So you want a Tummy Tuck... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So you want a Tummy Tuck...

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #46
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
Do you have any pictures of this skid on or off the Jeep? Also, what all else did you have to purchase to make this work? Tranny mount? Hardware?
No pics sorry - dirt_j00 will probably beat me to it.

The skid mated to the existing tranny mount - the tranny mount bolts are recessed and there is no chance of hitting them with anything.

I did have to provide my own hardware.

The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #47
alecmcmahon

Pulled this from the 2003 Unrolled thread,

Prototype for the savvy skids on geralds rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #48
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Actually, this is what Gerald said in response to a question about the skids he posted pictures of on his rig (also taken from his "2003 Unrolled" build):

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
This skid is nowhere near what the final production skids will look like.
So, that's the not Savvy skid that will be available when it comes out.
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #49
alecmcmahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGriffith View Post
Actually, this is what Gerald said in response to a question about the skids he posted pictures of on his rig (also taken from his "2003 Unrolled" build):

So, that's the not Savvy skid that will be available when it comes out.

Hence... "Prototype" i said

lol.

Love,

Alec
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #50
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmcmahon View Post
Hence... "Prototype" i said

lol.

Love,

Alec
Fair enough, but I took what Gerald said to mean that that's not a prototype, just a skid they built for his jeep.
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #51
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

STICKY maybe?

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #52
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTXTJ View Post
STICKY maybe?
This:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...embers-722109/
isn't a stickie, why would this be....
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #53
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
This:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...embers-722109/
isn't a stickie, why would this be....
hmmmmmmm, touche

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #54
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy View Post
I just installed the 3/16" UCF skid two weeks ago. Went offroad twice and noticed the improved clearance right away. I don't drop onto rocks on a regular basis so the thinner plate works for me.

I have a 1.25" BL, MML, SYE and had no clearance issues with the exhaust or anything and the fitment was good. I was able to mate my older design Skid Row skid to it after grinding away a corner of the engine skid.

The welds were ugly but sufficient and there was spatter but it's a budget entry into the field and what I expected. If someone stole it, I would buy the exact same one.
Quote:
Do you have any pictures of this skid on or off the Jeep? Also, what all else did you have to purchase to make this work? Tranny mount? Hardware?
I have the same setup (except my skid is the 1/4" version) and overall experience that Black Bellamy has had with the Undercover Fab skid: 1.25" BL, 1" MML, SYE and double cardan drive shaft with Currie adjustable rear upper arms. None of the exhaust or anything had to be changed, we just put in the SYE and what not and bolted the skid right up with no clearance issues. The hardware you do have to provide but you use the stock tranny mount so its just the six frame bolts, and I'm just using the stock ones for the time being. Here are some pics of it mine, my friend had a little fun with the spray paint haha.

Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #55
alecmcmahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGriffith View Post
Fair enough, but I took what Gerald said to mean that that's not a prototype, just a skid they built for his jeep.
hmm

10-4 roger wilco

duely noted.

( on a side note... RC on sunday the 17th , PM me if interested ! )
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #56
jvetter03
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The UCF seems to be the way to go...I'm going to try and purchase mine in the next week. Thanks for the awesome thread, but here's a question for you....

I am planning the 1"mml, the 1"bl, the SYE, and popping in a 8.8 soon.....so when is the best time to measure for the driveshaft. the belly up changes it, mml may change it a tad, the 8.8 will change it.......I just dont wanna get stuck with the wrone size $300 shaft and have to buy another one of a different size down the road......
1999 Wrangler- Locked 8.8, locked D-30, UCF Belly up, 35 Mud Kings on Crager Soft 8's, 4" SL, 2" BB, 1" MML, 1" BL, Adjustable UCA's, Adjustable LCA's, Terra SYE, DC-DS, Smittybilt Tube Fenders, Quick Disco's, Rhino Lined Tub, Neoprene Seats, Marine radio/CB, 4 KC's, Smittybilt XR8[/COLOR]
jvetter03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #57
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Obviously the very best time to measure is after you have totally finished modifying your suspension and driveline in any way

I ordered my drive shaft before the tummy tuck and when I spoke to the tech on the phone I gave him my measurements and told him I'd be getting a belly up in the future which would raise the tranny 2-2.5" and he told me that would not be a problem since their shafts had built in tolerances for that sort of thing.

I would definitely get on the phone and have a similar talk with whoever is your DS supplier.
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #58
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvetter03 View Post
The UCF seems to be the way to go for me...I'm going to try and purchase mine in the next week. Thanks for the awesome thread, but here's a question for you....
I fixed it for you. It may be right for you personally, but may not for everyone. Im guessing its right because of the lowest price?? That is not everyones concern here.. Quality, Durability, and Performance have a lot to do with my final decision. I can only speculate where this thing is made, Ive emailed them to ask where this thing is coming from because if it has anything to do with China, I wont be buying. I would rather spend the extra for quality and an American made product such as Rokmen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #59
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can only speculate where this thing is made, Ive emailed them to ask where this thing is coming from because if it has anything to do with China, I wont be buying. I would rather spend the extra for quality and an American made product such as Rokmen.
It is my understanding that UCF is located in Dothan, AL. From their "Meet The Store Owner" page, it seems this is just a small business -- I don't see anything that would make me think the Chinese are involved...do you?
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #60
pjku79
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have heard of people using different skid plates, such as Rockmen and skyjacker, with the AEV trans mount to avoid a body lift. Any comments on that? AEV Jim on their forum stated they could be sold separately for around $100. Below are pictures.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.