So you want a Tummy Tuck... - Page 45 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So you want a Tummy Tuck...

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Reply
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #661
bbusch
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Incline Village, NV
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post

What was the genius/thought behind that Nth tummy tuck? How did they get it so flat? And why aren't they still available?

When Jim started Nth Degree he made 5-10 units (he can't remember) very limited run of these skids but the interest was not there to justify the option vs the 1.25 drop version. His lift was not available back in Jan 2004 so I scooped up this unit because he was sure he would not be making anymore. Install is more extensive so the idea was dropped after a few were made.

__________________
03 Black Rubicon

My Rig

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1072569/
bbusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #662
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?
 
Necromancer_tat's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 5,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post

What was the genius/thought behind that Nth tummy tuck? How did they get it so flat? And why aren't they still available?
They're now owned by AEV... AEV has some really nice products, but they're 2-3 times more expensive than many other kits, and I personally feel like the Currie/Savvy/Rokmen/Clayton lift kits are a better price vs. value option. I don't have any experience with the AEV/9th set up though.
__________________
TJ: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...0/index14.html

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #663
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post

What was the genius/thought behind that Nth tummy tuck? How did they get it so flat? And why aren't they still available?
LOL, nothing genius about a flat skid. Pretty easy, actually. That Nth skid is definitely cool. Very rare.

__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #664
TJRHD
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Eastern, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,612
This tummy tuck stuff is starting to wear on my mind, my knuckles and my pocketbook. almost there
__________________
NOT A HATER
TJRHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #665
boilerup1998
Member
 
boilerup1998's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan

What was the genius/thought behind that Nth tummy tuck? How did they get it so flat? And why aren't they still available?
The Savvy UA is just as flat and much easier to work with. I tried to acquire all of the parts to do the AEV/Nth skid and it wasn't possible. If you can find them, total cost would probably be over $1500....bottom line is, just go with the Savvy UA and you'll be happy.
boilerup1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #666
26679cj5
Web Wheeler
 
26679cj5's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Posts: 1,115
I'm looking to do a tummy tuck in the next couple of weeks. I'm only going to be running the H&R 1" suspension lift, so hopefully my mods won't have to be as extensive as some of the ones in this thread. I already have the body lift, cv driveshaft,and slipyoke eliminator. I need to order my skid, motor mount lift, and adjustable control arms.

Anyone know what the most likely problem I would run into would be? I'm thinking possible altering of the stock exhaust hanger? I have an automatic btw.
26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #667
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?
 
Necromancer_tat's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 5,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRHD View Post
This tummy tuck stuff is starting to wear on my mind, my knuckles and my pocketbook. almost there
Hurry up already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerup1998 View Post
The Savvy UA is just as flat and much easier to work with. I tried to acquire all of the parts to do the AEV/Nth skid and it wasn't possible. If you can find them, total cost would probably be over $1500....bottom line is, just go with the Savvy UA and you'll be happy.
I purchased the UCF UHC under armor. It's not as fancy as the Savvy gear, but it's cheaper, just as light, and just as strong. The compromise is that the Savvy armor is easier to work with when maintenence is needed... If I had more money to spend I would've went with the Savvy under armor, but I have a limited budget so I have to make compromises here and there...
__________________
TJ: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...0/index14.html

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #668
jeepinhokie
built not bought
 
jeepinhokie's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MD, Maryland
Posts: 2,299
has anyone found replacement rear shock mounts that will position the shocks the same distance from the axle tube. essentially just replacements for the OEM mounts.

i know about the currie shock extenders but would prefer to weld an OEM style back into the proper position after the pinion angle is raised.

something like this from ruffstuff but longer
__________________
HOKIES UNITED!

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #669
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?
 
Necromancer_tat's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 5,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
has anyone found replacement rear shock mounts that will position the shocks the same distance from the axle tube. essentially just replacements for the OEM mounts.

i know about the currie shock extenders but would prefer to weld an OEM style back into the proper position after the pinion angle is raised.

something like this from ruffstuff but longer
A friend of mine and myself made long shock mounts for my Jeep out of 1/4" wall, 2" box tubing. It took us about 2 hours all together including cutting the factory mounts off, smoothing the axle tubes, fabricating the new mounts with a 4" grinder and some cutting disks.
__________________
TJ: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...0/index14.html

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #670
jeepinhokie
built not bought
 
jeepinhokie's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MD, Maryland
Posts: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
A friend of mine and myself made long shock mounts for my Jeep out of 1/4" wall, 2" box tubing. It took us about 2 hours all together including cutting the factory mounts off, smoothing the axle tubes, fabricating the new mounts with a 4" grinder and some cutting disks.
wouldnt that leave 1/4" slop inside the shock mount?

2x2x1/4 would have in ID (for lack of a better term) of 1.5, arent TJ shocks 1.25?

but i think i get how you did that.
__________________
HOKIES UNITED!

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #671
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?
 
Necromancer_tat's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 5,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
wouldnt that leave 1/4" slop inside the shock mount?

2x2x1/4 would have in ID (for lack of a better term) of 1.5, arent TJ shocks 1.25?

but i think i get how you did that.
We cut one side of the tubing out at the bottom of the mount, I'm not sure how wide the bushings are on shocks, they slid in nice and neatly, and then we tightened everything up. They aren't loose in the mounts, so I'm not sure. It's raining outside right now or I'd take a few pictures for you.
__________________
TJ: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...0/index14.html

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #672
jeepinhokie
built not bought
 
jeepinhokie's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MD, Maryland
Posts: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
We cut one side of the tubing out at the bottom of the mount, I'm not sure how wide the bushings are on shocks, they slid in nice and neatly, and then we tightened everything up. They aren't loose in the mounts, so I'm not sure. It's raining outside right now or I'd take a few pictures for you.
i'm probably just over thinking it. but pictures are always welcome. no rush...
__________________
HOKIES UNITED!

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #673
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?
 
Necromancer_tat's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 5,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
i'm probably just over thinking it. but pictures are always welcome. no rush...
Before:



After:



Before:



After:



Then I gained a bit more up travel after I installed my tummy tuck, but I don't have pics at the moment.
__________________
TJ: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...0/index14.html

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #674
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?
 
Necromancer_tat's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 5,071
And the square tubing is prolly 1.75" square tubing 1/4" wall now that I look at it again.
__________________
TJ: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...0/index14.html

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #675
boilerup1998
Member
 
boilerup1998's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 493
Necro, not sure why your shocks were so compressed originally. Here's what mine look like with no mods to shock mounts.


image-2088454688.jpg
boilerup1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.