So you want a Tummy Tuck... - Page 52 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So you want a Tummy Tuck...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #766
Ef4life
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKing
After searching through about 15 random pages here i am at a loss in finding the the results to my question, apologies if im beating a dead horse. Kindly redirect me to a previously written solution if so.

I am currently wheeling on stock suspension right now and will not be doing a lift for at least another year. My question is what would be the neccesities to accomplish a TT while knowing a 3-4" lift is in store in the future? From what i've read a MML, SYE, nor CV shaft is needed at stock hieght. Would the BL and Skid plate be all i need at the moment and then once the lift comes accompanied by a CV and SYE should i go for the MML? Am i missing anything else?
Is it possible? Or should i just wait untill i lift to do a TT?

Sincerely, Clueless in Afghanistan
Depends on the skid plate. I run an nth degree tummy tuck on a stock jeep. No adjustable arms, no slip yoke eliminator, no body lift needed. No cutting or welding or tub modifications. It's bolt on and go if your stock. Best mod you could ever do for a stock rig imo

Ef4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #767
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

i know im new and stuff but from what little bit i know it seems that wouldnt provide any clearance, am i wrong?

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #768
Ef4life
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKing
i know im new and stuff but from what little bit i know it seems that wouldnt provide any clearance, am i wrong?
3" more than the stock tcase skid. You won't high center nearly as much.
Unread 06-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #769
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

interesting, i'll definatly look into this. any pics?

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #770
pmcjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ef4life

Depends on the skid plate. I run an nth degree tummy tuck on a stock jeep. No adjustable arms, no slip yoke eliminator, no body lift needed. No cutting or welding or tub modifications. It's bolt on and go if your stock. Best mod you could ever do for a stock rig imo
Im kinda new to these as well. How are you able to run like that with no vibes? I have been lookn into different tt and am curious on this.
Unread 06-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #771
Ef4life
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcjeep

Im kinda new to these as well. How are you able to run like that with no vibes? I have been lookn into different tt and am curious on this.
If you have no lift, pushing up the trans and tcase 2-3" with a tummy tuck is not nessesarily going to give you vibrations, since most tj guys are running 4" lift with a tcase drop of 1" you moved the output up 3" it's about the same.. Now I'm running a 4 cylinder so you guys with a 4.0 might be a little different. But getting a set of either upper or lower adjustable arms could cure some vibrations if you have any.
Unread 06-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #772
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKing View Post
After searching through about 15 random pages here i am at a loss in finding the the results to my question, apologies if im beating a dead horse. Kindly redirect me to a previously written solution if so.

I am currently wheeling on stock suspension right now and will not be doing a lift for at least another year. My question is what would be the neccesities to accomplish a TT while knowing a 3-4" lift is in store in the future? From what i've read a MML, SYE, nor CV shaft is needed at stock hieght. Would the BL and Skid plate be all i need at the moment and then once the lift comes accompanied by a CV and SYE should i go for the MML? Am i missing anything else?
Is it possible? Or should i just wait untill i lift to do a TT?

Sincerely, Clueless in Afghanistan
I tried on my Rubi with a UCF Original extra clearance skid and their LoPro trans mount; and I still ran into vibes. (Stock suspension, MML and BL).

Ended up adding Currie upper adjustables and Tom Woods CV. I did notice an improvement after adding just the arms and dialing in my pinion angle perfectly parallel (before the drive shaft arrived).
Unread 07-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #773
DeadManWalking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcastino View Post
I have this skid in the 1/4" variety. You can get it in 3/16" for $170 or 1/4" for $220. I'm happy with it so far, although I haven't it offroad yet as I have only had it a week. I didn't need to modify the exhaust or anything and you gain 2" or so over the stock skid (at least I did). The welds were kind of ugly, but it seemed like there was plenty of penetration, just not pretty and really who cares what the welds on the skid LOOK like anyway . I say its a hell of a value for 220 bones.
Be careful with ugly welds, sounds like a manufactures quality control problem and in general if the welds are ugly that are not as strong. If you dont weld I'd be tempted to have someone clean them up and reweld the worst. Ain't nothing worse than to break something miles from a welder and have to ride the hook home.
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #774
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

finally got around to taking pictures of my completed TT.

Before the TT

crossmember in (no skids)

skids finished

got on an RTI ramp to check clearances.
rti-1.jpg   rti-4.jpg  

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #775
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadManWalking View Post
Be careful with ugly welds, sounds like a manufactures quality control problem and in general if the welds are ugly that are not as strong. If you dont weld I'd be tempted to have someone clean them up and reweld the worst. Ain't nothing worse than to break something miles from a welder and have to ride the hook home.
That was 2.5 years ago.....

He sold his Jeep last month and the skid was just fine. I installed that skid, the welds were fine.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #776
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

'98 2.5L, 1" brown dog mounts, 1.5" body lift, UCF ultra high clearance skid. Stock suspension.
All I have left to do tomorrow is the skid, but, will I need an SYE, or you guys think it will be good to go?
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #777
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
'98 2.5L, 1" brown dog mounts, 1.5" body lift, UCF ultra high clearance skid. Stock suspension.
All I have left to do tomorrow is the skid, but, will I need an SYE, or you guys think it will be good to go?

With the "Ultra High" skid I think you'll get vibes. I had the "Extra Clearance" and I was at (for me over) the limit with what I could get away with. See how your four banger handles it (might be better). If it's close you might just get away with some adjustable rear upper control arms and be able to adjust your pinion angle. If not, you'll need the arms anyway for a CV shaft.
Unread 08-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #778
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, no vibes, for now.

14" at the belly (no lift & 32" tires). almost 3" higher & over 20lbs. less than the stock skid.
only other thing was modifying the 4x4 shifter cause it was a little wacked.

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #779
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the lowest profile UCF aluminum skid on mine now, I'm so happy to get that low hanging factory skid out from under there, and also to get a skid for the engine oil pan! (only the transfer case skid is on in this photo).

Hangs down about 1 inch or so from the frame. Would be nice if it were completely flat, but I don't think that 241 tcase is going up much higher without some custom work, it's stuffed up in there pretty good, haha! I'm quite happy with it though Had it out on the rocks twice now, the extra 4" or so of clearance is quite noticable! And when it does hit, it slides quite easy.

Now time to do something with those body mounts.... the middle ones in particular are starting to fold over, haha

Unread 08-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #780
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

So many of you have asked for a modular Under Armor kit so the entry point would be a lot less. Well, here it is. These are spy photos. No pricing or availability yet, should be 3-4 weeks before I can get pricing but it will be very competitive. SO DON'T ASK YET!

We will now be selling them by kits.

1. Transmission Cross Member - Allows Jeep to be driven with the skids off
2. Aluminum Transfer Case Center Skid with steel cross brace
3. Transmission and Engine aluminum Skid with steel front brace

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.