So you want a Tummy Tuck... - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So you want a Tummy Tuck...

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 01-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #241
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

never heard of a ceramic drill, ill have to look into it. we have ceramic inserts, so ill assume the ceramic drill is for heat treated stuff?

Want to STOP?

JEEP Co-op parts, DELRIN DOOR BUSHINGS, TRE inserts
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #242
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
never heard of a ceramic drill, ill have to look into it. we have ceramic inserts, so ill assume the ceramic drill is for heat treated stuff?
sure you've heard of ceramic drills. Titanium Nitride (TiN) is a common ceramic coating on a HSS bit, even lower quality HF or hardware store drill bits. Titanium carbo-nitride (TiCN) is a common coating on high quality drill bits - usually for machining production stuff. there are also the uber-expensive high performance equipment that spins very high rpms, where even tool balance becomes an issue. Look up PCD (polycrystalline diamond) and CBN (cubic boron nitride). more: High Speed Drill Bits - Carbide Drill Bits
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #243
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Unlimited04, I thought you are such a liar. You can't be an engineer with all of this tool knowledge. Most of those idiots just make numbers look like they are doing something Jk. Our Off-topic talk (slightly, not that far off topic) is teaching me a lot about fab. I thought slow was a go for metal. I am somewhat used to the old school method for metal drilling though. We have a drill press that is set to turn very slowly, and that thing cuts through metal as if it was blasa wood (well, the bits that haven't been destroyed).
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #244
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post

Weight is the number one reason why we want aluminum over steel. Add up all of the armor you plan or have on your Jeep and I bet you'll end up with a 5000 lb Jeep. My 04 Rubicon fully armored is 3950 lbs wet. Pretty close to stock weight. I'll bet I have a easier time on obstacles that a fully armor Jeep with steel.

5000lbs?

I weighed my jeep last Thursday at a truck stop because I needed an actual weight to help my trailer considerations.

Below is an abbreviated list of my weight adding mods, most likely what you are considering an armored up/modded jeep:

Stock TJ Sport -auto
Full replacement front steel tube fenders
Full steel crusher corners with 3" steel flare
Teraflex belly up
Rokmen heavy *** control arms
Currie HD Steering
Kilby Gas tank skid
Poison Spyder Front Stinger
Gen-Right Rear Stinger
Warn M8000 winch with steel winch line
Poison Spyder Trail Cage with Rear Spreader Bar
Rubicon 44 Front with 30 spline alloy shafts
Rubicon 44 Rear with 30 spline alloy shafts
37x13.5 Pitbull Rockers on 15x8 steel wheels. Each wheel and tire combo weighs ~110lbs and I have 5.
CO2 OBA Setup
Warn Rock Sliders
10" Sub and box

And my gas tank was half full.

Total weight 4220lbs with no driver. And that is with roughly 600lbs of wheels and tires.

Now, all of that said, I would love to get to under 4000lbs and if your armor is what will do it, I will most likely be stripping down a lot of my steel. That and your big brake kit, the 37"s push straight through the Rubi disc brakes on steep descents.

REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #245
pjku79
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I know the weight is minor, but with all the talk about lowering the LCG of a rig, wouldn't taking the steal bumper and skid raise it?
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #246
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
sure you've heard of ceramic drills. Titanium Nitride (TiN) is a common ceramic coating on a HSS bit, even lower quality HF or hardware store drill bits. Titanium carbo-nitride (TiCN) is a common coating on high quality drill bits - usually for machining production stuff. there are also the uber-expensive high performance equipment that spins very high rpms, where even tool balance becomes an issue. Look up PCD (polycrystalline diamond) and CBN (cubic boron nitride). more: High Speed Drill Bits - Carbide Drill Bits
that is stretching it, coating is different.

We have cutters at work that spin at 40k rpm, they do require balancing. but ill stick to my original statement. Ive never heard of a ceramic drill before.

Want to STOP?

Unread 01-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #247
Sobie
Bolt-on Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjku79 View Post
I know the weight is minor, but with all the talk about lowering the LCG of a rig, wouldn't taking the steal bumper and skid raise it?
The amount of weight in a bumper or skid that you lose is negligible to the CG. If you changed from all steal bumpers and armor to all aluminum, you may notice a difference. But I doubt the CG would change enough to notice. You'd feel your Jeep become nimble again.
Unread 01-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #248
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i think a full aluminum jeep would be alot less than 3900lbs...
rs4race is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #249
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

you could get away with alot less motor too, a big CI 4 banger, or a forced induction 4 banger would be good

Want to STOP?

Unread 01-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #250
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
i think a full aluminum jeep would be alot less than 3900lbs...
Actually, you are probably right. I think my original estimation was way off. I think a stock TJ weighs something like 3,500 lbs. If you figure that a well designed aluminum structure can weight abotu 25% less than an equally built piece (just throwing out a number there), that is like saying that we will save about 1k off of a 4k rig. So... that is more like 3,000 lbs.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #251
Sobie
Bolt-on Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
you could get away with alot less motor too, a big CI 4 banger, or a forced induction 4 banger would be good
Which would be even lighter! Or an all aluminum 4 cylinder would be better still.
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #252
JohnyPro
2006 LJ Wrangler 

there are times I wish I didn't live on the east coast...and that I made a donkey load more money than I do...damn...I'd like to be SAVVY...someday...
CT Jeep Member #19
Yellow Jeep Member # 104
LJ Owners Group Member # 140

PMA: Positive Mental Attitude

- It's what reminds you as you're stuck in the mud, that at least you're stuck in the mud and not in an office cubicle!

God is great, Beer is good, an' people are crazy!

[QUOTE][COLOR="DarkRed"][B]DEVILDG03[/B][/COLOR]
This is my Jeep. There are many like it, but this one is mine.[/QUOTE]
JohnyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #253
jvetter03
1999 TJ Wrangler 

BAM!...........just purchased the UCF 1/4" Carbon steel Belly up! I figured that a coat of paint will keep the rust away, and that extra 40 lbs or so over the aluminum one won't change my CG enough to account for the higher expense of aluminum. Cant wait!! btw, UCF seem to be really good at sending confirmation emails and status reports...good PR!
1999 Wrangler- Locked 8.8, locked D-30, UCF Belly up, 35 Mud Kings on Crager Soft 8's, 4" SL, 2" BB, 1" MML, 1" BL, Adjustable UCA's, Adjustable LCA's, Terra SYE, DC-DS, Smittybilt Tube Fenders, Quick Disco's, Rhino Lined Tub, Neoprene Seats, Marine radio/CB, 4 KC's, Smittybilt XR8[/COLOR]
jvetter03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #254
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Why is it that people seem to think weight is purely about center of gravity?
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #255
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
Why is it that people seem to think weight is purely about center of gravity?
Because someone has coined LCG as a term that is supposed to mean something.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.