Soft top rear window zipper issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft top rear window zipper issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
succubus26
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Soft top rear window zipper issue

Does anyone have a solution for the "soft top rear window zipper" issue? I currently have a rear window that won't zip up. It's beginning to get cold again. I've always had problems with the rear window zipper on factory Jeep soft tops and aftermarket soft tops. Should I replace the zipper on my current soft top or buy a hard top?

succubus26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
freeunit
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem which started this last spring. I ended up going to a local shop and they just put one new zipper on it, the one that you pull all the way over to the right. They put a new zipper and some how it works. I tried using wax and other lubricants on the zipper which never worked and they put a new zipper on and it works now. Not sure if I go lucky with that but worth a shot.
Sway Bar disconnects
Aussie front Locker
Uniden 510 CB
freeunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If the zipper and pull are still intact and not broke, some lube should help a lot. I use a little silicon grease wipe on both side on the zipper and then wipe off the excess. Some here use other stuff, even wax and crayons.
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Gobbles347
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I actually just put snaps in it, only the right side is screwed up, but having snaps only on 1 side would just look stupid
pa030606.jpg  
Gobbles347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
r6less
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeunit View Post
I had the same problem which started this last spring. I ended up going to a local shop and they just put one new zipper on it, the one that you pull all the way over to the right. They put a new zipper and some how it works. I tried using wax and other lubricants on the zipper which never worked and they put a new zipper on and it works now. Not sure if I go lucky with that but worth a shot.
What kind of shop?
r6less is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Inspect the zipper, are any of the teeth missing? Some cracks are ok too but missing ones will need to be replaced at an upolstery shop expect to pay about $80-100 for one window installed.

If the teeth are ok then you just need a new slider which I sell in my kits via paypal. 1 pull tab should do it but if its the rear you might want 2. I will send you a PM. Good Luck.

87 XJ Laredo(sold) 98 ZJ limited(sold) 97 TJ Sport(totalled) 98 XJ Classic(totalled)

99 TJ Sahara----->I AM BACK TJer's
-JKS quicker discos, AC fire prevention mod, 31x10.50x15 Trxus M/T's, OME 2.5 HD kit
CO_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
Spoonz
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So how do you go about putting two zippers on the rear window? I ordered mine from jeepit.com about a month ago (is that you CO? Incredible turn around time if it was and thank you! If it's not sorry for straying!) I can get the one zipper on no problem but I can't get the double zipper going like the factory. I liked to unzip one from the left and the other from the right so they met in the top/middle then rolled it up and snapped it on nice days. Anyway to do this? Been messing with it for about an hour and can't figure it out. Any help would be awesome.
Spoonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
Spoonz
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Never mind. Took a step back, opened a beer, finished said beer, and all became clear. Is there anything beer can't do?
Spoonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
TheStigX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I bring out a pair of pliers if the window won't zipper up.
Unread 10-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
bsbllyan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The top slider (when both the sliders are all the way to the left) on my rear window came off the track and I can't figure out any way to put it back on. Any ideas/tips? (besides paying an upholstery shop a bunch of money to replace it).
bsbllyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #11
xlr84fun
2002 TJ Wrangler 

lol, driveway articulation... thats how me and friends eat up time when we don't have money to go anywhere... lmao
Unread 10-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #12
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

looks like that guy likes his PT cruisers!
tcoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #13
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbllyan View Post
The top slider (when both the sliders are all the way to the left) on my rear window came off the track and I can't figure out any way to put it back on. Any ideas/tips? (besides paying an upholstery shop a bunch of money to replace it).
It's easy!! At the end of the zipper track there is a little metal piesce that you can pry apart and the Zipper will slide right on. Then either try to put the metal piece back on or go to an upholstery shop or a boat canvas shop and get new metal pieces and just squeeze them back on. Hopefully this makes sense to you cuz I'm kind of confusing myself. I went to a local boat canvas shop and they gave me new zipper pulls and zipper stops (the little metal pieces) for free. Just tell them you can do it yourself (you can trust me it's easy) you just need to know what you need to get to fix it.
NCUNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #14
Exl2392
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I tried putting a #10 zipper on mine and it keeps skipping track, never completely zips and always leaves gaps... Two upholstery shops tried Fixing it and it still will not Zip, might be easier to try in the warmer weather but when it warms up no need for windows!
Exl2392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #15
timberwolf0122
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I took my jeep to a tent/sail guy who put a new zip in. I now wax my zip regularly to keep it running smooth.
Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
MacGyver Club Member #1
Doctor Who has died 10 times, is on his 11th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
I think he's calling his Jeep "Tardis," which is British slang for pimp mobile. - Dangfoo
timberwolf0122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.