soft top owners - must read - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > soft top owners - must read

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-14-2003, 10:05 PM   #1
DrEvil

soft top owners - must read

I have a 99 TJ and the soft windows were really foggy. I was thinking I would just end up replacing the top in the spring so that I could have windows that I could actually see things out of other than headlights. I heard about Plexus and Meguires plastic cleaner on this board and thought what the h3ll. Might as well give it a try. My local auto parts store had the Meguires Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner and Meguires Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish. All I have to say is OH MY GOD!!! It really did the trick! I'm not going to say my windows look brand new, but pretty damn close! The difference is amazing! It took all of 30 mins to do all my clear windows (except for door windows - I have the sliders) inside and out. It was the best 14.00 I ever spend on my Jeep. The cleaner is what really does the work. I think the polish just does the Lemon Pledge trick of filling in the fine scratches with a wax. If you only get one of the bottles, the cleaner is the one to get. Just thought I would let you guys in on how well this stuff works. And no, I do not work for Meguires.

DrEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2003, 10:44 PM   #2
Tango

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil
I have a 99 TJ and the soft windows were really foggy. I was thinking I would just end up replacing the top in the spring so that I could have windows that I could actually see things out of other than headlights. I heard about Plexus and Meguires plastic cleaner on this board and thought what the h3ll. Might as well give it a try. My local auto parts store had the Meguires Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner and Meguires Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish. All I have to say is OH MY GOD!!! It really did the trick! I'm not going to say my windows look brand new, but pretty damn close! The difference is amazing! It took all of 30 mins to do all my clear windows (except for door windows - I have the sliders) inside and out. It was the best 14.00 I ever spend on my Jeep. The cleaner is what really does the work. I think the polish just does the Lemon Pledge trick of filling in the fine scratches with a wax. If you only get one of the bottles, the cleaner is the one to get. Just thought I would let you guys in on how well this stuff works. And no, I do not work for Meguires.
thanks for the tip .....did you happen to get before and after pictures?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2003, 06:32 AM   #3
HoCKeYKiD

yeah, I've been looking for a good plastic cleaner. my windows are terrible, especially the back window. Does anyone have a good idea on keeping the plastic windows from fogging or dewing at night? I've been struggling with that as well. When you go out to ur jeep in the morning and you can't see out of your back window, could lead to a fender bender or two .. haha

[COLOR=darkgreen][B]'97 Jeep Wrangler Sport[/B][/COLOR]
4.0L Inline 6-cyl.
31' Tires
Hunter Green - Tan Interior
Pioneer Speakers all around
Amplified 8' Bass Tube with Audiobahn sub in back
[COLOR=navy]Sexy Driver <-- HoCKeYKiD Edition :-)[/COLOR]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
HoCKeYKiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2003, 07:57 AM   #4
rainmn
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the Novus stuff. Been using it for years on my boats and it works great. Just did all the soft windows on my new (Used) TJ last weekend also. They look 100% better.
You can order a kit with all 3 Novus products right off their site for $25.00. Includes a heavy scratch remover, light scratch remover, and the cleaner/polish spray.
http://www.novuspolish.com/
rainmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2003, 10:27 AM   #5
DrEvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
thanks for the tip .....did you happen to get before and after pictures?
No...I didn't get any before and afters. After I did the first window, I thought about getting my camera, but I was so excited and having so much fun, I didn't want to stop! Trust me though - the difference is HUGE!
DrEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2003, 03:49 PM   #6
Warrior8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoCKeYKiD
yeah, I've been looking for a good plastic cleaner. my windows are terrible, especially the back window. Does anyone have a good idea on keeping the plastic windows from fogging or dewing at night? I've been struggling with that as well. When you go out to ur jeep in the morning and you can't see out of your back window, could lead to a fender bender or two .. haha
Hockeykid, if you do play hockey, you would know that regular shower shampoo works great on ITECH facemasks... yeah, it works for softtop windows too. I have not had any problems with them fogging up. Every so often i rub plain shower shampoo on the side and back windows. Fog be gone
Warrior8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2003, 06:16 PM   #7
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

a great way to prevent fogging/dewing overnight... if you switch your ac to vent it will let cool air come in from the outside therefore equalinzing the temperatures, this will then prevent much of the fogging. Everynight i turn my AC from off to vent. Leave it on vent until morning then switch it to whatever you want. later yall

keith
Unread 10-16-2003, 06:56 PM   #8
AirborneSilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior8
Hockeykid, if you do play hockey, you would know that regular shower shampoo works great on ITECH facemasks... yeah, it works for softtop windows too. I have not had any problems with them fogging up. Every so often i rub plain shower shampoo on the side and back windows. Fog be gone
Warrior8, I don't play hockey but I do SCUBA dive and yeah you can use shampoo but spit is cheaper so I just spit in my maks, you can try spitting on your windows Just kidding Good tip if we move to the mainland and I need to keep my windows from fogging.

Does anyone know if any of those products are for the tinted plastic windows?
04 Rubicon, Stone White w/all options, RE 4.5" superflex, 1" BL & 1" MML, Custom Front Bumper, Custom Rear Bumper w/swing out tire carrier, Custom Rock Rails w/steps, Mile Marker 12K winch/w Amsteel Blue synthetic line, 15X8 Black Rock crawler wheels w/35X12.5 Pro Comp Mudders, 800 watt power inverter. York OBA.
AirborneSilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2003, 08:06 PM   #9
rainmn
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the tinted windows on mine...no problems with the Novus stuff. Can't speak personally for the other products, but I'd guess they're similar.
rainmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2003, 08:10 PM   #10
AirborneSilva

Thanks...........................
04 Rubicon, Stone White w/all options, RE 4.5" superflex, 1" BL & 1" MML, Custom Front Bumper, Custom Rear Bumper w/swing out tire carrier, Custom Rock Rails w/steps, Mile Marker 12K winch/w Amsteel Blue synthetic line, 15X8 Black Rock crawler wheels w/35X12.5 Pro Comp Mudders, 800 watt power inverter. York OBA.
AirborneSilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2003, 12:45 PM   #11
HoCKeYKiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior8
Hockeykid, if you do play hockey, you would know that regular shower shampoo works great on ITECH facemasks...
Warrior, I do play hockey but us kids that aren't scared of the puck don't play with face masks .. thanks for the shampoo idea!

[COLOR=darkgreen][B]'97 Jeep Wrangler Sport[/B][/COLOR]
4.0L Inline 6-cyl.
31' Tires
Hunter Green - Tan Interior
Pioneer Speakers all around
Amplified 8' Bass Tube with Audiobahn sub in back
[COLOR=navy]Sexy Driver <-- HoCKeYKiD Edition :-)[/COLOR]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
HoCKeYKiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2003, 03:04 PM   #12
redrubi04

About the whole dew on the windows thing, this may sound dumb, but for the morning i just have a squeegee that i sometimes use to just get rid of it farely quickly. I do agree, it can get really hard to drive in the morning when there covered.
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]1" BL, 3" BDS, 2" RE Spacers, JKS Disco's, 35" BFG A/T's, etc.[/B] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #87[/B][/COLOR] [/FONT]
redrubi04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2003, 06:38 AM   #13
Bodawgone

Mother's mag and aluminum polish works also. You would think it would be too abrasive but it is not.
Bodawgone is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.