Soft tops, door surrounds, and safari tops - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft tops, door surrounds, and safari tops

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-23-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
Rigger007
2013 JK Wrangler 

Soft tops, door surrounds, and safari tops

I currently have a hard top, but I would like to get a safari for the summer and possibly a full soft top eventually. I've heard that the bikinis and safaris leave a gap between the full doors and the sport bars where they would attach without door surrounds. Looking at the Bestop Supertop, it doesnt come with door surrounds. Is this an OEM thing only? Is it worth getting the surrounds for use with a bikini or safari to get a real seal between the full doors and the top? I live in Oregon, and though I know partial tops are just that, partial, it would be nice to keep any unexpected rain out of the front of the rig. Thanks.

Rigger007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 02:24 AM   #2
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Actually yes, it's an OEM thing. I'd actually go for the OEM set up before I'd consider the aftermarket. Depending on what you want to do. And a friend of mine is actually selling her soft top because she doesn't own the Jeep anymore.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 05:56 AM   #3
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You would want the door surrounds with a bikini or safari top. The safari will help keep out more rain simply because it covers the rear seat area as well. Without the door surrounds, you would have about a 2 inch gap between the roll cage and the top of the door.
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
Rigger007
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ya the Safari is the way I want to go, I removed the backseat, brackets and seatbelts within a few hours of owning my Jeep, but I like the idea of a little more shade/protection for the front. So OEM it is for the full top. I think I read on here that the OEM frame is better then aftermarket as well. Thanks everyone.
Unread 07-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
jeepin79
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigger007 View Post
I currently have a hard top, but I would like to get a safari for the summer and possibly a full soft top eventually. I've heard that the bikinis and safaris leave a gap between the full doors and the sport bars where they would attach without door surrounds. Looking at the Bestop Supertop, it doesnt come with door surrounds. Is this an OEM thing only? Is it worth getting the surrounds for use with a bikini or safari to get a real seal between the full doors and the top? I live in Oregon, and though I know partial tops are just that, partial, it would be nice to keep any unexpected rain out of the front of the rig. Thanks.
If you keep your eyes open and watch Ebay and Craigs List you can find a deal on a OEM top or just hardware. I sold my OEM top, no hardware, for $125 on Ebay. I have 2 OEM frames sitting in my garage that I would give away if someone came and got it. You can probably piece a used OEM top for a decent price if you take your time and look around. Just my two cents.
jeepin79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
blackattak
2004 LJ Wrangler 

My setup is the duster, windjammer & the safari bikini & was running that without the surrounds but it left a large gap & rain would run off the bikini top down INSIDE the door. Priced out surrounds at the local dealer & he quoted me $290 each, then checked ebay & ended up with jimfranciswholesale who arranged a purchase thru PAYPAL but not thru ebay. Got them (not new, but perfectly fine) a week later for $95 plus $35 shipping = total $130. Makes a BIG improvement, simple to put on & really helps sealing up the **** pit. Also makes it much more difficult to unlock the doors thus breaqking in to the jeep. Very glad I did it.
blackattak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
07MustangGT
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yep I practically gave away my soft top on craigslist! (no frame or anything) I found some locals that were selling a used OEM soft top with all hardware for $125. It was grey, so I didn't buy it. It was a great deal though. Keep your eyes open and stick with oem if possible.

2001 TJ Sport, Patriot Blue, AC, Cruise, 6 cylinder, 5-speed, Herculiner, Rubi wheels/tires, brush guard, DANA 44......GONE but not forgotten

2002 TJ 4cyl, Yellow, 5-speed... Gone but not forgotten
07MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
Rigger007
2013 JK Wrangler 

I pulled the hardtop off for the first time yesterday. My girl friend and I carried it up a narrow staircase to our apartment and stashed it in our office. It's a little awkward but not heavy. I'm going to get door surrounds right away, the gap left at the back of the hard doors is goofy looking. I saw some on ebay, but they are listed as fitting 97-06, which if I remember from posts on here is incorrect. I'm going to check here in a sec, but I thought someone had listed different part numbers for 97-02 and 03-06.
Unread 07-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #9
76flh
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin79 View Post
If you keep your eyes open and watch Ebay and Craigs List you can find a deal on a OEM top or just hardware. I sold my OEM top, no hardware, for $125 on Ebay. I have 2 OEM frames sitting in my garage that I would give away if someone came and got it. You can probably piece a used OEM top for a decent price if you take your time and look around. Just my two cents.
wish i lived closer,i would come and get them. would you ship them to me? i will gladly pay the shipping. i have a 98 tj if they will fit. let me know and zip is 37716. thanks
76flh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #10
Rigger007
2013 JK Wrangler 

After checking the post I had seen was talking about the LJ sunrider tops. Can anyone confirm that the door surround part numbers are the same from 97-06? Ebay listings have 97-02, 97-05, and 97-06, I'm assuming this is because they are not very knowledgeable about what they have. Jeepsrus lists the parts as 97-08, lol.
Unread 07-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #11
PhulesAu
1985 VJ 

97 - 06 are the same. the zippers for windows change at 02.
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #12
Rigger007
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks! That's what I needed to know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.