So you want a Tummy Tuck... - Page 69 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So you want a Tummy Tuck...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #1021
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Yep, uhc .250 aluminum
I spoke with UCF about it, their warranty covers their defects, not my choice of obstacles, I can't blame them for that.
Matt did offer to help me with the cost of a 3/8", but I'm just gonna run this until it doesn't work anymore.
He said he's only ever had 1 other 1/4" AL plate get bent, so it must not be common.
It's got a little more clearance for next time I guess.

WKdeuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #1022
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

but was it supposed to have two sets of mounting holes?

even better, are there two aluminum braces going across the top side of the skid?

i'd think that would add more strength but rob clearances
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #1023
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't ask about the holes - maybe that's a 4 banger thing.
Only 1 crossmember.
WKdeuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #1024
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This is a very good read, and I read over most of the first page but did not read all 68 pages, but am looking at making a decision soon and would like to get some opinions on some parts I'm looking at and what all I need.
First off about my jeep. I have a 1.25" jks body lift and 2" springs but after some measurements compared to my stock TJ, my jeep is really at 1.5" of suspension lift.
So, I need an SYE because recently an unknown bad u-joint caused a drive shaft and subsequently a transfer case output shaft failure so I figure its the same labor to replace with stock or upgrade to an SYE, and if I'm doing a SYE why not finally do a tummy tuck.

So first question is whether to get regular SYE or super short style? I understand some of the benefits but i found the rugged ridge regular SYE for 150, and that price is a lot easier on the pocket over the 260 at least for every super short SYE. So is it worth the money to go super short for any lift/tummy tuck height? I was thinking since I'm doing some kind of SYE I may go up almost another inch in suspension since my fenders are all stock and are really close to the tires right now anyways so my height would be higher than I indicated earlier. Next, does anyone have any experience with the Teraflex Extreme short shaft SYE kit? its a few bucks less than JB super short kit and its actually in stock right now, so is it any good if I went super short style?

Next question, I'm debating what skid to get, I'm thinking UCF skids but cant decide which one based on a few factors. I know I dont have the money to go aluminum so I know it will be steel. But is there any chance that with an SYE and a skid near stock height I wont need adjustable upper control arms or will I no matter what need adjustable upper rear control arms. I was thinking if I didnt move the skid up too much I might not need the uppers, but if I need them no matter what then I might as well go with the skid that gives the most clearance.

Also one more question, I see on their website the low profile transfer case mount, what is that needed for? will I need it or is it just optional?
Unread 03-26-2013, 05:30 AM   #1025
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbro's View Post
But is there any chance that with an SYE and a skid near stock height I wont need adjustable upper control arms or will I no matter what need adjustable upper rear control arms. I was thinking if I didnt move the skid up too much I might not need the uppers, but if I need them no matter what then I might as well go with the skid that gives the most clearance.
If you install an SYE, you need to change the pinion angle appropriately:

http://www.4xshaft.com/images/2joint_angle.gif
http://www.4xshaft.com/images/cv_angle.gif

It will be easiest to do so with adjustable control arms.

As for SSYE vs SYE, it never hurts to have a longer driveshaft in this situation. The SSYE will be more expensive in the long run, but it can be very beneficial. But then again depending on your lift height and everything else an SSYE might not be necessary.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #1026
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

By the time you replace the seal that comes with the rugged ridge sye you could have bought a jb conversion sye. Even the standard jb is shorter then the rr sye. if you go ssye you will need a speedo healer to correct the speedometer.

The low pro mount is for improved driveshaft angles and clearance above the transmission and transfer case.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #1027
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just picked up a Barnes 1/4" steel flat skid for $140 shipped. Going to be interesting to see how it will all work with my new 44re. Also picked up a clock ring for the transfer case.

Got to see if the teraflex seal spacer will work with the overdrive transmission and clock ring. Any other longer seal suggestions would be great.
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #1028
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
I just picked up a Barnes 1/4" steel flat skid for $140 shipped. Going to be interesting to see how it will all work with my new 44re. Also picked up a clock ring for the transfer case.

Got to see if the teraflex seal spacer will work with the overdrive transmission and clock ring. Any other longer seal suggestions would be great.
I just looked them up, seems like a really good price, anyone have any experience with them? that might be a good solution for me to save a few bucks and just have to drill out some hols for the t-case mount. Also, would I need the low pro transfer case mount? I understand that it lowers the transfer case closer to the skid but is this really needed or is it optional depending on lift height. I may get the Barnes 0" drop skid and be at a total suspension lift height of 2-2.5", and trying to figure out if I would need the low pro transfer case mount if I go with the teraflex extreme short shaft SYE.
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #1029
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbro's View Post

I just looked them up, seems like a really good price, anyone have any experience with them? that might be a good solution for me to save a few bucks and just have to drill out some hols for the t-case mount. Also, would I need the low pro transfer case mount? I understand that it lowers the transfer case closer to the skid but is this really needed or is it optional depending on lift height. I may get the Barnes 0" drop skid and be at a total suspension lift height of 2-2.5", and trying to figure out if I would need the low pro transfer case mount if I go with the teraflex extreme short shaft SYE.
At that point I would fab my own mount. You may need to clock the case to clear the skid , or bang the heck out of the tub with a bfh, or both! I'm going to pick my skid up in about ten minutes since it was just delivered. I'll try to do some test fitting tomorrow and let you know. Although you need to take into consideration I have a v8 and 44re, so mounting points and clearance may not be the same for your setup.
Unread 03-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #1030
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

ive got the barnes flat belly skid. get some good drill bits and pilot the holes 1/4" is thick!! ive got some vibrations because i wasnt able to get an aftermarket tranny mount i have the unfortunate luck of the 30rh. i plan on adding a few washers to try and lower it im not sure if the vibes are from contact or the new bd motor mounts that i installed at the same time but skids good i also plan on counter sinking the holes that mount to the frame. not sure what to do about the motor mount though id love to have the lowpro mount.
2012-12-15-16.08.17.jpg   2012-12-15-16.08.48.jpg  
2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
rbkelley89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #1031
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkelley89
ive got the barnes flat belly skid. get some good drill bits and pilot the holes 1/4" is thick!! ive got some vibrations because i wasnt able to get an aftermarket tranny mount i have the unfortunate luck of the 30rh. i plan on adding a few washers to try and lower it im not sure if the vibes are from contact or the new bd motor mounts that i installed at the same time but skids good i also plan on counter sinking the holes that mount to the frame. not sure what to do about the motor mount though id love to have the lowpro mount.
How much suspension lift do you have? Your lower control arms are steep! Did you have to modify the floor or clock the 231 to run the flat skid?
Unread 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #1032
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

its rc 4" springs but rotating the pinion so high it is now uneven with the front. the uppers are even worse there at the end of the thread on the currie adjustables. didnt modify the floor at all wish i hit it with a mallet a few times. i will be adding most likely two sets of washers to try and bring the pinion down a bit get rid of the vibes and counter sink the holes to finish it up. The stock tranny mount is why the pinion is so high
2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
Unread 03-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #1033
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The stock tranny mount + such tall springs on a SWB TJ is the problem. Very high pinion and control arm angles.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #1034
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

imped do you think id benefit at all from a lowpro mount? just put on the no bl skid and have 4" springs as well. pinion doesnt seem that bad but i dont really know whats good so? fan blade is close to the shroud but doesnt make contact at all. any mods to use it with the 42rle? i seen that pic the one guy said he modded the stock mount but i dont know what im looking at in the pic. matt said the no bl raises everything 1.25".
Unread 03-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #1035
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

agreed. My jeep is no longer leval either so i am thinking about getting the 3" metal cloak dual rate springs and would love to cut 3/4" out of the stock mount, im kinda waiting for ucf or savvy to make a mount for the 30 rh but i dnt think i should hold my breath if i could i would go with the lopro!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
The stock tranny mount + such tall springs on a SWB TJ is the problem. Very high pinion and control arm angles.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.