So you want a Tummy Tuck... - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So you want a Tummy Tuck...

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 08-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #781
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had a few questions on a Tummy Tuck Iíve been wanting to do for a while now. I've got most of the bases covered, already have a rear CV shaft etc.

I obtained one of the old Jeep Medic skids locally from a friend and cleaned it up and painted it. Itís been sitting for a while now because I wanted to do it as part of some suspension modifications. Now that Iím getting very close to that point, I was wondering what exactly is involved with putting a high clearance skid on without doing a BL/MML. I have the body and motor mount lift sitting here, I would just like to put the skid on without installing them if possible.

I know that you may have to possibly clearance the tub depending on the skid. The Jeep Medic skid as far as I know isnít necessarily as high clearance as the highest UCF, but it is still far higher than the factory skid. I donít have a problem with clearancing the tub since you most likely will never see where it has been clearanced. But, I was wondering are we talking a few dimples here and there, or beating the tub to death with a hammer in quite a ways?

Another concern I have, is that my rocker guards sandwich between the body mounts, and with the way the JKS body lift installs Iím thinking it might move my rocker guards and require me to re-drill the mounting holes on the side of the tub.

It would be great to hear from someone who installed a Jeep Medic skid or has one just to get an idea of how high it really stuffs the transfer case up there. From my understand Iíll need at least a quarter of an inch between any transfer case surface and the tub.

Unread 08-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #782
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You need the body lift mounts from Gen-Right.
Unread 08-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #783
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleNEO View Post
I had a few questions on a Tummy Tuck Iíve been wanting to do for a while now. I've got most of the bases covered, already have a rear CV shaft etc.

I obtained one of the old Jeep Medic skids locally from a friend and cleaned it up and painted it. Itís been sitting for a while now because I wanted to do it as part of some suspension modifications. Now that Iím getting very close to that point, I was wondering what exactly is involved with putting a high clearance skid on without doing a BL/MML. I have the body and motor mount lift sitting here, I would just like to put the skid on without installing them if possible.

I know that you may have to possibly clearance the tub depending on the skid. The Jeep Medic skid as far as I know isnít necessarily as high clearance as the highest UCF, but it is still far higher than the factory skid. I donít have a problem with clearancing the tub since you most likely will never see where it has been clearanced. But, I was wondering are we talking a few dimples here and there, or beating the tub to death with a hammer in quite a ways?

Another concern I have, is that my rocker guards sandwich between the body mounts, and with the way the JKS body lift installs Iím thinking it might move my rocker guards and require me to re-drill the mounting holes on the side of the tub.

It would be great to hear from someone who installed a Jeep Medic skid or has one just to get an idea of how high it really stuffs the transfer case up there. From my understand Iíll need at least a quarter of an inch between any transfer case surface and the tub.

I haven't had any experience with Jeep Medic skids, but if you do some measuring you might be able to get a ruff idea of where your transfer case will end up at under the jeep.

I have an AEV skid, which does not need a body lift to install. A big part of the reason why a body lift is not needed is the low profile transmission mount.

AEV and UCF both have low profile mounts, it basically raises the skid without having to raise the transmission/transfer case as much as it would with the factory mount.

I'm sure either would work, you just might have to modify the skid plate, or maybe it will just work.

As far as modifying the tub, it's different with every skid and every transmission, usually it's just a little bit. AEV ships there skids with a piece of pipe cut in half so you can place it between the transmission and tub and jack the transmission up into the tub until it dimples the tub. I did not have to do this with a 32rh 3 speed auto trans. My cat did come in contact with the skid, they had 2 models, a round one and an oval one, I ended up getting rid of my 3rd cat, some people replaced there's with the more oval model.

Hope that points you in the right direction.
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #784
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
You need the body lift mounts from Gen-Right.
You mean the actual weld on mounts that move the entire body mount up on the frame? Crap. So there is not normal puck style body lift out there that would work with my rocker guards? Maybe I could put them on top of the lift pucks? Man, that's kind of disheartening news, I wasn't looking to get into that much work.
Unread 08-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #785
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

TroubleNEO - I made my 1.5" body mounts on the chop saw out of the cheap 3" ones you can get from Summit.
If your 3 along each side need to be a slightly different length than the other 5, to accomodate your rockers, just get some 3" ones and cut them down:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRA-MB03/
Just be careful to clamp them in nice and tight before you try cutting them.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #786
Spladow
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
Yeah, no vibes, for now.

14" at the belly (no lift & 32" tires). almost 3" higher & over 20lbs. less than the stock skid.
only other thing was modifying the 4x4 shifter cause it was a little wacked.

So how did it turn out? I also have a 98 TJ SE ( completely stock with 31's ). I'm thinking about doing a 1.25" BL, 1" MML and UCF UHC skid system. Did you need SYE / Shaft and rear adj. upper CA's?
Spladow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #787
the59sound
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce
Yeah, no vibes, for now.

14" at the belly (no lift & 32" tires). almost 3" higher & over 20lbs. less than the stock skid.
only other thing was modifying the 4x4 shifter cause it was a little wacked.
What all did you do to make that happen?
Gulf Coast Jeep Club Member #3
Confidence is the feeling you have before you truly understand the situation.
the59sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #788
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the59sound View Post
What all did you do to make that happen?
x2
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #789
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

2.5L, 5 speed.
1" brown dog mounts, 1.5" body lift, UCF ultra high clearance skid
Stock suspension (springs, shocks, & all 8 arms), no lift, no SYE.
The 4WD shifter moved in relation to the bracket it sits in, so the 'catch' where it goes into 4LO isn't in the right spot. 4" cutoff wheel until it worked right.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #790
Spladow
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
2.5L, 5 speed.
1" brown dog mounts, 1.5" body lift, UCF ultra high clearance skid
Stock suspension (springs, shocks, & all 8 arms), no lift, no SYE.
The 4WD shifter moved in relation to the bracket it sits in, so the 'catch' where it goes into 4LO isn't in the right spot. 4" cutoff wheel until it worked right.
man thats awesome, i cant afford a lift right now, and don't really need one for my current wheeling i do, but getting everything up and armored and flat would be awesome. You have inspired me to go this route and then when the time comes for lift, i'll be ahead and tucked. Thank you for your info and help

i understand that every Jeep is different, and if i do receive vibes then SYE, Shaft, and rear adj. upper CA's will be a must. Fingers crossed though haha.
Unread 08-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #791
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spladow View Post
man thats awesome, i cant afford a lift right now, and don't really need one for my current wheeling i do, but getting everything up and armored and flat would be awesome. You have inspired me to go this route and then when the time comes for lift, i'll be ahead and tucked. Thank you for your info and help

i understand that every Jeep is different, and if i do receive vibes then SYE, Shaft, and rear adj. upper CA's will be a must. Fingers crossed though haha.
Or if there very light vibs you can cheat the skid down with washers until the vibs go away.

The AEV tummy tuck does not require a body lift or motor mount lift, so if you had a stock jeep and installed only the AEV tummy tuck you would need nothing else.

UCF most likely has something similar with the use of there Low profile mount.
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
Unread 08-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #792
Spladow
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emev0l View Post
Or if there very light vibs you can cheat the skid down with washers until the vibs go away.

The AEV tummy tuck does not require a body lift or motor mount lift, so if you had a stock jeep and installed only the AEV tummy tuck you would need nothing else.

UCF most likely has something similar with the use of there Low profile mount.
Awesome info, thank you . I'm in the process of research, research, research, lots of options.
Unread 08-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #793
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spladow View Post
Awesome info, thank you . I'm in the process of research, research, research, lots of options.
That's the best way to go, seriously read this thread from start to finish, take your time do it over a week, you'll get a lot of info out of it.

The best way to do it is to figure out where you wanna be in the end and don't make any modifications that you will have to remove later. It sucks buying things twice.
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
Unread 09-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #794
RubiconChris
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So recently I installed a UCF ultra hi t-case skid and need to address some issues. My shock are dam near the coil buckets so should I notch the bucket or relocate shock location? And my rear trac bar is bound because of the rear upper control arms being adjusted for the proper pinion angle. So can I modify my drop down bracket I have by heating and bending it? I`m kind of tapped out after all the upgrades so not looking to spend alot right now. Thanks
35 inch MTR Kevs, Clayton short arms, Bilstein 5100`s, Currie 4" springs, UCF ultra hi clearance skid, UCF Lo pro tranny mount, Brown Dog MML, RC 1.25 BL, Rustys steering, Warn 9.5i, Rugged Ridge rock bumpers, Bestop tire carrier, Tatton rear driveshaft, Ten factory front and rear alloy`s, Synergy ball joints, Currie front trac bar, JKS discos
RubiconChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #795
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconChris
So recently I installed a UCF ultra hi t-case skid and need to address some issues. My shock are dam near the coil buckets so should I notch the bucket or relocate shock location? And my rear trac bar is bound because of the rear upper control arms being adjusted for the proper pinion angle. So can I modify my drop down bracket I have by heating and bending it? I`m kind of tapped out after all the upgrades so not looking to spend alot right now. Thanks
Grind down the back of spring buckets. Might be able to modify bracket but a new angled one shouldn't be that expensive.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.