Soft top compatibility - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft top compatibility

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-04-2005, 07:33 AM   #1
debblitch

Soft top compatibility

Am looking for a complete soft top set-up, top and all hardware for my '04 Wrangler. While looking on E-Bay, I see lots of '97-05 sets for sale. Are they all compatible.....i.e., can I install an '02 on my '04?

debblitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2005, 07:40 AM   #2
Alec

You may do that but you must aquire the complete set (hardware, windows, and top)

Also, you will be needing the door surrounds ( a complex piece of plastic shaped like a "7")

Those are necessary to fill the gap between the soft top and the doors (full or half doors)

If you need the COMPLETE kit .... go right ahead.

Windshield, doors , tub, and overall dimensions have not changed on the tj since 97; you will be fine if you get the complete set

[CENTER]
Powertrain envy sufferer - Softop tinkerer [/CENTER]
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The only catch I have heard of for going the direction you are is they supposedly made the holes in the windshield frame smaller. Going newer top with frame to an older Jeep is not a problem, I do know that one for sure.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2005, 12:17 PM   #4
volleygirlamy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a bestop supertop for sale in the "for sale" section if you are interested in it. Its black denim with regular windows not tinted, w/o the upper doors.
volleygirlamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2005, 12:22 PM   #5
logixrat

I also have an 04 model w/ factory hard top and looking for a soft top. I have heard that either 02 or 03+ models changed slightly. Something about the angle of the windshields being ever so slightly different. The end result is that you have to fiddle with an older top to get it to fit right on the 04 model.

Again, these are just odds & ends I have heard. I wish I could get a definitive answer on the matter.

In regards to the Supertop, they are good deal. Things I don't like are you have to replace the entire unit (fabric & frame) as they don't sell a top only. And the frame work is different so a factory top won't work with it. That only matters if you plan on keeping the Jeep forever, which I do.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.