So you want a Tummy Tuck... - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So you want a Tummy Tuck...

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #196
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBK View Post
Ah crap, anyone want to buy a 1/4 steel UCF skidplate, never mounted, anyone?
How much is that going to cost?

JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #197
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok... So I was proposed an interesting offer. Now I need to figure out if I really need all of the things listed in the first post. The biggest question I have is about the sye/ds associated stuff. My jeep sits at stock height, and 2.5" of lift at the belly can't really be that much that I need to worry about it, is it? I would say I should be fine without anything to reduce vibes. If I do have vibes 1"mml should take care of that right? The UCF website suggests a 1" BL to help clearance, but I would rather dimple the tunnel for now if needed. my main reason for getting a TT RIGHT NOW as in before any building occurs would be that I need to get rid of the acursed 42rle stocker vibe. When I start building I would opt for a savvier solution that gets more clearance and is lighter.

The forum was also just down for a minute
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #198
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboyd View Post
I'll admit there is no logic. I just figure that if 3 out of my 4 skids are going to be aluminum I might as well purchase an aluminum steering box skid so the 4th one matches. Yes, I'm anal.
I'm in agreement, I'm the same way.

Quote:
Most people won't replace their steel skid if they already have one but if they're just beginning to armor up and they're looking at an aluminum TC skid and fuel tank skid they might as well buy an aluminum version of the steering box skid.
Most convincing bit of logic yet. I hadn't taken the thought process that far out.
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #199
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well... after receiving a PM from undercover fab, the skid only raises the drive train about 1.5". That is such a little mount that there should be no issues with needing a BL, or sye and associated stuffs. I would snap one up for my next few years before a proper one went in, I just need to see if I can get away with spending some more money on the Jeep now. Its real owner was flipping out that I spent an extra $20 in gas. I will just have to take her for a ride and point out the horrible annoyance.

Last edited by LuckRider; 01-15-2010 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: Its not It's
Unread 01-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #200
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I'm in agreement, I'm the same way.

Most convincing bit of logic yet. I hadn't taken the thought process that far out.
I would think anyone who bought your aluminum front bumper would want an aluminum steering box skid. I wonder if you could build it all into one piece, would that be to hard to install if they were both connected?
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #201
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emev0l View Post
I would think anyone who bought your aluminum front bumper would want an aluminum steering box skid. I wonder if you could build it all into one piece, would that be to hard to install if they were both connected?
I guess I keep going back to the intended use of the bumpers, and in fact most of our products.

Nothing is intended to be left unpainted, or in it's natural state with the exception of the plated steel flanges for the gas tank skid.

With that in mind, I guess I just figured if you paint the bumper black and your steel steering skid is painted black, does it really matter?

As far as making it one piece, that will never happen. You need to look at some of the parts in the flat pattern before they get formed and look at how many you get on a sheet of material. Obviously the more parts you get per sheet, the better your material costs are going to be. With a narrow 12" extension hanging off of one side, your nesting would go to hell in a hurry.
Unread 01-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #202
LSU_TJ
TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
Well... after receiving a PM from undercover fab, the skid only raises the drive train about 1.5". That is such a little mount that there should be no issues with needing a BL, or sye and associated stuffs. I would snap one up for my next few years before a proper one went in, I just need to see if I can get away with spending some more money on the Jeep now. Its real owner was flipping out that I spent an extra $20 in gas. I will just have to take her for a ride and point out the horrible annoyance.

Now we're talking. Let us know how that works out.

If you get permission....

LSU_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #203
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU_TJ View Post
Now we're talking. Let us know how that works out.

If you get permission....

YEAH!!!!.... about that. My mom flipped when she saw that I put the $20 bucks for gas on my credit card, and then spent $10 of the $20 I was given for driving to go snowboarding (I put $40 on the card, and I was given $20 by the passengers). She went into a rant about how I can't be trusted, and how I was supposed to put the money in the bank to pay for the gas. I said I wasn't going to put the money in the bank just to take it back out so I had money to spend, but she didn't understand. Looks like I won't be taking care of the 42rle vibe yet
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #204
motobob
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I recently installed the skyjacker TT and I am slightly concerned that there are only two mounting holes on each side of the skid? It is not what they have in their pic. Also my transmission bolts now hang below the skid. anyone else have one of these.
motobob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #205
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobob View Post
I recently installed the skyjacker TT and I am slightly concerned that there are only two mounting holes on each side of the skid? It is not what they have in their pic. Also my transmission bolts now hang below the skid. anyone else have one of these.
i run one and dont have the problems that you are describing.
Unread 01-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #206
nsjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Rear lower shock mount extenders- Anybody had to run these with nth degree tt? I have 3" suspension lift and 1" BL and all JKS arms so adjusting is not a problem. I am very close to pulling the trigger but don't want to mess with shock shifters.

To really do tummy tuck on my Jeep right now I only need the TT and DS. But just want to verify I am not going to run into any surprise.
nsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:44 AM   #207
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjeep View Post
Rear lower shock mount extenders- Anybody had to run these with nth degree tt? I have 3" suspension lift and 1" BL and all JKS arms so adjusting is not a problem. I am very close to pulling the trigger but don't want to mess with shock shifters.

To really do tummy tuck on my Jeep right now I only need the TT and DS. But just want to verify I am not going to run into any surprise.
It all depends how much your pinion has to be rotated and how thick the can of your shock is. You probably will need it, having a TJ with a 3" lift and all. They are a really easy mod, 1 hole needs to be drilled and are very very easy to istall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #208
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjeep View Post

If you can put your shock cans on the top instead of the bottom you shouldn't need them, or you can cut your spring perches so your shocks don't hit.
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #209
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just cut the perches. Effective and free.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #210
rob78
2004 TJ Wrangler 

subscribed
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.