So you want a Tummy Tuck... - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So you want a Tummy Tuck...

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #751
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Shouldn't be any problem installing the Novak shifter before the TT; it's what I ended up doing to save time with the UA.

geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #752
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

On my local forum a few months back a member was asking about buy an aluminum skid and everyone said stay away from it. They said an aluminum skid is like Velcro on rocks and it won’t slide it will hang you up. Is there that big a different between aluminum and steel for a skid plate?
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #753
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
On my local forum a few months back a member was asking about buy an aluminum skid and everyone said stay away from it. They said an aluminum skid is like Velcro on rocks and it won’t slide it will hang you up. Is there that big a different between aluminum and steel for a skid plate?
Look around here a bit and you'll see that isn't the case. I was on my aluminum belly skid a good bit this weekend, and I was able to slide off of it each time with a little work instead of just being high centered. If I had been on my not-flat stock steel skid, I would have been stuck.

I've yet to be in a situation where I couldn't slide across my aluminum skids. And considering that the guys who pretty much started the aluminum fad do nothing but play in the rocks, I'd say it works just fine when the proper type is used.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #754
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
THINK about this.....

Do you really think someone like Blaine, who exclusively plays in some of the gnarliest rocks in the world, would choose aluminum over steel if it provided any real disadvantage over steel? The alloy used in the skid will not gouge anymore than a comparable steel skid when put in the same scenario.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #755
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I sprayed mine down with Pam.. nothing sticks to it now, and it always smells like breakfast!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #756
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Put the MTRs on, mysterious coincidental DW is gone. I have something smacking the tunnel when i accelerate. Pretty sure its my.cobbled up transfer case linkage. Just ordered cable shifter from Gerald. Hope it gets here quick wanna get it together on monday. I also need to check the transmission vent tube. Think i might of pinched that, dont know what it is but something else is rattling under there near the transmission Having exhaust tweaked on tuesday.
Yellow Jeep Club Member [FONT="Century Gothic"]#196[/FONT]
polo196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #757
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

almost there....
jeep-crossmember8.jpg   jeep-crossmember9.jpg   jeep-crossmember7.jpg   jeep-crossmember10.jpg  

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #758
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
almost there....
nice work. I like it
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #759
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Continuing saga of novice tummy tuck install:
I put a Novak on yesterdY and took transmount off the cut an inch out of cat support, dropping it away from the body. Still have that metal to metal scratching when i hit a bump. Tracked it down to the top of the trans where it exits the tunnel to engine compartment. Looking at getting lopro mount or taking 1/4 inch spacers out from under mml. I dont know if i need the spacers but they came with mml so i stuck them on there. Tried to call UCF this am and got voicemail again.
Unread 06-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #760
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just as i suspected the transmission has a reinforcing ridge that runs along the top and parallel to the trans. This Area was barely contacting the tub. If u look down the back of the motor it will be just to the passenger side of center. Its hard to see but its there. I took the 1/4 inch spacers out of my mml and lowered the engine. I then had to do some cutting on the bottom of the fan shroud. It all works fine now.
Unread 06-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #761
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

After searching through about 15 random pages here i am at a loss in finding the the results to my question, apologies if im beating a dead horse. Kindly redirect me to a previously written solution if so.

I am currently wheeling on stock suspension right now and will not be doing a lift for at least another year. My question is what would be the neccesities to accomplish a TT while knowing a 3-4" lift is in store in the future? From what i've read a MML, SYE, nor CV shaft is needed at stock hieght. Would the BL and Skid plate be all i need at the moment and then once the lift comes accompanied by a CV and SYE should i go for the MML? Am i missing anything else?
Is it possible? Or should i just wait untill i lift to do a TT?

Sincerely, Clueless in Afghanistan

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 01:01 AM   #762
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKing View Post
After searching through about 15 random pages here i am at a loss in finding the the results to my question, apologies if im beating a dead horse. Kindly redirect me to a previously written solution if so.

I am currently wheeling on stock suspension right now and will not be doing a lift for at least another year. My question is what would be the neccesities to accomplish a TT while knowing a 3-4" lift is in store in the future? From what i've read a MML, SYE, nor CV shaft is needed at stock hieght. Would the BL and Skid plate be all i need at the moment and then once the lift comes accompanied by a CV and SYE should i go for the MML? Am i missing anything else?
Is it possible? Or should i just wait untill i lift to do a TT?

Sincerely, Clueless in Afghanistan
To tummy tuck with no suspension lift at all I would think that a body lift and motor mount lift would be minimum, and maybe a set of upper or lower adjustable control arms for the rear to adjust the pinion angle.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 06-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #763
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
To tummy tuck with no suspension lift at all I would think that a body lift and motor mount lift would be minimum, and maybe a set of upper or lower adjustable control arms for the rear to adjust the pinion angle.
Appreciate the response but i am still very new to jeeps and follow that answer with another question...
Are there adjustable control arms that could be used while stock and lifted? Or am i going to have to replace those once i lift with longer control arms?

SEMPER FI
Unread 06-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #764
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKing View Post
Appreciate the response but i am still very new to jeeps and follow that answer with another question...
Are there adjustable control arms that could be used while stock and lifted? Or am i going to have to replace those once i lift with longer control arms?
That's a hard question that I'm not sure I can answer correcty, but I'll try taking a stab at it, and if I'm wrong hopefully someone else will jump in and correct me.

Just looking at it from the pinion angle side and needing to make a slight correction for the 3" of lift the transfercase output shaft will see, minus the little bit of downward angle that you'll gain back from the MML, I would guestimate the pinion to be aabout 8 degrees off of where it should be. If you got adjustable uppers they would need to be able to become shorter than stock to rotate the pinion downwards since you don't plan on running a SYE/CV driveshaft right away. I'm not sure if there are any adjustable control arms that allow you to go shorter than stock though. If you go with adjustable lowers, you should be OK because you would be adjusting them to be longer than stock to drop the pinion angle.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 06-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #765
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

interesting, im starting to understand now but i have the same question along a different road. what if i went with the sye and cv, would i need a long cv after i lift?

SEMPER FI

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.