So you want a Tummy Tuck... - Page 49 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So you want a Tummy Tuck...

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 06-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #721
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Is a SS sye mandatory for all tummy tucks?
Nope...

Unread 06-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #722
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Nope...
which ones is it required for then?
clg82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #723
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
which ones is it required for then?
I don't know, mine doesn't require one...
Unread 06-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #724
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
I don't know, mine doesn't require one...
which one are you currently running?
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #725
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Is a SS sye mandatory for all tummy tucks?
You're asking the wrong question. The necessity is a function of droop, drive shaft length, and static drive shaft angle. Simply put, if your CV binds at or before full droop, you've got the potential for issues. Whenever you tuck the drivetrain, a top goal needs to be maximum clearance gain with minimal vertical drivetrain change in order to keep the drive shaft as shallow as possible. This is a scenario of logic, not one of "which tummy tuck do you have."
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #726
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
You're asking the wrong question. The necessity is a function of droop, drive shaft length, and static drive shaft angle. Simply put, if your CV binds at or before full droop, you've got the potential for issues. Whenever you tuck the drivetrain, a top goal needs to be maximum clearance gain with minimal vertical drivetrain change in order to keep the drive shaft as shallow as possible. This is a scenario of logic, not one of "which tummy tuck do you have."
so when I do my TT, I need to buy a standard SYE, with CV driveshaft...and then if i bind from that setup, I need to turn around and buy another one that works better?
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #727
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
so when I do my TT, I need to buy a standard SYE, with CV driveshaft...and then if i bind from that setup, I need to turn around and buy another one that works better?
Of course not, where at all did you see me say that? You need to determine that before-hand. You're on 4" springs with a SWB TJ. Get the SS housing.
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #728
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped View Post
of course not, where at all did you see me say that? You need to determine that before-hand. You're on 4" springs with a swb tj. Get the ss housing.
swb?
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #729
ActionJackson
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Short wheel base. Pretty much stock height or lifted with factory arms. Compared to one with a stretch or lj/unlimited.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #519
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #730
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
which one are you currently running?
tf...
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #731
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Aww jeez, just spent 8 hours trying to get my ucf skid on. First problem was i had to remove the transfer case shift linkage i put on with the lift. I got that off and jacked the skid up and the TC linkage was in a bind. Tried to call ucf but got voicemail and no call back So i pulled it off and welded a tab to the bottom, then drilled a hole lowering the pivot point. This worked out well and the TC shifts like its suppose to. I modded my skid row oil skid and bolted it up to the ucf. Then adjusted rear uppers and lowers. I started with a Ds angle of 18, no vibes. It was now 25. So i adjusted it down to 22 at ds and 20 at pinion. Two degrees difference is what i had read so i thought i would be ok. But now i have vibes and terrrible Dw. I parked it and started crackin beers. BTW I did nothing to the exhaust yet. It is snug. Also the steering feels kinda strange when I turn to the left.
Yellow Jeep Club Member [FONT="Century Gothic"]#196[/FONT]
polo196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #732
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo196 View Post
Aww jeez, just spent 8 hours trying to get my ucf skid on. First problem was i had to remove the transfer case shift linkage i put on with the lift. I got that off and jacked the skid up and the TC linkage was in a bind. Tried to call ucf but got voicemail and no call back So i pulled it off and welded a tab to the bottom, then drilled a hole lowering the pivot point. This worked out well and the TC shifts like its suppose to. I modded my skid row oil skid and bolted it up to the ucf. Then adjusted rear uppers and lowers. I started with a Ds angle of 18, no vibes. It was now 25. So i adjusted it down to 22 at ds and 20 at pinion. Two degrees difference is what i had read so i thought i would be ok. But now i have vibes and terrrible Dw. I parked it and started crackin beers. BTW I did nothing to the exhaust yet. It is snug. Also the steering feels kinda strange when I turn to the left.
Make sure that you're actually in 2wd. When I put my TT on I didn't get the shifter lined up right and it showed I was in 2wd when I was actually in 4wd. I had some really bad steering until I figured it out.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #733
RubiconChris
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo196 View Post
Please keep updating your progress. I`m planning on running the same UCF skid and I`m nervous as hell that I`m going to cause more bad than good. I have a 1 1/4 body lift, mml and adjustable Clayton arms. Do I need/want the lo pro tranny mount? I still need to get a rear driveshaft. Was thinking of getting a Tatton shaft. And I guess I`m gonna need a cable shifter. Then I was going to try to use my Warn oil pan skid to work with the UCF skid. Any input is much appreciated. I`m running a 05 Rubicon 6 spd with a 4in suspension lift.
35 inch MTR Kevs, Clayton short arms, Bilstein 5100`s, Currie 4" springs, UCF ultra hi clearance skid, UCF Lo pro tranny mount, Brown Dog MML, RC 1.25 BL, Rustys steering, Warn 9.5i, Rugged Ridge rock bumpers, Bestop tire carrier, Tatton rear driveshaft, Ten factory front and rear alloy`s, Synergy ball joints, Currie front trac bar, JKS discos
RubiconChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #734
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconChris View Post
Please keep updating your progress. I`m planning on running the same UCF skid and I`m nervous as hell that I`m going to cause more bad than good. I have a 1 1/4 body lift, mml and adjustable Clayton arms. Do I need/want the lo pro tranny mount? I still need to get a rear driveshaft. Was thinking of getting a Tatton shaft. And I guess I`m gonna need a cable shifter. Then I was going to try to use my Warn oil pan skid to work with the UCF skid. Any input is much appreciated. I`m running a 05 Rubicon 6 spd with a 4in suspension lift.
Yes, please do keep us updated. I'm going to be putting a set of second hand Jeep Medic skids on here soon and I'd like to avoid making my Jeep drive worse.

I have a Tom Woods rear shaft that's only a few days old, and a cable shifter. I hope I don't get the skids on and immediately have vibration issues if I get the pinion angle dialed in right.
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #735
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You'll only have issues if you don't know how to avoid them. Get under your Jeep, use your eyes and brain, and make the necessary adjustments and/or purchases. You can read this thread all day long but unless you actually understand what's changing when you raise the drivetrain up, you're wasting your time.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.