Soft Windows Removing Scratches - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft Windows Removing Scratches

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
tj99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Soft Windows Removing Scratches

Just bought another Jeep, this one's for me! Got it reasonable partially because the drivers side upper is trashed from a break in. Won't be able to replace the top for a while so I'm trying to make do. Can't hardly see out of any of the windows.

Did a search and found suggestions for Maguires products and a Mother's Polishing Ball. Is that just regular Maguires polish or something special for plastic?

Thanks!

Unread 11-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
McJeepz
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Try using Plexxus before going to any polishing type compounds or wheels etc. I've performed miracles reviving old plastic softop windows and motorcycle visors etc with it.

Comes in a can like furniture polish - try bike shops to find it or maybe google it.

It works wonders
Rob
McJeepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have this stuff. It works really well.

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...0&partID=10582
JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJeepz
Try using Plexxus before going to any polishing type compounds or wheels etc. I've performed miracles reviving old plastic softop windows and motorcycle visors etc with it.

Comes in a can like furniture polish - try bike shops to find it or maybe google it.

It works wonders
Rob
X 2 on that.That is great stuff!
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
three3fitty
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I use the Meguiars plastic X. I got alot of the scratches out, and some of the yellowing i had in my windows. i'm very happy with the results.
Unread 11-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

my $.02

I use Flitz on my jeep windows, jeep headlight lenses, cycle light lenses. The stuff is great when used with a mothers ball and LIGHT pressure.
Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
tj99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up some Maguiars PlastX today and it does help.

Almost got one of the Mother's polishing balls but decided to try by hand first.

Thanks everyone!
Unread 11-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Now that you're up on polishing out scratches, keep them from forming by not rubbing on them when they're dirty (hose the dirt off first) and NEVER using paper towels on them. Paper towels are made from wood pulp which leaves millions of little scratches every time you use them on plastic windows. After a while those scratches turn the window opaque and then it starts turning yellow.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #9
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Okay JB, enlighten us......what should we use to clean the windows? I am guessing newspaper is out too. Also, I know you are not supposed to use windex (ammonia based cleaners) on windows with film tint, but what should we use on OEM tinted soft windows?
Everything I need to fix on the heep: ABS indicator, speed 4 on the blower fan, torn softop over driver's head, both seat release/tilt cables, missing center cap on spare, broken under hood light, wire up the CB, wiring problem with the reverse lights, broken bottle jack, leaky front and rear pinion seals, loose trackbar relocation bracket, torn drivers seat on the side, broken center console lock, lost nuts for door hinges, squeaking centering ball, loose parking brake cable, oil change and rotate the tires.
My build threadhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/free-wife-good-home-pics-included-528892/
dogbluedrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbluedrummer
Okay JB, enlighten us......what should we use to clean the windows? I am guessing newspaper is out too. Also, I know you are not supposed to use windex (ammonia based cleaners) on windows with film tint, but what should we use on OEM tinted soft windows?
Terry cloth or micro fiber towels are your best bet.. never wipe them when dirty/dry.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2007, 07:09 PM   #11
McJeepz
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Use the fake sheepskin mitts and lots of water to get the majority of the dirt off - rinse the mitt thoroughly and often during the process - then plexxus or whatever. You windows will last years longer.
edit: and yes, the microfiber towels are worth their weight in gold.

Rob
McJeepz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.