So you want a Tummy Tuck... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So you want a Tummy Tuck...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #31
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crqflier View Post
Great job on the write up. One question: the rear track relocation bracket - that's only needed with TT because the pinion is tilted substantially more than SYE/CV without the TT, right?
think of it this way - a TT adds 2" (or more) to your lift height. So if you've got a 2.5" lift and add a TT, the t-case is seeing a 4.5" lift. so whatever you would normally need to correct driveline angles for a 4.5" lift applies (SYE/DC,etc)

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #32
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed the 3/16" UCF skid two weeks ago. Went offroad twice and noticed the improved clearance right away. I don't drop onto rocks on a regular basis so the thinner plate works for me.

I have a 1.25" BL, MML, SYE and had no clearance issues with the exhaust or anything and the fitment was good. I was able to mate my older design Skid Row skid to it after grinding away a corner of the engine skid.

The welds were ugly but sufficient and there was spatter but it's a budget entry into the field and what I expected. If someone stole it, I would buy the exact same one.
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #33
MudDuck99
2014 JK Wrangler 

i believe i'm going to order the Undercoverfab tomorrow. I can't wait to much longer.
MudDuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #34
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy View Post
I just installed the 3/16" UCF skid two weeks ago. Went offroad twice and noticed the improved clearance right away. I don't drop onto rocks on a regular basis so the thinner plate works for me.

I have a 1.25" BL, MML, SYE and had no clearance issues with the exhaust or anything and the fitment was good. I was able to mate my older design Skid Row skid to it after grinding away a corner of the engine skid.

The welds were ugly but sufficient and there was spatter but it's a budget entry into the field and what I expected. If someone stole it, I would buy the exact same one.
Do you have any pictures of this skid on or off the Jeep? Also, what all else did you have to purchase to make this work? Tranny mount? Hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #35
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

great writeup...thanks for doing it!

08 F150 5.4L, Super 40 SIDO, Roush Grille, Edge Evolution, Truxport, 2.5" AS Level, 1.5" AAL, 35x12.5x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
wrangler2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #36
crusty1007

The OD/Nth/AEV fits without a BL with the 241 & 231.
With the 241 it requires some good luvin from a mallet, but done right doesnt look heinous.
Im having to modify the skid for a 2 speed Atlas. Its unclear currently whether I will need to modify the tub.
www.SynergySuspension.com ----> Click and download the new catalog!!!
crusty1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #37
BeerMe
1975 CJ5 

Good write up!
I have the clayton skid. Mine came unfinished.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #38
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I really like the info provided, gives me more to thunk about.

One note: A certain birdy let slip that the savvy skid will gain 4"+ with the 42rle. You might want to add that into the guide. They also say the needed 1" bl will be included. Let's hope that actually happens

Edit: I should probably mention that this will require an sye/ds even for stockers. That much gain is impressive though. I would also expect it to be very light. Appearently it will be cost efficient too (whatever that means).
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #39
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
I really like the info provided, gives me more to thunk about.

One note: A certain birdy let slip that the savvy skid will gain 4"+ with the 42rle. You might want to add that into the guide. They also say the needed 1" bl will be included. Let's hope that actually happens

Edit: I should probably mention that this will require an sye/ds even for stockers. That much gain is impressive though. I would also expect it to be very light. Appearently it will be cost efficient too (whatever that means).
I posted pics of the Savvy skid on page 2.

Quote:
Unread 01-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #40
crqflier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
think of it this way - a TT adds 2" (or more) to your lift height. So if you've got a 2.5" lift and add a TT, the t-case is seeing a 4.5" lift. so whatever you would normally need to correct driveline angles for a 4.5" lift applies (SYE/DC,etc)
understood. guess i was wondering what the "critical" lift amount is to start experiencing the binding. at 2.5" i've got no binding at ~14 degree angle. my plans to get 33's with a 2.5" lift and have good articulation and clearance are getting more expensive...
crqflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #41
JeepDoo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rough Country is currently developing a tcase skid too. Its going to be made for their long arm kit, but if you look at the design of the la, it will work on stock suspension too.

Obviously it will be competitively priced being Rough Country. Quality is also a ? being Rough Country. But i thought id add this tidbit.
We've got too many gangsters doin dirty deeds. Too much corruption and crime in the street. It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground. Send them all to their maker and he'll settle them down. - Toby Keith & Willie Nelson

[URL="http://www.norcaljeepers.net/forum/"][FONT="Century Gothic"][B][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]NOR CAL JEEPERS FORUM[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/sound-system-upgrades-speakers-amps-what-you-need-know-964324/"]Want to hear the music in your TJ, look no further...[/URL]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="White"][B]Longboard Drunk, Jeep Naked, Ski Powder[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR="LemonChiffon"][SIZE="1"]and finish calculus homework[/SIZE][/COLOR]
JeepDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #42
pjku79
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Rubi, great post. I would consolidate all the information to the first post or second post, so people dont have to search through 20 pages of posts (yep...this will hit 20 pages).
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #43
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjku79 View Post
Rubi, great post. I would consolidate all the information to the first post or second post, so people dont have to search through 20 pages of posts (yep...this will hit 20 pages).
Anything that is pointed out that needs to either be fixed or added (that is legitiment) have been added to the first post, other than the pictures which cannot all fit in the first post.

Quote:
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #44
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

rubidriver - I purchased the UCF skid on Monday and got the shipment notice today. I will post pics of it in bare metal before I paint and mount it, assuming no one beats me to it.

I waited for a while on the Savvy skid but couldn't get a straight answer on a projected release date. I think the UCF one will work out fine for my needs anyway.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #45
Tyler99TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is a great thread with a lot of good info. I have always wanted a tummy tuck but was always worried about what else I was going to need to do it complete.

I have a question about clearancing the tub. How much do you have to beat it? Do you have to pound it 1" into the cab to get the clearance a 1" body lift would give you? Do you have to remove or modify the center console? Are their any write ups or jeep builds that show how much BFHing it takes?
Tyler99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.