Soft Top Recommendation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft Top Recommendation

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 09-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Natrx
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Soft Top Recommendation

I currently have a 2001 TJ with a Bestop Supertop that is showing some age. I'd like to replace it in the near future but wanted to get some input "from the field" as i haven't been too impressed with the Supertop.

One thing I dont like is the windshield header latches as they are the bolt kind instead of the quick release kind.

Another issue is the corners around the windshield have never fit snug and i occasionally get a leak around those edges when it rains. Yes, i've seen the video instructing to ensure the header is turned appropriately and there is no gap.

So, i guess the question is, are there top options where i could use the same hardware but also replace the latches or is the latest generation of the Supertop better than previous ones?

thanks for your input!
Nate

img_7953.jpg  
Natrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That was a top & PITA support mechanism that Bestop was forced to sell in the retail marketplace because a contract in effect between Bestop & Jeep forbade Bestop from selling the better mechanism Bestop was providing Jeep to be installed into new Jeeps at the factory.

So until a couple years ago, you could only buy the better Bestop-made factory style frame from the dealer. Bestop was forced by Jeep to sell the crappier PITA mechanism like you have.

That contract finally expired a couple years ago so Bestop can now sell the much better OEM style frame with the better factory-style latches with the same Sailcloth fabric that came on new TJs. Look for their Supertop NX, that kit contains everything needed including latches, new door surrounds, frame, etc. Everything you need to install it, you won't reuse any of your existing parts.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
rubisteel

trektop NX from bestop... i just bought one and love it. the price was right and you can fold the driver and passenger top back for some sun. acts as a safari top too. Look into it...
rubisteel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Look for their Supertop NX, that kit contains everything needed including latches, new door surrounds, frame, etc. Everything you need to install it, you won't reuse any of your existing parts.
x2
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
ItsMrHall

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That was a top & PITA support mechanism that Bestop was forced to sell in the retail marketplace because a contract in effect between Bestop & Jeep forbade Bestop from selling the better mechanism Bestop was providing Jeep to be installed into new Jeeps at the factory.

So until a couple years ago, you could only buy the better Bestop-made factory style frame from the dealer. Bestop was forced by Jeep to sell the crappier PITA mechanism like you have.

That contract expired so Bestop can now sell the much better OEM style frame with the better factory-style latches with the same Sailcloth fabric that came on new TJs. Look for their Supertop NX, that kit contains everything needed including latches, new door surrounds, frame, etc. Everything you need to install it, you won't reuse any of your existing parts.
This, I have also had good luck with the Rampage frameless, just my luck??*shrug*

"No its a tie. That guy doesn't count, he can't even read!"
ItsMrHall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
IslandHopper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Go frameless.... Bestop or Rampage. (that same channel-header you already have will work with either.)
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
salthawk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Supertop NX

Got a Supertop NX this summer. It is pretty nice and has all the hardware with it and clamps to the top of the windshield like the hard top does. Has a nice flip back top and I like to run it with the doors off and windows out but top still up(see pale bald guy). I have broke one of the knuckles and they sent me a bag of them incase it happens again.

Overall I am happy with it but would be intrigued by one of the frameless options as I am not sure what the "carriage" really does. I guess it depends on where you live and if you run a hardtop in the winter(Iowa here)good luck.
salthawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
Natrx
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody heard/seen reviews of the QuadraTops by Quadratec? I've always been happy with their customer service but didn't even know they had their own soft top line.

And what does frameless mean? No hardware?
Natrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Get the Bestop.
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
YellowJacketCO
Jeepholic

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have had my Bestop Trektop NX for about a year now here inColorado andlove it with zero problems and the sunrider feature is fantastic. I uses a factory type header and take seconds to flip back the sunrider.
YellowJacketCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
I am a fan of the Supertop NX, been running mine for over a year .
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
tj120
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i didnt like the older supertop i had either. it bought it probably 5 years ago. i went back to using the factory replacement tops from besttop. these seem to be about the easiest to operate and seal up nice. im not a big fan of the windsheild header on those supertops. my jeep is just way to high to be messing around trying to fit that plastic front edge into the header bar in the front. i would rather just pull it up and latch it down. never tried the supertop nx though so i cant speak for it.
tj120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bestop , soft top , supertop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.