soft top, trouble removing rear window - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > soft top, trouble removing rear window

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
AGreen
1997 TJ Wrangler 

soft top, trouble removing rear window

First things first, ive searched this for some time and can not find the answer to my problems. I bought a 97 wrangler some time back and yet to find a way to remove the rear window. There are two zippers. Both points seem to start on the left and stop on the right. I can unzip from the left and the right, but neither seem to allow me to completely remove the top. There are no straps to hang the window from the top while rolled up either. Im unsure of the make of the top, but the windows on the top to say Achilles Inc. USA. Maybe im just not seeing something simple, but i give up and am asking for some input. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AGreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Jaybob7

Hmmm.. I have an 04 Rubi and I have to unzip from right to left. As soon as I get the bottom (one zipper on top of the other) I just pull the window straight up. Think of a zip up sweater. When you unzip, you have to unhook the sweater to be able to open it. Maybe you need to lubricate your soft top zipper. The zippers can get quite dirty and it's kind of hard to unzip sometimes.

Hope this helps ya'. If not, well I tried.

[LEFT][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f123/"]Colorado Jeep Club Meber #205[/URL][/LEFT]
Jaybob7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
mgaither0
1998 TJ Wrangler 

mine doesnt like to unzip at times either and i thought it was stuck at first and wouldnt come off. If i take the zippers to the right side the window doesnt seem to want to come out at all and seems stuck but if I unzip both zippers to the left and pull the window up it pops rite out. try unzipping to the left and hold the zippers in your left hand as u pull up with the right. it should pop rite off
mgaither0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
Jaybob7

Oh yeah, my Rubi came with staps for when I roll the window up. I don't roll mine up for fear of damage to the window so I just take it out completely.

[LEFT][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f123/"]Colorado Jeep Club Meber #205[/URL][/LEFT]
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
AGreen
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've tried to go from left to right, and from right to left, and neither seems to work. Maybe im just not finishing correctly, but im afraid to apply too much pressure and trying to avoid ripping the top or the stitching from the zipper. BTW the zippers are opposite and face back to back, meaning the both face down when the top is completely zipped closed. If i unzip them both they meet in the center and face opposite directions.
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
Jaybob7

I was looking for the answer to your question. Everyone suggested rolling up the window and using the snap straps to hold it. Can you not remove the rear window on that year of soft top?

Unread 07-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thats sounds right, mine face back to back too.
Mine opens zipped all the way to the left. Maybe they're just crusted with salt and dirt, trying washing them with soap and water (water will dissolve any salts) If that fails chances are they're frozen. If its an old top its probably time for a new one, try and find an OEM I think they work better than aftermarket tops.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
AGreen
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Top was replaced by previous owner about two years ago, and is actually in really good condition. All other zippers are good and zip and unzip smooth. Just to make sure everyone is on the same page. Both long points( starter points) are on the left side of the top, and both end points ( short studded stops) are on the right side of the top when closed completely.
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2000 with same zipper setup. They both have to be to the left and close together to get the window out. Make sure you keep them together, keep both sides of the zipper teeth straight and pull upwards.

I have more trouble getting them started when I put the window in.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #10
AGreen
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got it guys, thank you for your help. All the way together and to the left, took a sec, but it works. Thanks !
Unread 08-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
KJNewbs
1983 CJ7 

Figured I'd say thank you to all on this one....just tried taking the back window out of my new Jeep for the first time....couldnt get it...same thoughts went through my head as AGreen...jumped on here, quick search, found this and TAA-DAA...all the way to left, pull up..comes right off!* Love this place.....
KJNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
TheAlpha
2011 JK Wrangler 

Same issue on 2011 JK

Just got my soft top from Bestop yesterday. I have the rear window rolled up only cause I couldn't undo the zippers. I've war he'd videos Nd read all kinds of posts. Held both zippers in my left hand and pulled up on window. Nothin!

What's left to try?
TheAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
soft top , rear window , remove , removing , zipper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.