Soft top? full hard doors vs. half doors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft top? full hard doors vs. half doors

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-17-2004, 10:18 AM   #1
jgarden

Soft top? full hard doors vs. half doors

Probably an easy question for those of you that know the TJ inside and out. I bought my jeep (used) with a soft top on it, but no doors. I just installed some 1/2 doors with soft uppers. There is a about a 1 inch gap at the rear portion - between the 1/2 upper and the soft top. I am guessing there are two different soft tops . . . one made for full hard doors and one made for 1/2 doors?

Am I correct?

I either have to buy full doors or a new soft top??????

TIA

jgarden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2004, 10:37 AM   #2
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The factory soft top fits both full hard and half hard doors w/o a problem. I have both, I know this for a fact. Is your top the factory style soft top, or is it an aftermarket one? If it is the factory top, do you have the door surrounds (fairly big, clunky plastic pieces that surround the door opening)?

2013 Dodge Charger | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | Ramsey Winches | www.dakuda.com
dakuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2004, 11:02 AM   #3
jgarden

I don't see the large chunky plastic pieces..... The top and the soft uppers (for the doors) are OEM. I guess that is what I need.

Any pics of them? Do they bolt into place onto the roolbar or the soft top hardware?

Thanks
Unread 10-17-2004, 11:10 AM   #4
jgarden

Found some pics on ebay . . . I suspect that is what I need. Looks like there are different models - a folding one and non folding? Does it make a difference?
Unread 10-17-2004, 11:19 AM   #5
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The folding one is newer, they fit the same, but are more practical for storage.

There should be a plastic piece running along the vertiacl fron edge of your side windows, and some L shaped plastic along the top of the door frame on the soft top. DO you see those? THat def means you have the factory style top, and you need the surrounds

Unread 10-17-2004, 12:23 PM   #6
jgarden

There is a strip of plastic vertically and horizontally. It is hard plastic similar to that which runs along the bottom of the soft top?

Also there is a chrysler symobol etched in the soft top plastic windows, so I assume it is OEM.

There is a 1-2 inch gap between the upper soft door and the soft top, so it seems that is what is needed.

THanks again.
Unread 10-17-2004, 12:26 PM   #7
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to make certain we were on the same page. Sounds like it. Def try to find those used, they are pricey.

Unread 10-17-2004, 02:25 PM   #8
jgarden

Dakuda, do you kow if it is possible to use the later model 02-04 (or is it 03-04) tops with 97-02 (or 01). I know the tops are different, but what if you have all the hardware with it too?
Unread 10-17-2004, 03:00 PM   #9
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have an 02 top on my 98. IIRC, you can go from the later years (02-04) and use the top on the earlier years, but not the other way around.

I bought my 02 top with all of the hardware, and it works perfectly fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.