Softer springs and shocks to go with them - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Softer springs and shocks to go with them

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
GibbyXJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Softer springs and shocks to go with them

Hey guys. I purchased an 04 TJ a couple months ago with a Fabtech 6" long arm kit on 35s. Before you all tell me that Fabtech is garbage and to expect the Wrangler to ride like a wagon, I know. I want to know if there are any springs for a 6" setup that aren't NEARLY as rough as the springs I currently have. I've reduced the tire pressure from 35psi down to 20 and that helped a little bit but god forbid there's a divet in the road, I bounce around as if I'm in a bounce house and it's pretty ridiculous. The two rears are also starting to rust and the paint is falling off. This Jeep was a Wisconsin Jeep before me buying it here in IL.

I've even entertained the idea of dropping to a 4.5" lift and rewelding LCA mounts on but I'm afraid of having the same problem with a different brand.

Then my second question is the shocks on my setup are rusted. Bad. Which ones would be good for occasional offroading but mainly DD duty? Was looking at some Bilstein 5100s but figured I'd look and ask before diving in.

Unread 10-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know about 6" lift springs, but you could research 4" lift springs that ride well, then use 2" spring spacers to get to the 6" total. Of all the shocks I have tried, the smoothest I can find are either Skyjacker Hydros, or Rocky Road lightly-valved shocks. The high gas pressure shocks were just too stiff and brittle for a daily driver, in my opinion.
Unread 10-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Shocks will likely have a larger effect on comfort than the springs....The Bilstein 5100's are usually referred to as a fairly firm ride.

I installed some Rancho RS7000MT's a few weeks back and quite happy with the ride. They replaced some crappy skyjackers that were rough as hell.
Helped the decision that Shocktober was going on so you get 4 for the price of 3 Got them at my4by.com great price & fast shipping.
Shark_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
GibbyXJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The reason I mentioned springs is because I used to have a GTO with BC Racing coil overs and the Jeep seems like it has a stiffer spring than that car ever did and the GTO springs were extremely stiff. I can barely push the front end of the Jeep down with my body weight (~225lb). I know shocks will help a bit but the springs seem unnecessarily stiff.
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

I would replace the shocks. My sj hydros are nice and soft. They are fairly cheap, so id try that first. Call fabtech and see if they will give you the spring rate. Stock is 140in/lbs. Anything over about 180in/lbs is stiff imo. But unless they are 230in/lbs+, the rough ride can be fixed with a softer shock. There is a coil length/spring rate thread in the FAQ with many of the coils listed. I would not reccomend a 4" coil with 2" spacer. Your coil will bow, and with an la setup like yours, if the coil drops from the seat, it will make a mess. With that being said, ome makes a 4" coil that will net around 5". If it was me, I'd drop down to something like a currie/savvy 4" coil, and run a 1" bl. Hope this helps you out
edit: I was feeling nice, so here you go http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fa...ements-638947/
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you don't want to really mess around with it because a 6" lift could turn into more of a mess, I would just get better shocks. Also what tires are you running what brand?
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

This chart is a little easier to read
http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/index.php...g-rates.96969/
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
GibbyXJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I did some searching and everything I read points to a 225lb/in spring rate. That's ridiculous for a damn Jeep. I'll give them a call in the morning to get a definitive answer but if it's 225, I would like to get a 185 or less and which brand would be best?

I've got MT Baja MTZs at 20psi.
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The higher the lift, the stiffer the springs need to be so your jeep doesn't roll itself over as easily. If you want to stay at 6" of lift then you're going to be dealing with stiff springs. In reality though your shocks are giving you the bad ride, not the springs.
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

I'd try the ome 4" coils. If you do research on them, many have gained over 4.5" http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...ation-and-pics

I would honestly change the shocks before I did anything, or drop down to shorter coils. You can still clear 35's with 4-5" lift, and be able to run a softer spring. Try some skyjacker hydro's or some ome shocks
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
ggross

I have the Fabtech 6" long arm kit on 35s, i replaced my shocks with rancho 9000's and it rides great, they are also adjustable, i hear good things about the Bilstein 5100's as well
ggross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
GibbyXJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Alright well I plan on getting new shocks anyway as this is what the Fabtech ones looks like:

I'll have to take a look at those OME springs. I don't mind losing an inch if doing both fixes this wagon ride.
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Seriously change your shocks before you try anything else. Lowering your Jeep will result in more charges like an alignment and changing your pinion angle. Do yourself a favor and change your shocks first.
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Swapping from your coils to OME 4" coils will have a minimal impact on ride quality, if any impact at all.

Change your shocks.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The OME 4" springs are one of the stiffest 4" springs on the market. I changed from them to the Currie 4" springs and am happy to have a softer spring rate now.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.