JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Softtop & winter (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/softtop-winter-493284/)

-DAN- 12-06-2007 07:16 PM

Softtop & winter

How 'comfortable' is a softtop during the cold months especially up north? Can you turn up the heat enough to make it warm? I'm wondering if I need to buy a hardtop for my Jeep once I move to MA.

BaddAndy 12-06-2007 07:21 PM

My Jeep leaves an unheated garage in 30 degree weather. I have a jacket, gloves and a beanie on. The interior heats up perfectly in 15 minutes. Then I turn down to low fan, temp max, on defrost/floor.

Wrangler11 12-06-2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

How 'comfortable' is a softtop during the cold months especially up north? Can you turn up the heat enough to make it warm? I'm wondering if I need to buy a hardtop for my Jeep once I move to MA.
I'm in Chicago right now it's in the Mid teens. I've been fine with my softop. The heat works great. Most of the time I have the heat on low it works so good. The only complaint I really have about the softtop in the winter is not being able to defrost the back window. Other than that, it is fine.

JeepRocks86 12-06-2007 07:35 PM

heat is awesome. sometimes i wear a t shirt in the jeep when it's like 10 outside.

BaddAndy 12-06-2007 07:50 PM

I wish mine has a rear wiper here in the rain

BLK2000TJ 12-06-2007 08:11 PM

It's a major misconception that soft top jeeps are somehow colder than any other car in the winter. I wish I had a dime for every time someone asked me if I freeze when driving my Jeep in cold weather. Jeep heaters are awesome and as long as your top is in good shape you'll be perfectly comfortable. Mine is garage kept and not my daily driver so I don't have issues with scraping windows etc.. I imagine that would suck.

Fishbulb 12-06-2007 08:15 PM

You will not be cold in a soft top. I would roast in my old TJ even with temps below zero.

bedardtr 12-06-2007 08:29 PM

Not to rob the thread or anything but I have an 06 Unlimited and it seems like the heat on High is, well Jeep's Furnace, but all the levels below that are the same (all low). Do you all find this. I used to have a 98 TJ and I can not remember what it was like.

hecubus 12-06-2007 08:37 PM

this is a common misconception about modern jeeps, yes the old CJ's had horrible heaters and were drafty as hell; TJs and up have no heat or A/C issues even with the soft top. I live 200 yards from my interstate exit and even on the coldest morning I have to turn the heater down by the time I hit the on-ramp

hecubus 12-06-2007 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedardtr
Not to rob the thread or anything but I have an 06 Unlimited and it seems like the heat on High is, well Jeep's Furnace, but all the levels below that are the same (all low). Do you all find this. I used to have a 98 TJ and I can not remember what it was like.

the selector knob thing has a history of breaking...I haven't had this issue but the forum has several threads about how to fix it cheap

TJ 4 the Boxers 12-06-2007 09:15 PM

You'll have no problems, most of the time I'm in a sweat shirt with the window 1/4 open. Then again I'm not the one to ask if it's cold, I like it better than hot and humid.
Mine is a DD that is in the driveway. When it snows or has ice, I just go out a few minutes earlier. I also keep a squeegy (sp), like the one at Gas stations, in the Jeep to wipe the windows, been doing it for 4 years with no scratches.

BaddAndy 12-06-2007 09:17 PM

ditto the squegee, but a rear wiper would be golden

Rocky529 12-06-2007 09:18 PM

I sold my hard top this past summer... first time with the soft top in the winter. I have no problems with it.. the heater works great. In 20 degree weather, I have to turn my heat to the lowest setting and even turn the temperature down because it is so hot in the Jeep.

xtremebikr04 12-06-2007 09:29 PM

After the jeep completely warms up on the cold days, I also have to turn my heat to low speed and even turn the temp dial down. Now that i have the insulation just about all done, it warms up tremendously faster inside the cab then it did last year. This is with a hardtop though. I drove my car yesterday and today to and from work and that took longer to warm up inside than the jeep did.

ptowntj 12-06-2007 09:33 PM

No problems running the soft top in the winter here. Its not nearly as bad as I thought it would be...I'm on my second winter of jeep ownership.

The time now is 09:33 PM.