Soft top frustration / New top advice ... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft top frustration / New top advice ...

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 05-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
boab
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Soft top frustration / New top advice ...

Ok guys, help me pick a new soft top, its taken me over an hour already to try and get this wrecthed smittybilt soft top on, in 45F weather. Way too much frustration with the back window zipper!!!!!!

wants
(a) easy to put the darned thing back on
(b) being able to fold the front part back for "sunroof" mode, when the weather is more iffy

also any advice on how to get this darned back window in would be so gratefully received. I'm thinking the smittybilt top was the cheapest for a reason... so frustrated!!!!

boab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

How do you expect to get a top on when its 45 degrees out?

It's pretty crappy out there today around here too.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I also have a smittybuilt, but it sounds way too cold where ur at, it can't stretch at that temp,I think the instructions say install when it's +75', otherwise u risk breaking the zippers,, good luck
gloksrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It was a pain for me to install my smittybuilt top and it was 70 and sunny out when I did it. It's a really tight fit for the top compared to OEM, or at least the OEM 2006 top I was using originally.

I'd suggest starting your Jeep, turning on the heat full blast/hottest setting, and aim the vents at the roof of the top. It'll help loosen the top up enough to get the windows zipped up. You'll want to have the doors closed, the front uppers install, and the roof/rear sail panels latched down (clamp down the header clips last though, just have the latches in the hole).

It should only take a few minutes for the heat to noticeably loosen the top so you will barely use any gas at all letting it idle. I do this sometimes when re-installing a soft top at night when its cool so I don't have to spend 20 minutes fighting with zippers.
06philaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I know on my OEM top a little lube on the zippers help, hot or cold.
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
bdub1285
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I just got the Softoppper frameless soft top. I would recommend checking it out.
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boab View Post
I'm thinking the smittybilt top was the cheapest for a reason... so frustrated!!!!
You are correct!
Install the front and pull down really hard on the rear frame and it will go on in any temps.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
jimwww
2011 JK Wrangler 

70f to get a top on. Find a heated garage. I just bought a Frameless NX Bestop and at 68f I could not put the side windows on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.