So you want a Tummy Tuck... - Page 41 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So you want a Tummy Tuck...

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #601
r_unda

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj
Or an engine skid for a 97-02 4cyl
X2 I need one for my 4cyl to go with my nice UCF TT!

2011 WK2 HEMI 4x4 Overland
2007 WK CRD 4x4 Limited GDE Tuned
1998 TJ SE
1973 CJ5 - YJ OME 2.5" lift, 33" tires
1951 Willys truck
r_unda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #602
awalp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

One issues not mentioned is....
How does a Tummy Tuck, effect the transmission gear shifter?
After changing the engine/transmission/transfer case, location, height, and angle, on the 5-speed transmission.

I know that with a 1" MML, 1" BL, 2" TT Skid(Lowpro Mount & UCF Ultra High clearance skid), requires changes and attention to the T-Case linkage,
best and easiest solution is a Novak T-Case cable conversion kit.

I've never actually see or heard of how the shifter links to the transmission, and whether such changes require attention.

I'm assuming since nothing is mentioned about it, at most, a slight change or position in the shifter stick would be the only change, with a 5-Speed?
awalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #603
Porgie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great write up ... I've only owned my Jeep for a few months and i am still researching what to do for wheeling ... my question is how does a tummy tuck effect an LCG lift/tire combo ... I'm thinking final product of 3-4 inch suspension lift with 37 inch tires ... and other mods to make this possible
Porgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #604
D-13
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awalp View Post
After changing the engine/transmission/transfer case, location, height, and angle, on the 5-speed transmission.

I know that with a 1" MML, 1" BL, 2" TT Skid(Lowpro Mount & UCF Ultra High clearance skid), requires changes and attention to the T-Case linkage,

I've never actually see or heard of how the shifter links to the transmission, and whether such changes require attention.

I'm assuming since nothing is mentioned about it, at most, a slight change or position in the shifter stick would be the only change, with a 5-Speed?
Thats what i want to know as well, Do i need to order a new cable shifter from Novak or will the Skyjacker one work?
D-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #605
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I will chime in with my tummy tuck set up. I am currently running 4" Rough Country Long Arm, 1" Body Lift, 1" Brown Dog MML, Undercover Fabworks Extra-Clearance Carbon Steel Skid Plate 3/16" thick, and UCF Lo Pro Mount.
The skid plate does have to be cut to fit around Rough Country's LA bracket set up. After installing the skid plate, my 4WD linkage was squeaking loud and binding bad, to the point where it would not lock or unlock. I ended up ordering the Lo Pro mount from UCF. It lowered the transmission 1" down into the skid plate. It stopped the 4WD from squeaking and helped the 4WD linkage disengage. 4LO still pops out, but 4HI works fine.
To fix this, I have been looking at either Novaks cable set up, or Advanced Adapters cable and shifter set up, links included below.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/sk2xc.htm
http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/tj-cable-shifter/

Overall, I am very impressed with UCF craftsmanship and detail and Brown Dogs MML. Their products are solid and I love how much the skid plate tucks up. Also - I did not have to make any modifications to the exhaust hangers.
The Lo Pro mount does required grinding the stock flange on the mounting bracket smooth, so an angle grinder is required, and a hole will need to be drilled through the skid plate to attach the Lo Pro Mount, which a bolt and nut and washers will need to be purchased from Lowes.
I have a ton of pics of the skid plate and Lo Pro mount in my build thread. Few pics here of the MML, Skid plate, and Lo Pro mount installed. Any questions let me know.
img_0397.jpg   img_0471.jpg   img_0490.jpg   img_0509.jpg   img_0556.jpg  

2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #606
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awalp View Post

My linkage did change, the Lo Pro mount did help, but my 4LO still pops out. I more then likely just need to lengthen the "rod". My shifter did not change at all, its in the same position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-13 View Post
Thats what i want to know as well, Do i need to order a new cable shifter from Novak or will the Skyjacker one work?
I have read on here that people still had problems with the Skyjacker and Advanced Adapters "brackets." They needed to be modified to fit around the top of the tub. The easiest and most practical set up would be Novaks or Advanced Adapters cable set up to eliminate the brackets and binding issues.
Unread 05-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #607
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-13 View Post
Isn't awalp asking about transmission shifter not TC shifter?
Unread 05-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #608
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Unread 05-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #609
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

got mine.......I'm Savvier.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #610
D-13
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Yup transmission shifter, i had the skyjacker one in the box of junk so i put it on. I still pop out of 4low so i guess Novak shifter here i come.
D-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 05:54 AM   #611
undercoverfab
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_unda View Post
X2 I need one for my 4cyl to go with my nice UCF TT!
The prototyping for the 2.5 liter TJ engine skid is almost complete. I should be announcing it on the website in the next few days.
(334) 873-4000

Jeep Forum 10% Off Discount Code: jeepforum.com

Check us out on Facebook

undercoverfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #612
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverfab View Post
The prototyping for the 2.5 liter TJ engine skid is almost complete. I should be announcing it on the website in the next few days.
Excellent, because that is what I have been waiting for. Still saving up. Going to do the SYE, CA's and TT all at once for the TJ.

Will be watching.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:35 AM   #613
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockster View Post
got mine.......I'm Savvier.

Marco,

Did you get the skid under it?

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #614
Oppugnall
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a further question after reading through this post. Already done jks 1.25"bl and brown dog 1"mml. If I'm not lifting jeep further ie. suspension for atleast time being. Do I need to any extra work? As I read it seems the other parts are to adjust the pinion and drivetrain vibrations as done for any lifts beyond 3". I already have metalcloak fenders thus need no further lift especially till I wear out current tires.
Oppugnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #615
FeilEOD

I recently installed the AEV TT on my 1999 4.0, AX-15 5spd, 231 w/SYE, no body lift TJ. First, The AEV TT for my application was worth every penny. By following the detailed instructions it installed without any issues. It was a substantial improvement in ground clearance and "works" as advertised. I ran it in the "As-is" configuration on a 1K mile round trip through Black Mt OHV, Gold Mt OHV, and Windrock OHV with out any issue. I did make one slight adjustment post trip, the transmission shifter when shifting agressively into 1, 3, and 5 would sometimes make slight contact with the dash/switch panel. I simply pulled the shifter out and used a press to increase the bend to provide more clearance. Lastly, I mention this next item because I know there are some of you that are or will have T-case shift linkage issue with other manufacturer TT installs, this was not required with the AEV TT as long as you follow the instructions. I upgraded shortly after the trip to the Novak cable shifter purely for the sake of upgrade, READ: I did not NEED to do this because of the TT install. The Novak cable shifter is again worth every penny (half the price of AA's cable shifter) and installed with instructions flawlessly. The T-case shifts smoothly and easily no matter how twisted and flexed the TJ may be. I highly reccomend (who the hell am I) the Novak cable shifter for any TJ with crappy worn out T-case shifter linkage.

AEV TT installed

OUt with the old

The new

Novak cable shifter installed

Last edited by FeilEOD; 09-16-2011 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: added photos
FeilEOD is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.