Soft Top Questions - Supertop v Trektop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft Top Questions - Supertop v Trektop

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
stevemoores
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Soft Top Questions - Supertop v Trektop

Hi.

First post here, I've read as many of the FAQ's and Boot Camp articles as I can, but now have some specific questions.

I'm the proud owner of a '05 Rubicon stock as far as I can tell (my mid-life crisis vehicle as my wife calls it). Really rare around here, especially stock, so I'm very pleased with it. I'm not planning any mods myself for a while, but do need a soft-top for the summer, so I'm here to pick brains.

I live in Western Canada, our winters can get down to almost -40f, our summers can be up in the 90's, maybe higher. My Rubi has the Hardtop, and according to the build sheet from the dealer, it did originally come with option AEM Dual Top Group, which I think means it had a soft top at one time.

I've been looking at the Bestop Supertop NX and the Trektop NX, and want to know about ease of installation and use. I like them because they supply everything you need (tailgate bar, header bar, OEM style door surrounds), I looked at Rampage, but it looks like with their products I have to make sure I get the bars and door surrounds myself (?).

Basically, I want something I can put on in the spring and remove in the fall. But also, can be dropped to be fully open on those hot summer days driving home from work or weekend runs with the wife + kid. Both have the front flip, but I want to be able to drop totally.

How would you compare installation of both? The Supertop looks a bit more work due to the frame. The Trektop is better looking IMO. In both cases, this will be a one time thing in the spring, so not a huge deal.

I like the idea of the 'safari top' on the Trecktop, but assume you get a similar effect from Supertop with all the windows out/rolled?

What are they like for stripping down to full topless? It looks like the Supertop wins here, do you just unclip the front, unzip windows and fold? Roughly how long for 1-person?

The install instructions for the Trektop mention loosening the soundbar and installing straps around the rollcage, do these need to be removed before the top can be folded all the way down? That might be a bit of a show-stopper if so.

Lastly, I'll be looking at Black, but is Denim or Diamond easier to keep clean? I think Denim looks better from what I can tell in photos, being a lot more matt and 'clothlike' than the diamond.

Last, lastly. I just wanted to say this forum is an awesome resource, I've been reading posts back to 2005 and learnt more about Jeeps here than I could have done anywhere else.

Steve

stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
stevemoores
2005 TJ Wrangler 

OK, replying to my own thread (got to get my post count up somehow).

Thinking I'd read every thread on here about soft tops, I found another that answers all my questions:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/be...op-nx-1196202/

Thanks
stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Coopie
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This happens all the time with mine...

That quick-release pin should be 2-3mm longer... :s
Coopie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestop , soft top

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.