)
smcurry83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 07:10 AM   #20
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DAN-
im running half and im running the safari top, no back windows, and i keep the heat full blast, even with that, i have to turn it down sometimes
Unread 12-07-2007, 07:34 AM   #21
97MilitaryTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is the Dan code name MC?

Quote:
How 'comfortable' is a softtop during the cold months especially up north? Can you turn up the heat enough to make it warm? I'm wondering if I need to buy a hardtop for my Jeep once I move to MA.
If you find a hard top send me one here in Japan..... It not getting above 30 for the next 4 days and garages here!!! To much snow here for my #$%. Kent
97MilitaryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #22
ieatchickens
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That is a personal opinion but I prefer the half doors. You can just take off the top portion, or the entire door. It's a little more flexible. I wish I had a hard set of half doors though. Having a sliding window vs. a zipper would be nice.

As far as temperature is concerned, nothing to worry about from a half door/soft top standpoint. I live in the coldest state in the U.S. not named Alaska, and have no problems with heat. Seen -32 F and the heat is as good as my Grand Cherokee. (well except for the heated seats)
98' SE, Chili Pepper Red, grizzly wheels, 126AA/103AA to 129AA/105AA coil swap, 3/4" spacer, 31 Yoko Geolander AT, soft top, rear view mirror turned upside down, door straps twisted, rubicon wipers, optional factory rear sway bar, doors & top on.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #1
06' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
99' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
ieatchickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #23
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgboy
My console is a different matter; it's like sitting next to a block of ice. My old TJ didn't even have a console, so I don't know if this is common or just one of my Jeep's quirks.

i ripped my carpet out, so my floors is nice and warm, meaning my console also. the only part that gets is cold is the backseat, again having no windows is the reason
Unread 12-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #24
LARSONEM
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So I wonder what the problem is with mine? I can't get the thing to warm up. I'm wondering if the antifreeze needs to be changed. Maybe the mixture to antifreeze to water is too strong. I though I heard somewhere that too much antifreeze and too little water can take things longer to warm up and obviously too little antifreeze and too much water can create problems too. I think it needs to be more of a 50/50 mixture.
Unread 12-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #25
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARSONEM
So I wonder what the problem is with mine? I can't get the thing to warm up. I'm wondering if the antifreeze needs to be changed. Maybe the mixture to antifreeze to water is too strong. I though I heard somewhere that too much antifreeze and too little water can take things longer to warm up and obviously too little antifreeze and too much water can create problems too. I think it needs to be more of a 50/50 mixture.
thats not your problem - if your thermostat works right its reaching 210 degrees and it doesnt matter if its water, pure antifreeze or any percent mixture of both.......... 210 degrees is 210 degrees
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #26
Pokkets
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I live in New Hampshire, park outside, have a soft top, and half doors. My commute to work is only 7 minutes, within 3 i have to turn down the heat. No problem...
Pokkets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #27
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

So I know living in LA kind of makes it hard for me to talk, but, I moved from Boston this past spring. I've lived in the Northeast all my life. The TJ is so much better than the CJ and YJ's... I owned a YJ and had a soft top. That was bad. Sure it had heat, and the heat was hot. But it only blew at your feet or the front defroster, no blower vents at you. Which sucked. Next, the soft uppers flapped vigerously on the highway, causing me to lose a lot of heat. I started using bungy cords to pull the tops of the uppers in so they wouldn't flap.....

The TJ solved all those issues..... You'll be fine with a soft top...

But....

Will you be more comfortable with a hard top and full doors? Hell yes...

Keep in mind, you'll need to deal with freezing rain too, and using a scraper on soft windows sucks, you need to be careful not to scratch them, and its just more difficult..

A hard top and full doors would turn it into a normal car. It gives it a solid seal, and you can even carpet or insulate the top to make it quieter and lock in the heat more.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #28
h2oskikrazy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My jeep sits outside all of the time and the winters can get cold in Nebraska. Below 0 temperatures are not uncommon. The jeep starts well and gets to operating temperature fairly quickly and begins to blow heat; but, it takes a longer time to heat the interior than in other insulated hard top vehicles. The top allows more heat to escape and is more drafty. After driving 15-20 mins, depending on the temperature, it becomes warm enough that it is necessary to turn the fan and the heat level down; but, by that time I have usually reached my destination.
h2oskikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #29
TJ 4 the Boxers
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARSONEM
Sounds more like a clogged heater core, give it a good flushing.

njjeep.org
militaryjeepers.com
wheelersforthewounded.com
TJ 4 the Boxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #30
98SaharaUSMC
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Half doors! ... No issues in the winter, and you'll love them once its warm out again

Jeeps were born in Toledo, and so was I ;)
98SaharaUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.