So you want a Tummy Tuck... - Page 56 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So you want a Tummy Tuck...

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 09-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #826
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
Thanks Bio...

Can someone elaborate on the difference between a standard SYE and a SS SYE? Short shaft? Huh?

(It sucks being stupid!)
A little research goes a long way......

http://www.jbconversions.com/

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #827
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Bio...

Can someone elaborate on the difference between a standard SYE and a SS SYE? Short shaft? Huh?

(It sucks being stupid!)
Difference is about 3".

Once I swap in the 4" springs that are sitting in my living room those combined with the 3"+ from my Savvy UA and the complication of the LP third member in my 9" means my rear driveline is seeing a lot more than your average lift. That 3" from the SSYE plus some extra grinding/trimming on my yokes and CV joint by Tom Wood will hopefully be enough to keep my rear driveline from binding when rear axle sags.
Unread 09-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #828
saxart
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quick question...

If I go with an SS SYE now and end up doing a D44 or an 8.8 axle upgrade later, will the new driveshaft be good with the replacement axle, or should I think about doing the whole works at once?

'99 Wrangler Sport: 2.5" Old Man Emo lift and shocks, adjustable trackbars, Quick-Disko sway links, rollin on 31" BFG A/Ts
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #829
j33p4l1fe4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart
Quick question...

If I go with an SS SYE now and end up doing a D44 or an 8.8 axle upgrade later, will the new driveshaft be good with the replacement axle, or should I think about doing the whole works at once?
Ya it will work later on...
Unread 09-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #830
serotina
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Hey, guys.

I've been saving up for my own LJ tummy tuck and mods (as is obvious from my earlier posts).. and came across this contest to win gear: https://www.facebook.com/poisonspyder. This may seem spammy or goofy to you, but if any of you have already "Liked" Poison Spyder Customs on Facebook and would be willing to vote for me tonight or tomorrow morning, I would be grateful. I was hoping to get in the top-10 and nab a diff cover (I'm #11): Gioia Mia (Medic Barbi). I'm trying to outfit my 4-banger into a wilderness medic jeep.
gigi-war-jeep.jpg  
Unread 09-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #831
Xjman1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

test fit my ultra high clearance skid today and even with a 1" lift and 1.25" BL a sye is still needed. Driveshaft angle was pretty mean, the protective boot even pulled off its mount. My TC would not go into 4 low as well. Needless to say the old skid went back on.
I have everything ready to go just need to order a DS to do it right. I did discover a transmission output seal leak though, so I get to fix that as well when TC comes out.

Just figured these notes may help someone with similar set up wondering obstacle. I must admit it did look good under there.
Xjman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #832
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjman1 View Post
test fit my ultra high clearance skid today and even with a 1" lift and 1.25" BL a sye is still needed. Driveshaft angle was pretty mean, the protective boot even pulled off its mount. My TC would not go into 4 low as well. Needless to say the old skid went back on.
I have everything ready to go just need to order a DS to do it right. I did discover a transmission output seal leak though, so I get to fix that as well when TC comes out.

Just figured these notes may help someone with similar set up wondering obstacle. I must admit it did look good under there.
Those of us say things like "regardless of coil height, a SYE needs to be on the list" and "the stock linkage will be half-*** at best" aren't just pulling that stuff out of thin air......

Minimizing the drive shaft angle is always ideal. Look into adding the LoPro mount.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #833
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Let the record show that I ran a Tcase drop between the frame and TT skid temporarily until I could do it right. I just wanted a flat surface under there instead of the shovel. something to think about.
Unread 09-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #834
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I did the same thing as misfit until i received my cv shaft and sye
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #835
Xjman1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped

Those of us say things like "regardless of coil height, a SYE needs to be on the list" and "the stock linkage will be half-*** at best" aren't just pulling that stuff out of thin air......

Minimizing the drive shaft angle is always ideal. Look into adding the LoPro mount.
Had driveshaft planned as soon as jeep was bought. Lifted or not i hate the stock shaft set up. I knew already the shaft would be an issue but buddy wanted to try it while my Jeep was in his shop. Hell rack and tools where there so i was not going to say no. It only took around 15 minutes.
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #836
Xjman1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven
Let the record show that I ran a Tcase drop between the frame and TT skid temporarily until I could do it right. I just wanted a flat surface under there instead of the shovel. something to think about.
I thought about it too, but i have everything already, just did not have it at the shop at the moment. Next day off we will getr done.
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #837
Xjman1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah no lopro mount for the auto in my year. May look into what it will take to make one with a buddy of mine. He has plasma and a very nice welder anything is possible.
Unread 09-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #838
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here is my Lo Pro Mount and UCF Skid for my 03, manual. UCF makes some real nice stuff. I did not have to do any tub clearancing. I added a 1" MML and 1" BL prior. The only thing I had to change after was the 4WD linkage was biding. So I upgraded to the Novak Cable Shifter and couldn't be happier. The skid is UnderCover Fabworks Extra-Clearance Carbon Steel 3/16" Skid Plate.
img_0555.jpg   img_0509.jpg   img_0423.jpg   img_0471.jpg   img_0490.jpg  

2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #839
saxart
1999 TJ Wrangler 

2003X
Which UFC model skid is that?

'99 Wrangler Sport: 2.5" Old Man Emo lift and shocks, adjustable trackbars, Quick-Disko sway links, rollin on 31" BFG A/Ts
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #840
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
2003X
Which UFC model skid is that?
UnderCover Fabworks Extra-Clearance Carbon Steel 3/16" Skid Plate.
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.