Soft Window Fog tricks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft Window Fog tricks?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-14-2004, 03:46 PM   #1
joeyt17
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Soft Window Fog tricks?

I was wondering if there are any secrets on how to keep the windows from fogging up on the soft top. Most days its fine, but on a humid or rainy day they just turn completely fog white from moisture and such. The only clean window is the windshield, and the side windows if i wipe them off. any tricks that can help? I am a big fan of being able to see cars out of any of the rear three windows...

joeyt17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2004, 04:16 PM   #2
bcompton

Doesn't the defroster work? Mine will clear all windows in just a few minutes.....
01 Sport, front drum brake & birfield joint conversion, custom '4 Wheel Drive' stickers, neon washer nozzles, chrome type 'r' oil pan bolts, wooden bead seat pads, racing exhaust tip, offroad license plate frame,
lots of misc. stuff (2.5" Skyjacker springs, 1" BL, 1"MML, Custom flat tcase & engine skid, RE arms, Skyjacker shocks, JKS Discos, Superlift Trac bars, Garvin bumpers, Warn 9.5ti, Lockright & trac-lock, 32" BFG KM's, Kilby & warn skids, EOR rocker bars, cowl snorkel)
bcompton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2004, 04:24 PM   #3
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i use that armour all fog wipes or whatever it is, works good
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2004, 04:45 PM   #4
JeepinBlue24

Defrost clears 'em in seconds for me. Make sure the insides of the windows are fairly clean, if not it takes a lot mroe to clear 'em. Wonder if it makes a difference since I have A/C. The compressor runs on deforst mode to remove condensation....never though what what happens with non A/C cars...umm have to look at my buddies jeep tonight.
36 or 38 IROKs

..and keeping the 4banger until she dies!
JeepinBlue24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2004, 06:50 PM   #5
joeyt17
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I do have A/C, but even with defrost on high it still never completely defogs. I'll try those armor all wipes, once i get to the store to pick some up. I heard that toothpaste or shampoo can work as well, but i wasn't sure (scuba diver trick i think). just thought i'd get some feedback from the board
Unread 05-14-2004, 09:23 PM   #6
Timbo
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyt17
I do have A/C, but even with defrost on high it still never completely defogs. I'll try those armor all wipes, once i get to the store to pick some up. I heard that toothpaste or shampoo can work as well, but i wasn't sure (scuba diver trick i think). just thought i'd get some feedback from the board
DON'T use toothpaste! Alot of toothpaste has an abrasive in it (like pumice) and will haze your windows.....a trick used for ski goggles is a light coating of dish detergent.....put a little on a rag and smear a very light coating on the window (make sure window is clean first so you you don't pick up dirt with rag and scrape it across your window). Also there is a special formula called "Cat Crap" (yes that's right) that skiers use in their goggles to keep them from steaming up....I believe you can get it at Campmor (Campmor.com).... it works really good (I use it winter hiking on my glacier goggles) but I thing the soap trick should do you fine. It's cheaper too
Good Luck,
Timbo

Member: Black Jeep Society

Amateur Radio Call KB1MM
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2004, 10:20 PM   #7
Cynic

the problem is dew point is met at the windows.....the solution is defrost for the front window and if your trying to get the back windows then use max a/c to drop the relative humidity in the vehicle so there is not as much moisture in the air to condense on the windows.....equalizing temp. with the windows down will help some too if you dont want to use max a/c but the a/c will work the best.....
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2004, 11:14 PM   #8
joeyt17
2001 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for all teh replies, i'll try the tricks out soon such as use A/c and all to lower humidity. i knew there was a reason campmor sends me magazines in excess...i'll check out "cat crap" from there...but will most likely fall back on the soap technique.
Unread 05-15-2004, 01:03 AM   #9
PrfctAggression
Web Wheeler

If you are into diver's tricks, try spitting on them. It'll at least be better than toothpaste, and I know for a fact it works on dive masks.
[COLOR=yellow]Yellow Jeep Club and Redneck Jeep Club member #666 [/COLOR]
PrfctAggression is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2004, 01:15 AM   #10
cajunwrangler

if you do the cat crap idea you have to use the old stuff... anything still warm will surely just fog'm up more.
cajunwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2004, 09:25 AM   #11
joeyt17
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Now I tried the "Cat Crap"...but it just clumped away and formed litter critters in the back of my tub. Now I need a way to find a way soften it up!
But it all seriousness, next time i get a free minute i will clean my windows thoroughly and use the soap technique
Unread 05-15-2004, 09:56 PM   #12
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyt17
Now I tried the "Cat Crap"...but it just clumped away and formed litter critters in the back of my tub. Now I need a way to find a way soften it up!
But it all seriousness, next time i get a free minute i will clean my windows thoroughly and use the soap technique
Your defroster is working correctly? I had a broken air door in the Cherokee; it made lots of noise when you set it to defrost, but the air wasn't getting to the windshield.
Moon
'07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD-da kid's ride
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.