So you want a Tummy Tuck... - Page 57 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So you want a Tummy Tuck...

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #841
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here are some different views of the clearance on the skid plate. One of the best mods you can do.

img_0465.jpg   img_0466.jpg   img_0472.jpg   img_0498.jpg   img_0474.jpg  

img_0571.jpg  
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #842
saxart
1999 TJ Wrangler 

2000X-
Those are great pictures of that skid. Thanks for posting them. What is that "spacer" between your skid and the frame?

All-
Does anyone have a picture of UCF's "No Body Lift" skid installed?

'99 Wrangler Sport: 2.5" Old Man Emo lift and shocks, adjustable trackbars, Quick-Disko sway links, rollin on 31" BFG A/Ts
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #843
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

That spacer is part of the Rough Country long arm setup he has. It connects the LCA mounts together.

How much clearance was gained at the skid from stock with that setup?
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #844
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
That spacer is part of the Rough Country long arm setup he has. It connects the LCA mounts together.

Looks like he has UCF's "original" clearance skid.......plus the spacer.......he probably gained 2" clearance over the stock shovel skid.

I have the UCF "Ultra clearance skid" and no spacer.....so I have about 3.5-4" gain in clearance over stock skid.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #845
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
2000X-
Those are great pictures of that skid. Thanks for posting them. What is that "spacer" between your skid and the frame?

All-
Does anyone have a picture of UCF's "No Body Lift" skid installed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post

Thank you -
The skid plate is the Original Extra-Clearance Carbon Steel 3/16" Skid Plate. The spacer is part of my long arm set up. It is only 1/2" thick. I probably gained about 3" over stock.
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #846
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a pic from a distance. The clearance is incredible.
img_1457.jpg  
Unread 09-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #847
97wrangler-242
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a 1/4" (stock shovel is 1/8") ultra high clearance ucf and some comparison pics. Matt's oil pan skid is hanging on the wall waiting to be installed. Has 2 mounting points to take advantage of a mml for 1" additional skid clearance. Plan on picking up his 1" raised gas tank skid for a nice set with more clearance than the next guy . Did a rough country bl, jks mml, novak cable shifter, and all the works from currie and Adams driveshafts for a sye which was NEEDED for just the skid on stock springs, no spacers. Learned the hard way, spend the extra 40$ to get a jb conversions sye. They have the shortest yoke of all sye's with a double sprung seal that won't leak like the joke of a sye rugged ridge sells. The output seal has soaked my skid in tranny fluid. Lube for sliding over rocks? Haha
image-551109675.jpg   image-2537034196.jpg   image-2375504576.jpg  
97wrangler-242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #848
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yep, love my UCF system, I have the Ultra clearance skid with the engine skid and 1" gas tank tuck skid. Fantastic products.
Unread 10-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #849
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

2003X, looks good, I had almost the same setup as you, but I sat on my tummy tuck skids for months until I could get around to welding on the control arm brackets and getting rid of the stupid bolt on Rough Country bracket.

I would have not taken the corner out of the skid to fit around the bracket, but that's just me. There are many things inherently wrong with that bracket like it acting as a TCase drop, and only securing the skid with 4 of the 6 intended bolts. Even worse, is now the rear section of that skid is compromise strength wise. There is a reason the skids are corner boxed like they are, it is what enabled them to take hits without deforming. I guarantee if you hit the back end of the skid on something its going to bend upwards, ask me how I know.

Anyways, here is a side picture of the one I just finished. I definitely have room for a higher clearance skid, but I wasn't going to argue with a gently used Jeep Medic skid for 1/4 of the price they are new.

Looking for: Fan shroud, interior 03-06 plastic windshield trim. PM me.
TroubleNEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #850
undercoverfab
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleNEO View Post
2003X, looks good, I had almost the same setup as you, but I sat on my tummy tuck skids for months until I could get around to welding on the control arm brackets and getting rid of the stupid bolt on Rough Country bracket.

I would have not taken the corner out of the skid to fit around the bracket, but that's just me. There are many things inherently wrong with that bracket like it acting as a TCase drop, and only securing the skid with 4 of the 6 intended bolts. Even worse, is now the rear section of that skid is compromise strength wise. There is a reason the skids are corner boxed like they are, it is what enabled them to take hits without deforming. I guarantee if you hit the back end of the skid on something its going to bend upwards, ask me how I know.

Anyways, here is a side picture of the one I just finished. I definitely have room for a higher clearance skid, but I wasn't going to argue with a gently used Jeep Medic skid for 1/4 of the price they are new.

Nice job on the control arm bracket install! Now you need the Ultra High-Clearance skid.
(334) 873-4000

Jeep Forum 10% Off Discount Code: jeepforum.com

Check us out on Facebook

undercoverfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #851
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003X View Post
Thank you -
The skid plate is the Original Extra-Clearance Carbon Steel 3/16" Skid Plate. The spacer is part of my long arm set up. It is only 1/2" thick. I probably gained about 3" over stock.
If its the orignal skid, plus the half inch spacer means you gained about 2". THe original skid plate is 2.5" over stock roughly in gained clearance without the spacer.
Unread 10-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #852
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep medic 1/4 inch I wish I had measured before I dropped the old skid but stock + TC drop = the suck. A bit higher and a lot stronger. Only thing was it was off of a late model TJ so I had to drill and set new nutserts in the right spots.

Unread 10-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #853
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Same pic.

Last edited by DevilDogDoc; 10-04-2012 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: Same pic came up.
DevilDogDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #854
danielbuck
Uncle Buck

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc View Post
A bit higher and a lot stronger.
And something you didn't mention. SMOOTH! The factory transfer case skid (on my manual transmission anyway) is horrible at grabbing on to rocks and things and holding on tight. With those ribs that are bent into it, it's not a slider at all, it's just protection, that's it. Even if it's no higher up than stock, smoother is better
Unread 10-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #855
Xjman1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So I installed the UFC UHC skid on my '01. Even with a 1.25" BL and 1" MM lift and stock MM's the fan still hit the lower half of the shroud. I changed out the mounts and installed Brown Dog Mounts and the fan now clears by about 1/4". Any one else run into this issue? I am worried about when the drive train flexes it may hit.
My options I see so far would be to lower the shroud, trim the shroud or place a small spacer under the 1" MM lift to gain me another 1/4" or so.
It seems that on the '01 with the stock transmission mount and UHC skid the transmission may now be higher than the engine.
Xjman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.